Blurays with a single chapter don't let you name it

Everything related to MakeMKV
thetoad

Blurays with a single chapter don't let you name it

Post by thetoad »

So, when i open a bluray in MakeMKV it will show the titles and the number of chapters in them. i.e. 9, 1 or sometimes doesn't show any.

for the ones where it doesn't show any, that makes sense that I can't name the title, but for titles with 1 chapter, I should be able to name the title.

As a simple example. I'm ripping outlander season 5, and I rip the deleted scenes as a single episode playlist which can have 1 or multiple chapters. each deleted scene is named, so I want to name the files as Deleted Scene - SxxEyy.mkv and name the chapters for the deleted scene, but for the playlists with only one chapter (i.e. episode with one deleted scene), I can't.
dcoke22

Re: Blurays with a single chapter don't let you name it

Post by dcoke22 »

I opened several backups I had lying around and was able to modify the names of several single chapter titles. I am using 1.15.2 on MacOS Mojave. What are you using? Also, do you have more examples than Outlander? I don't happen to have that show to check.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

on linux. I can test others, it was just something I noticed, that for titles that said 1 Chapter, there was no Chapters element of the title tree in the UI for the discs I was dealing with (there were other titles that had nothing listed as Chapters, and that would make sense for those)

this is on 1.15.3 (i.e. latest)
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

just saw it again, on "And Then We Danced" (Georgian Dance documentary)
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I've just submitted a feature request on this subject here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29227

I would dearly love to be able to name single chapters and have them included in the output file.

At the moment I need to remux the output file with MKVmerge to add a single chapter back in, but that gets rather tedious after a while.
demon

Post by demon »

You should be able to update them with mkvpropedit, you shouldn't need to remux the whole file just to alter the chapters.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I haven't tried mkvpropedit but MakeMKV removes single chapters altogether, so there is nothing to alter.

Will mkvpropedit allow you to add chapters without muxing?
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

What I realized is (years after I made the OP). This goes with MakeMKV trying to be "too smart". sometimes it remuxes playlists (what I'll call "playlist mode"), sometimes it remuxes m2ts files (what I'll call m2ts mode). (side bar: in practice, its playlist support isn't correct, as it doesn't support in/out marks, so will just use the whole m2ts file, but that's a different issue).

In this case, if its a single chapter playlist, makemkv doesn't do it in "playlist" mode, but in m2ts mode without any chapters. My workaround was to load it mkvtoolnix-gui and just add the chapter name, annoying, but in practice it doesn't look like the gui is really changing, and the only improvements happening are to the ripping engine, so one lives with it.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

thetoad wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:25 am
~ it doesn't look like the gui is really changing, and the only improvements happening are to the ripping engine ~
This is a huge disappointment. I mean, yes, the inner-workings are important, but the user-base only really notices that when there's a problem, whereas we all have to deal with the GUI being in-our-face all day every day.

There are a few (what I would consider) minor tweaks that would save me hours per day, like the ability to select and set properties for multiple lines at once.

Or not having to do a full backup to get access to PiP tracks.

I guess all we can do is wait in hope?