Bad Cell

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
n5lfy123

Bad Cell

Post by n5lfy123 »

Background: about 7 years ago, I ripped 20+ home-video VHS tapes to DVD using a Samsung DVD-VR357 all-in-one unit. I also copied all the DVD files to my NAS. This isn't copy-protected content, so no decryption tools needed.

Now I'm trying to transcode all the DVD files to MKV. It works about half the time. The other half gives me a navigation error. Note the DVD files will play fine in VLC media player.
MakeMKV v1.17.1 win(x64-release) started
Opening files on harddrive at //ds220plus/video/Source Files/Done 2002-03 to 2003-01 Video 8 Tape #10/2002-03 to 2003-01 Video 8 Tape #10 Part A VIDEO_TS
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 784 != 6928
Navigation information is invalid around 1:12:19 - check output file for AV sync errors
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
Navigation information is invalid around 1:12:19 - check output file for AV sync errors
Title #1 (1:12:15) was skipped due to navigation error
I have tried manual mode and I get the following source information:
Disc Information
Label : DVD-VR01
Titles count : 2

Title information
1: 1/1 - 15 chapter(s) 1:12:15 217 cell(s)
2: 1/2 - 15 chapter(s) 1:12:15 217 cell(s)
So I try "1:1-15" for the string and get this:
Open DVD manually : "1:1-15"
IFO file for VTS #1 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
Failed to open disc
Or I try this for the string "1:@1-@217" and get this:
Open DVD manually : "1:@1-@217"
Failed to open disc
Or I try this "1:@217"
Open DVD manually : "1:@217"
Navigation information is invalid around 0:00:15 - check output file for AV sync errors
Navigation information is invalid around 0:00:15 - check output file for AV sync errors
Failed to open disc
So I'm sure that cell 217 is the bad cell.

Finally I can just do this "1" for the string and it works but it drops cell 217, which has about 15 seconds of good video.
Open DVD manually : "1"
Cells 217-217 were removed from title end
Title #1 was added (216 cell(s), 1:12:00)
Operation successfully completed
So is there any way to "repair" the navigation error in cell 217? It seems like the Samsung DVD burner screwed something up at the very end of the DVD and it is preventing MKV from getting the last cell of video.

Things I've tried:
  • I've tried manual mode on Title 2 and get the same response.
  • Gone back and gotten the DVD and tried MakeMKV on the actual DVD, not just the files on the NAS and I get the same issue.
  • Tried to download and look at the VOB file with VobEdit but had no idea what I was looking at.
The sad thing is that my Samsung VHS->DVD ripper has died sitting in storage for 7 years, and no-one makes new VHS players now so I'm really worried about the lost videos. At least I can open them in manual mode and rip them with the last cell dropped. That's better than nothing but I'm hoping someone here has a good idea.

Thanks in advance.
dcoke22

Re: Bad Cell

Post by dcoke22 »

It is a shot in the dark, but could you open your files in a video editing program? If an editing program can read it all, it could then export it it again (perhaps in a newer format).