General problem - many blu-rays skippy/jumpy - frame loss?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs

How many of your MakeMKV bluray rips suffer jumpy playback?

None at all
71%
A very small number
No votes
Quite a few
29%
More than half
No votes

Total votes: 7

skippy

General problem - many blu-rays skippy/jumpy - frame loss?

#1 Post by skippy » Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 am

Abuot 30% of the discs I rip come out very "jumpy".

Does anyone else notice that some rips play nicely, while others suffer from noticable "jerkiness" (very obvious during pans) during playback?

I've tried ripping the same problem DVD on 3 different PCs (including one using AnyDVD to present an uprotected DVD to MakeMKV) - the MD5 of the resulting output files is identical in all 3 cases - so I'm suspecting that MakeMKV might be implicated in the problem - assuming it's not some issues with my systems paying back the content (which is the same "jerky" problem on 3 different PCs again...)

Navvie

Re: General problem - many blu-rays skippy/jumpy - frame los

#2 Post by Navvie » Tue May 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Currently ripped approx 12 blu-rays and they al play fine on my Q9650 (3.8GHz) with 8800GT.

They struggle to play properly on my Athlon II X2 240e machine, but I put that down to having no gfx card hardware assist at present.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE

ToxicDreamz

#3 Post by ToxicDreamz » Fri May 06, 2011 4:30 am

You should use VLC Media Player. If you ARE using VLC, go to the VLC preferences and go to the advanced settings > Video codecs > FFmpeg

You should now see an option that says "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding". Set the box list next to it to "All". Save and restart VLC and now play your MKV file.

evilcartman

#4 Post by evilcartman » Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 am

None of those things is the problem and the OP has it right. This is an annoying bug that has persisted since 09, in in which all, now many, bluray rips VC-1 streams are missing FPS code in the header. Just demux it and see. Then remux it proper and it will work fine on most hardware.

I will bet the OP can play the original bluray streams just fine on the hardware that cannot play the mkvs. It is a particular kind of jerkiness that is not indicative of lack of power.

The mkvs even lacking this header info play just fine on modern gpu's with VLC but nothing else will play them.

Still waiting for this one to be fixed. Do not know if it is VC-1 or what.

ToxicDreamz

#5 Post by ToxicDreamz » Sun May 15, 2011 2:39 pm

I've ripped over 40 Blu-ray movies now without jerkiness. They all play fine for me in both VLC and XBMC. However, I have seen the jerkiness that you're referring during certain movies when I had my FFmpeg settings set to default. It required some tweaking to get them to play fluidly. It wasn't a lack of power type jerkiness... I agree... it was very weird.

baubb

#6 Post by baubb » Mon May 23, 2011 1:10 am

evilcartman wrote:None of those things is the problem and the OP has it right. This is an annoying bug that has persisted since 09, in in which all, now many, bluray rips VC-1 streams are missing FPS code in the header. Just demux it and see. Then remux it proper and it will work fine on most hardware.
I'm seeing the same problem here, so... speaking as a newbie here, how do I demux/remux properly? I'd like to give this a try.