Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
chros

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:28 pm
same with the fixed luma version P5 of the "mutli_pattern" from original spears and munsil
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRWWow ... sp=sharing
I checked this P5 one as well: bit more clipping on the Oppo and noticeably darker image! (Again, not sure which is right)
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

@RESET_9999

So I just used the .ts video (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hAv4eJ ... sp=sharing) you posted on avsforum to test on my c9.
The image changes very differently on the c9's internal player compared to the x700, for both L1 and L2. Even worse is during the brief black screen transition, it's completely black on the internal player, but on the x700 there are two grey bands on top and bottom (I notice that in your x800m2 + C2 video as well). I don't know what's going on here.

This sucks. Did I just watch the whole Dolby Vision library with sub optimal image quality? But there's no alternative either.

And people who are testing this on their tv, remember to set the same picture settings for both inputs: your tv's internal player and your bluray player. I'm using Cinema picture mode for both.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:19 am
@RESET_9999

So I just used the .ts video (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hAv4eJ ... sp=sharing) you posted on avsforum to test on my c9.
The image changes very differently on the c9's internal player compared to the x700, for both L1 and L2. Even worse is during the brief black screen transition, it's completely black on the internal player, but on the x700 there are two grey bands on top and bottom (I notice that in your x800m2 + C2 video as well). I don't know what's going on here.

This sucks. Did I just watch the whole Dolby Vision library with sub optimal image quality? But there's no alternative either.

And people who are testing this on their tv, remember to set the same picture settings for both inputs: your tv's internal player and your bluray player. I'm using Cinema picture mode for both.
interesting result... Sorry for calling you @deadphil earlier, I mixed you up with someone else lol.
As for the grey black bars, it's because the pattern is cropped. You'll get the same issue if you play any cropped content.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:02 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:19 am
@RESET_9999

interesting result... Sorry for calling you @deadphil earlier, I mixed you up with someone else lol.
As for the grey black bars, it's because the pattern is cropped. You'll get the same issue if you play any cropped content.
Ah ok so the x700 shows grey bars with cropped contents, but the internal player doesn't?

On another note: If I go to the General>About This TV>TV Information and scroll down to Dolby Vision, it says 21.26 there. What is yours on the C2 and C8?

Are there any more tests that I can do? In the last few pages, it seems there are several test videos, quite confusing. Which one should I use?
chros

Post by chros »

Btw Jellyfin (opensource "Emby") was recently released for WebOS on 2021-2022 models in LG Appstore!
Install portable on windows:
- download combined portable zip from: https://repo.jellyfin.org/releases/serv ... ws/stable/
- follow: https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/admin ... ion-x86x64
- access the interface via: http://127.0.0.1:8096/
- if an auto connect server is there and you can't connect with it, then just delete that server and refresh the page

batch file:

Code: Select all

cd "%~dp0"
system\jellyfin.exe -d data
I only tried couple of files DoVi mp4 files, those worked, couple of test files didn't, and we can't set the color of subtitle, but nice to have options.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Here are the videos for comparison on my C9:
X700:
https://youtu.be/MC0HxMV3LXM
Small changes with L1. Noticeable changes with L2, except no changes with L2 trim_offset 0.75

Internal player:
https://youtu.be/28TkcoPaUzc
Noticeable changes with L1. Noticeable changes with L2, especially big change with L2 trim_offset 0.75.
Redox

Post by Redox »

@RESET_9999

I tried RPU p8.1 cmv29 file using Panasonic Oled internal player(new dolby engine) ,Fire Tv Max and Oppo

I noticed brightness deference in L1 and L2_trim_offset 0.75 with Oppo player the internal player and fire tv look the same
Last edited by Redox on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Tested cmv29 and cmv40 compatible with Apple TV 4k:

Tested on Lg CX 48" and on Panasonic JZ1000 55".

CMV29
CX internal player and Apple TV connected to CX (same results)
L1 ok
L2 ok (L2 saturation gain and ms weight better on Apple TV)

Panasonic internal player and Atv connected to it, same results as CX

CMV40
CX internal player and Apple Tv connected to CX (same results)
L1 ok
L2 no
L3 min pq offset=no
L3 max pq offset=ok
L8 Ok with exceptions:
ms weight, saturation vector trim 0/1/2/3/4/5 and hue vector field 0/1/2/3/4/5 NO

Panasonic internal player and Atv connected to it, same results as CX
Last edited by ragico on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I had a closer look at my C8 now that it's back in the pitch black room and there's also an L1 difference between the x700 and C8 internal player. It's just less obvious and not a night and day difference like on the C2 + x700.
I also tried the Shield + C8 and there's no L1 difference with the TV internal player.

So maybe that bug was always there and because the C2 is much brighter than the C8 now it's just more obvious???
DiscoD

Post by DiscoD »

Just so we have more data on all playback devices tried the cmv40 File on my Chromecast with Google TV (TV is Vizio m65-F0)
L1 - Good
L2 - Good
L3 - No Reaction at all
L8 - No Reaction at all

might as well get as much data as possible.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:41 pm
Have you guys ever tested convert those p8 to p7 MEL?
It seems only FEL compatible disc players are affected.
Would it be possible these deivices never expect P8 DV and their DV engine always assume there is an EL and treat them like P7?
ragico wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:19 pm
L2 ok (L2 saturation gain and ms weight better on Apple TV)
That is strange, proper developed internal player should always have more accurate image than external.
Those engineers who built the TV have a much better grasp of the TV specs, therefore should be able to fine tune it.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:41 pm
I had a closer look at my C8 now that it's back in the pitch black room and there's also an L1 difference between the x700 and C8 internal player.
What is the difference you saw?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:59 pm
the light changes are slightly brighter on the internal C8 compared to the x700/x800m2.
Not as drastic as on the x700/x800m2 + C2 combo and that's why I didn't really spot it when the C8 was in a brighter room but now in a pitch-black room, I can definitely see a difference.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:24 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:59 pm
the light changes are slightly brighter on the internal C8 compared to the x700/x800m2.
Not as drastic as on the x700/x800m2 + C2 combo and that's why I didn't really spot it when the C8 was in a brighter room but now in a pitch-black room, I can definitely see a difference.
If I go to the General>About This TV>TV Information and scroll down to Dolby Vision, it says 21.26 there. What does it say on your C2 and C8?

Are there any more tests that I can do? In the last few pages, it seems there are several test videos, quite confusing. Which one should I use?
chros

Post by chros »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:11 am
If I go to the General>About This TV>TV Information and scroll down to Dolby Vision, it says 21.26 there. What does it say on your C2 and C8?

DoVi version on the G2 is (fw 3.11.35): 31.18
I uploaded the DoVi trim test files (mkv/mp4/ts) into one place (including the latest correct cmv2.9 ones):
https://mega.nz/folder/ehUWVChK#KmxRwARyFogmMWz4nkU6Kg

Yesterday I checked couple of DoVi things:
- internal player (Plex/Jellifyn) is definitely brighter than HDMI devices (Oppo and Shield as well!) with the same files: not just the mid part but also shadow details as well, not sure why
I thought maybe the 1dlut is different, but I used the same settings and the same preset, so the 1dlut should be the same.
I thought maybe Limited/Full (Black level) was the reason, but setting internal players to Full (with bscpylgtv, obviously) we get washed out colors, so that's not that; interestingly this setting didn't have any effect with HDMI devices using DoVi content.
So, not sure what's going on or how this can happen.
Setting AI Picture Pro for Internal players helps a bit to make them similar.

I also checked couple of shows:
Stranger Things s3e2 Plex vs Netflix (both internal): looked the same
Dickinson s3s4 Plex vs Atv (both internal): Atv was darker (this can be because of the metadata in the mp4 file)

So, who knows which are the correct ones :)