Subtitles are Not Being Extracted

Everything related to MakeMKV
TanMan

Subtitles are Not Being Extracted

Post by TanMan »

I've downloaded a DVD and am trying to rip it using MakeMKV. According to MakeMKV, the DVD contains subtitles in many languages. I've selected only the video and the English subtitles. I click Save, and the MKV is created. However, the resulting MKV contains NO subtitles! What am I doing wrong???

I wanted to post screenshots of MakeMKV and MediaInfo of the resulting MKV, but it seems I'm not allowed to post pictures on this forum as I'm a new member.
Radiocomms237

Re: Subtitles are Not Being Extracted

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Yep, screenshots would've helped!

Check the log after the file ripped, does it say something like 'Subtitle track #2 was empty and therefore removed' (can't remember the exact wording, sorry)?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Without seeing the extraction, it's impossible to say. If you told MakeMKV to only pull "forced" subtitles, you could have an all-but-empty subtitle track, or an empty one that was removed.
TanMan

Post by TanMan »

Here's the log:

Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Temp
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'D:/Temp/C1_t00.mkv' (title #1)
AV sync issue in stream 2 at 0:00:00 : Track #2 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
1 titles saved

It looks like the DVD has some type of copy protection making the subtitles wonky. Any way around this?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I doubt that it's any kind of copy protection. Can we assume you've confirmed that the subtitles you're after do actually work when you play the disc in a regular player?

Can you post screenshots yet? It would be helpful to see your setup (from the left pane) prior to ripping. Maybe try NOT de-selecting any tracks and see what ends-up in the .mkv file?

If it's on the disc then MakeMKV should be able to retrieve it, however, sometimes discs do have 'dummy' tracks added so that, for example, every file has an English subtitle in track position #2, whether it has content or not. This keeps your selections consistent as you play different titles from (and including) the disc menu.

Also, could you let us know the DVD title? Maybe someone here has the same disc?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

TanMan wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:20 pm
I wanted to post screenshots of MakeMKV and MediaInfo of the resulting MKV, but it seems I'm not allowed to post pictures on this forum as I'm a new member.
It's really good then that you can simply select View > Text in Mediainfo and copy/paste it into your post (in between code tags preferrably).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
TanMan

Post by TanMan »

Still can't post pictures. :( And my posts still need to be approved, so there's a delay of a day or two after my post before it appears here. I've requested the admins bump my profile up, but still no love.
Radiocomms237 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:27 pm
...Can we assume you've confirmed that the subtitles you're after do actually work when you play the disc in a regular player?
Good suggestion dude to play the video. Rather than burn a DVD, I just played the VIDEO_TS folder in VLC. VLC sees the English subtitles and allows me to select them, but selecting English doesn't actually play any subtitles. So it appears the DVD copy itself is corrupted. So it's not a MakeMKV problem after all.

Thanks everyone for they're help. I'll just download a different version.