MakeMKV locks out other drives...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Marc_G

MakeMKV locks out other drives...

Post by Marc_G »

Hi Mike et al,

I've noticed something that seemed to start a few versions back... I'm using 1.65 on Windows 7 x64.

Imagine this use case:

1. I insert a DVD or BD ito the drive and and start MakeMKV. I get it going and it's in the middle of generating the MKV.

2. I insert another DVD/BD into the other optical drive on the same PC.

3. Here's the problem: whatever disc I insert in step 2 above doesn't get registered by the system. I can't play it with DVD software or whatever...

If I insert both discs, THEN start up MakeMKV, I haven't noticed it blocking the second disc. Also, if a disc is already registered in drive 2, putting a disc in drive 1 and running MakeMKV on it seems harmless.

Could you look into the situation and if possible resolve the blocking of other drives when MakeMKV is operating on a disc in one drive per the reported order of operations above?

Thanks Mike!

Marc
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV locks out other drives...

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

From what I've observed on the system that I use, I've concluded that it's best to first start MakeMKV and load the disc I want to backup, BEFORE loading anything into any drives. Not only does this allow for recognition of all other drives (and their contents), it even allows me to simultaneously PLAY the disc MakeMKV is converting...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Marc_G wrote:3. Here's the problem: whatever disc I insert in step 2 above doesn't get registered by the system. I can't play it with DVD software or whatever...
Yes, looks like a bug - thanks for reporting.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

@ Mike: Thanks! I'll be curious to hear if this is indeed a bug or something unique to me.

@Setarip_Old: Actually, if I do what you suggest I run into the problem. Basically, what I find is that while MakeMKV is processing, Windows is locked out from registering any new discs I insert. If I pre-insert them before MakeMKV starts processing, I have no problem... BUT: It never occured to me I could watch the same disc MakeMKV is chewing on! I'll have to try it sometime!