4K Ultra HD BLU RAY

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
khunsu

4K Ultra HD BLU RAY

Post by khunsu »

What do people think, are you re-buying your movie collection in 4K blu rays? I always thought blu rays were going to be the highest quality but now films I own are being released in 4K and I feel like I need to upgrade to them.
Woodstock

Re: 4K Ultra HD BLU RAY

Post by Woodstock »

I can play 4K, but I don't buy it, other than to have a couple here I can test with. Bluray is quite adequate for watching.
mikewilzn

Post by mikewilzn »

Some movies are a lot more worth the upgrade than others. Movies like Lord of the Rings, Blade Runner, Lawrence of Arabia, etc, are worth it. Other movies are probably sufficient in blu-ray.

I definitely buy new movies in 4k whenever available though.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I generally buy new movies on 4K. Some older movies that are important to me I rebuy on 4K, especially if they get a major remaster. For instance, the 2018 remaster of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) is a big upgrade. I also occasionally rebuy movies on 4K if I catch them on sale. For example, I have Spaceballs (1987) on both DVD and 4K only because I happened to catch the 4K on sale (I think it was under $20) and watching the DVD on my current 65" 4K TV setup really shows the limits of a DVD.