LG BP50NB40 - Hard Drive?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Sideways02

LG BP50NB40 - Hard Drive?

Post by Sideways02 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:49 pm

Hi all, I've got something strange going on with my LG Blu-ray Drive BP50NB40, whenever I plug it into my Windows machine, the computer recognizes the device but thinks it is an external hard disk drive and not an optical drive.

I reflashed the drive years ago to use the BP60NB10 firmware which enabled Libredrive and everything was fine, no problems up until a few days ago.

I have ordered a replacement drive, but in the meantime, is it possible at all to fix this one? I'm assuming I'd have to reflash firmware again which I'd be fine with, but I need Windows to see it as an optical drive. LG's website is unhelpful as to finding drivers so I can force install them, and I don't have the DVD that came with the drive anymore. Maybe someone has a copy of the drivers I can try to get it working again?

Woodstock

Re: LG BP50NB40 - Hard Drive?

Post by Woodstock » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm

If Windows is treating it as a hard drive, flashing won't help, really. It isn't a case of the firmware being "not right", but Windows.

Have you shut down your computer recently, and started it back up? That's the usual way to reset hardware.

Sideways02

Re: LG BP50NB40 - Hard Drive?

Post by Sideways02 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:01 pm

Yes, I've completely shut down and restarted. Even does it on a fresh install of Windows 10. My Laptop also does the same thing. I could try it on Linux but I'm not sure how to access it from there.