Pauses in MKV Playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
persona

Pauses in MKV Playback

Post by persona »

Hello,

I recently ripped a few episodes off of a tv-show DVD into mkv format using MakeMKV. On some of my episodes I have a slight pause within the video. This pause always occurs at the same point in the video (it is a problem with the produced MKV not the video player).

My *guess* is that this is occurring where VOB files are merged. The episodes of the show are split across VOBs on the DVD, so no episode is within a single VOB. MakeMKV must be splitting and merging the videos and leaving a pause. This is common for most tv-show DVDs I have come across.

I have not had this issue before so I suspect it is an incompatibility with the particular DVDs (The M*A*S*H tv series release).

Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have perfect rips :). I am backing up my DVDs in ISO format, but individual MKVs are much more convenient to browse through and watch on a computer.

Thanks for your help, and thank you for such an excellent product ^^.

Edit: Made the subject title a bit clearer.
Last edited by persona on Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
persona

Re: Pauses in Extracted Titles

Post by persona »

Should add that it always seems to coincide with a camera change. I am guessing that VOB switches occur at camera changes in case the DVD player introduces a momentary pause.
spinnybarr

Re: Pauses in MKV Playback

Post by spinnybarr »

I think we are having the same problem (see http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3613)

I've verified that other programs such as dvd::rip (linux) and dvd decryptor (windows) both behave correctly and create an output file without pauses.

Edit: dvd decryptor actually does have a pause, I can get the same results whether i use makemkv on dvd or on the local copy generated by dvd decrypter.

I'd be surprised if this isnt a more widespread problem, many of the video's i've ripped have this problem and its particularly telltale when my AV receiver flashes its blue light on/off/on momentarily during the pause (digital surround light)
Last edited by spinnybarr on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

I wonder if this might have something to do with "layer breaks"?

Perhaps "mike admin" can comment...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Do you get any messages in MakeMKV (with "log debug messages" enabled in preferences)? MakeMKV just joins two VOB segments together - there shouldn't be any pause with this.
persona

Post by persona »

The only error messages I see is:

"001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 233 at b84kBWAwtakw+rleB8N1/Q/+:0"

This occurs during the disk analysis process, not the ripping process.

I isolated one of the pauses and ran a few tests. Playing the DVD in Windows Media Player yields no problem (video/audio continue over the problem time in the video without issue). Playing the DVD in VLC the video component flutters at the time in which the pause occurs, but the audio continues just fine. With the MKV created by MakeMKV it pauses for like 200-500ms, both audio and video.

The pauses always seem to occur at a camera or scene change.