Is there a way to see the region code of a disc?

Everything related to MakeMKV
hypermog

Is there a way to see the region code of a disc?

Post by hypermog »

It would be nice if the region code appeared in the 'Disc Information' section of the 'Info' panel in MakeMKV.

Yes, I realize that MakeMKV basically ignores the region coding when ripping discs, but I am still interested in knowing what (if any) region locking is present on some of my discs. Currently I have to insert the disc into a US player to know if an import disc will play, for instance if I lend it to a friend.

Thanks
mike admin

Re: Is there a way to see the region code of a disc?

Post by mike admin »

There is no such thing these days. Both DVD and BD are not just data discs with some files - in addition to the video each disc contains a program that is executed by player when you insert the disc - it shows nice menus, plays FBI warnings, etc. This program on disc asks the player "what is your region code" and depending on the answer shows a menu or a region warning clip. There is just no (from practical point of view) file on the disc that holds the disc region setting.

It is true that this information could be extracted easily for some discs, somewhat easily for some others, but generally - there is no reliable way to tell, short of looking at the physical disc / box.
hypermog

Re: Is there a way to see the region code of a disc?

Post by hypermog »

Thanks for your reply Mike!