Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
staknhalo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by staknhalo »

ChuckDV wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:12 pm
Hello,
I've just ripped Westworld S01 UHDs and have several questions about it.
Judging by DV EL bitrate (120 kb/s) it looks like a P7 MEL release, but seems to be encoded as a P7 FEL (reported by MakeMKV and DoVi Scripts_1.4.7/dovitool). I'm not an expert in the DV metadata info and just demuxed the S01E01 track into BL+RPU+EL. RPU is 18mb and EL is 58mb. When converted to MKV and played back, the EL-only track seems to look like a standard MEL - just plain grey image for the whole duration of the file. I've uploaded EL and RPU https://www.dropbox.com/sh/154396onvqld ... mG1Ja?dl=0. Would appreciate it very much, if somebody more knowledgeable could take a look what's really going on in these DV layers and if it's safe to just convert it to P8 without loosing anything (for archival purposes). Thanks a lot!

Westworld is MEL

Extract only the EL HEVC stream off any p7 UHD and put it into an mkv container and play it, if it's all green on playback it's MEL, if it's grey/white and you see motion artifacts (usually reddish and greenish squares here and there) it's FEL, as you did.

All p7 is FEL technically IIRC, it's the UHD DV delivery profile/package, MEL is a sub type of FEL between 'real' FEL and MEL, so to speak
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Ok, I did another comparison. I can say for sure that there IS a difference between the internal player and the x800m2 with the MEL DV Spears and Munsil clip.
The internal player clearly pushes red and yellow more(similar to what we see on the shield with the red push and before you ask, there are no red spots on the doctor sleep sample :) ).
In some scenes, the brightness is exactly the same, in some other scenes it's a bit darker, and in other scenes, it's brighter which points to the L1 issue, I think.

So in this video, I recorded both clips separately with my DSLR camera using the same setting with the auto-exposure locked. Then I just synced and put them side by side in Premiere.
Left= internal player Right= x800m2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsZqpOpO38

now, which one is correct? I still don't know but I'll compare a lot more content this way.
and here are a couple of screenshot comparisons from the original videos (easier to see the brightness difference):
https://slow.pics/c/6WQHKJ7u

deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:24 am
Ok, I did another comparison. I can say for sure that there IS a difference between the internal player and the x800m2 with the MEL DV Spears and Munsil clip.
The internal player clearly pushes red and yellow more(similar to what we see on the shield with the red push and before you ask, there are no red spots on the doctor sleep sample :) ).
In some scenes, the brightness is exactly the same, in some other scenes it's a bit darker, and in other scenes, it's brighter which points to the L1 issue, I think.

So in this video, I recorded both clips separately with my DSLR camera using the same setting with the auto-exposure locked. Then I just synced and put them side by side in Premiere.
Left= internal player Right= x800m2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsZqpOpO38

now, which one is correct? I still don't know but I'll compare a lot more content this way.
and here are a couple of screenshot comparisons from the original videos (easier to see the brightness difference):
https://slow.pics/c/6WQHKJ7u

I looked at the screenshot comparisons and to me x800m2 is only marginally brighter than internal player in some, and look the same in the rest.

Anyway, this whole Dolby Vision situation is sad. It's supposed to be the standard, yet inconsistency remains and it's very hard to get an answer out of Dolby. Have you heard about Dolby Vision gaming on Xbox? It upscales sdr/hdr games to fake Dolby Vision... What??? How can Dolby allow shit like that to happen? And don't get me even started on Dolby Vision support on PC.

What are the alternatives to the x700/X800m2 I wonder? Compared to other devices, those players seem to be the most complete solution - can handle all types of Dolby vision layer files and internal subtitles with very few drawbacks. I can't use PLEX because my internet speed is below 100Mbps. And do you know if this Dolby Vision issue is exclusive to usb playback or it expands to disc version as well?
ChuckDV

Post by ChuckDV »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:48 pm
ChuckDV wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:12 pm
Hello,
I've just ripped Westworld S01 UHDs and have several questions about it.
Judging by DV EL bitrate (120 kb/s) it looks like a P7 MEL release, but seems to be encoded as a P7 FEL (reported by MakeMKV and DoVi Scripts_1.4.7/dovitool). I'm not an expert in the DV metadata info and just demuxed the S01E01 track into BL+RPU+EL. RPU is 18mb and EL is 58mb. When converted to MKV and played back, the EL-only track seems to look like a standard MEL - just plain grey image for the whole duration of the file. I've uploaded EL and RPU https://www.dropbox.com/sh/154396onvqld ... mG1Ja?dl=0. Would appreciate it very much, if somebody more knowledgeable could take a look what's really going on in these DV layers and if it's safe to just convert it to P8 without loosing anything (for archival purposes). Thanks a lot!

Westworld is MEL

Extract only the EL HEVC stream off any p7 UHD and put it into an mkv container and play it, if it's all green on playback it's MEL, if it's grey/white and you see motion artifacts (usually reddish and greenish squares here and there) it's FEL, as you did.

All p7 is FEL technically IIRC, it's the UHD DV delivery profile/package, MEL is a sub type of FEL between 'real' FEL and MEL, so to speak
Great, so FEL it is then. EL is grey and looks pretty static to me (no color squares or silhouettes to be seen), maybe it's doing very basic corrections ... My assumption was (because of ultra low bitrate of 120kb/s) that it is a FEL-encoded empty EL (like with MEL). Thanks.
Amused

Post by Amused »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:34 pm
Amused wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 pm
Which workflow do you recommend in that case?
I couldn’t find version 1.4.8 of your script on the link in you signature, where can it be downloaded?
Many thanks
in each mode, there's always one workflow that doesnt touch the audio at all.
1.4.7 is the right version. I'm always one version ahead.

Thanks! I went through the lengthy process but got an error at the end. Any suggestions?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (130.73 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
UHD players: Sony X700, Zidoo Z1000 Pro
Audio system: Sony HT-A9
TV: Sony 77A80J
djanvi2020

Post by djanvi2020 »

hey guys

i have an interesting conundrum, i have got The Craft UHD and this one when i use the MP4 option it seems to choose the wrong audio format, the movie has a DTS-HD Master 5.1 and a 2 CH and it seems to only choose the 2 channel one and its frustrating me like crazy, how do i get around this and choose the 5.1 version,

do i have to use another option that i have to demux it and then compile or as a suggestion to add to the script, can we have the choice for the audio track before we choose the Subtitle before it then starts the composition?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

djanvi2020 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:49 am
hey guys
i have an interesting conundrum, i have got The Craft UHD and this one when i use the MP4 option it seems to choose the wrong audio format, the movie has a DTS-HD Master 5.1 and a 2 CH and it seems to only choose the 2 channel one and its frustrating me like crazy, how do i get around this and choose the 5.1 version,
do i have to use another option that i have to demux it and then compile or as a suggestion to add to the script, can we have the choice for the audio track before we choose the Subtitle before it then starts the composition?
weird, I'll check it out. thanks for reporting
deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:18 am
I looked at the screenshot comparisons and to me x800m2 is only marginally brighter than internal player in some, and look the same in the rest.
Anyway, this whole Dolby Vision situation is sad. It's supposed to be the standard, yet inconsistency remains and it's very hard to get an answer out of Dolby. Have you heard about Dolby Vision gaming on Xbox? It upscales sdr/hdr games to fake Dolby Vision... What??? How can Dolby allow shit like that to happen? And don't get me even started on Dolby Vision support on PC.
What are the alternatives to the x700/X800m2 I wonder? Compared to other devices, those players seem to be the most complete solution - can handle all types of Dolby vision layer files and internal subtitles with very few drawbacks. I can't use PLEX because my internet speed is below 100Mbps. And do you know if this Dolby Vision issue is exclusive to usb playback or it expands to disc version as well?
I disagree, the difference is not marginal and this is exactly the kind of difference i was expecting. Of course it wont be as drastic as in the patterns because L2 works properly.
Now the color saturation is bigger problem I think and don't know which one is right.
sure the x700 supports FEL, but FEL is unnoticeable 99% of the time.
You dont need an internet connection at all to stream local rip, btw. The wifi is fast enough but i use an usb to giagbit ethernet adaptor.
Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:52 am
Thanks! I went through the lengthy process but got an error at the end. Any suggestions?
thats just "the script has completed" popup msg that didnt work. you can ignore that.
Amused

Post by Amused »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 am
Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:52 am
thats just "the script has completed" popup msg that didnt work. you can ignore that.
Thanks! I tried to mux the 3 files afterwards (BL, EL and audio), but txmuxer failed to complete the job. Multiple hours lost unfortunately.

I have one more question, when I try to watch a DV FEL movie through a full BD structure - BDMV folder - Stream folder (ripped through MakeMKV, placed in the root folder of an external HDD, played on the Sony X700), the video and audio play fine, I can use FF-RW etc. However, when I hit the “display” button on the X700 remote, it reports only HDR, whereas the tv reports it’s getting Dolby Vision. Looks to me as if the X700 player is only getting HDR10 and then injecting DV metadata and sending it like that to the tv.

Is there something I’m doing wrong here?

Many thanks!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am
Thanks! I tried to mux the 3 files afterwards (BL, EL and audio), but txmuxer failed to complete the job. Multiple hours lost unfortunately.
I have one more question, when I try to watch a DV FEL movie through a full BD structure - BDMV folder - Stream folder (ripped through MakeMKV, placed in the root folder of an external HDD, played on the Sony X700), the video and audio play fine, I can use FF-RW etc. However, when I hit the “display” button on the X700 remote, it reports only HDR, whereas the tv reports it’s getting Dolby Vision. Looks to me as if the X700 player is only getting HDR10 and then injecting DV metadata and sending it like that to the tv.
Many thanks!
are you using the latest nightly tsmuxer?
as for BDMV playback, did you remux in tsmuxer to BDMV?

sounds like you're not using the right tsmuxer.
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases
Amused

Post by Amused »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:24 am
Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am
Many thanks!
are you using the latest nightly tsmuxer?
as for BDMV playback, did you remux in tsmuxer to BDMV?

sounds like you're not using the right tsmuxer.
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases
Nope, I didn't use the version of tsmuxer that you linked, I used some other vesion that I found online. My bad obviously.

As for BDMV, do you mean to import the main m2ts file from the BDMV/Stream folder and then remux it in tsmuxer back to BDMV? If yes, which output should I select in tsmuxer: Bue Ray folder or AVCHD folder?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:39 am
As for BDMV, do you mean to import the main m2ts file from the BDMV/Stream folder and then remux it in tsmuxer back to BDMV? If yes, which output should I select in tsmuxer: Bue Ray folder or AVCHD folder?
yes you can take the largest m2ts or the mpls file corresponding the to the main movie. You can find the right playlist with the script (MODE.M ===> MODE.4).
select "bluray folder" as output.
Amused

Post by Amused »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:39 am
yes you can take the largest m2ts or the mpls file corresponding the to the main movie. You can find the right playlist with the script (MODE.M ===> MODE.4).
select "bluray folder" as output.
Got it, will try and report back
Amused

Post by Amused »

It worked! I remuxed a ripped BDMV through tsmuxer nightly into a BDMV output. When copied on an external HDD and played through the X700, it shows it as “AVCHD”. The Dolby Vision logo appears when the “display” button on the X700 remote is pressed, which means it can read the metadata.

Thank you for your assistance!

Just one more question, if I remux an MKV file to dual track dual layer files (BL, EL and audio) through your script, can I also use tsmuxer to export it as Blu Ray folder (in order to get the possibility of FF/RW)? Can I also add additional subtitles through the process? Many thanks again
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm
Just one more question, if I remux an MKV file to dual track dual layer files (BL, EL and audio) through your script, can I also use tsmuxer to export it as Blu Ray folder (in order to get the possibility of FF/RW)? Can I also add additional subtitles through the process? Many thanks again
yes and yes
Amused

Post by Amused »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Amused wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm
yes and yes
Thanks!