Two versions of movie on blu-ray disc? Deathly Hallows

Everything related to MakeMKV
jabster

Two versions of movie on blu-ray disc? Deathly Hallows

Post by jabster »

Hi.

I've noticed this on a couple of discs recently. In this case specifically, with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there appear to be two complete(?) versions of the movie on the disc. One is 29 chapters, and one is 30 chapters. From the Best Buy site, it officially has 30 chapters.

Does anyone know what the two listings are? Are there actually two versions of the movie on the one disc? Or is it some quirk with makemkv?

Oddly, the 30 chapter version is 2:26:05, while the 29 chapter version is longer at 2:47:50, but is a slightly smaller file size.

While they both have the DTS-HD english audio, the 30 chapter listing has more DD3/2 in other languages, and more subtitles.

I don't have a blu-ray player, so I can't just pop the disc in and see what my options are. (I have a blu-ray drive obviously, but no way to watch on my computer.) I suppose I could rip both and watch them both, but I don't really have the time to sit there and focus on the movie twice, in a time frame where I'd notice any differences. :)

I'm currently running 1.6.3 on linux.

Also, I only rip the english DTS and forced english subtitles.

thanks,
john
crowfax

Re: Two versions of movie on blu-ray disc? Deathly Hallows

Post by crowfax »

One of them is probably an analysis of the film, where they pause it and talk about it. Something like that.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@jabster

Hi!

I believe one of them is called "Maximum Movie Mode", described in a review as follows:
— Actor Jason Issacs hosts this Maximum Movie Mode. Many other crew members pop up along the way. Producer David Heyman comes along near the beginning to talk about a deleted scene between Harry and Dudley and why they had to cut it. This scene is included in the additional scenes, but it's nice to have someone close to the film explain why it was cut and what purpose it served. The production designer Stuart Craig stops by to tell us about the movie's dark and ominous look and also lets us in on a secret that they studied 'Citizen Kane' for the look of this movie. Tom Felton comes along every now and then to explain more about what is happening by reading passages from the book. These are invaluable to a person who hasn't read the books. I really enjoyed this part of this Maximum Movie Mode. Even though there are quite a few dead spots without any Maximum Movie Mode events happening, this is a great companion to the movie. It explains much more in-depth information about the movie and talks about where deleted scenes would have been inserted. Issacs comes along every now and then with interesting tidbits of trivia about the 'Harry Potter' universe. Overall, this isn't just for fans, it's for anyone who wants to know more about the movie and its source material.

jabster

Post by jabster »

All-righty-then. Thanks.
-john
setarip_old wrote:@jabster

Hi!

I believe one of them is called "Maximum Movie Mode", described in a review as follows:
— Actor Jason Issacs hosts this Maximum Movie Mode. Many other crew members pop up along the way. Producer David Heyman comes along near the beginning to talk about a deleted scene between Harry and Dudley and why they had to cut it. This scene is included in the additional scenes, but it's nice to have someone close to the film explain why it was cut and what purpose it served. The production designer Stuart Craig stops by to tell us about the movie's dark and ominous look and also lets us in on a secret that they studied 'Citizen Kane' for the look of this movie. Tom Felton comes along every now and then to explain more about what is happening by reading passages from the book. These are invaluable to a person who hasn't read the books. I really enjoyed this part of this Maximum Movie Mode. Even though there are quite a few dead spots without any Maximum Movie Mode events happening, this is a great companion to the movie. It explains much more in-depth information about the movie and talks about where deleted scenes would have been inserted. Issacs comes along every now and then with interesting tidbits of trivia about the 'Harry Potter' universe. Overall, this isn't just for fans, it's for anyone who wants to know more about the movie and its source material.

setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

You're quite welcome ;>}