4k Bluray rips result in wrong default language

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
bobb09

4k Bluray rips result in wrong default language

Post by bobb09 »

Finally succeeded in backing up some Lord of the rings 4k discs. However, the .m2ts files on my smart TV and my pc Windows media player (Films & TV) default to German audio tracks. The only language alternatives offered on the TV are French and Spanish. The newly downloaded Windows 5k player on my PC defaults correctly to English. I am at a loss as I have tried re-ripping tracks with English preference set in the Makemkv preferences, which results in Japanese default! Any ideas out there?
dcoke22

Re: 4k Bluray rips result in wrong default language

Post by dcoke22 »

What does MediaInfo tell you about your ripped file(s)?
bobb09

Post by bobb09 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:25 pm
What does MediaInfo tell you about your ripped file(s)?
Thanks for responding. Please see attached, not sure how to interpret. Basically .m2ts files comprise 2 video streams/6 audio streams etc.
C1.JPG
C1.JPG (156.29 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
C1.JPG
C1.JPG (156.29 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Attachments
C2.JPG
C2.JPG (122.89 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

bobb09 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:33 pm
Basically .m2ts files comprise 2 video streams/6 audio streams etc.
As much as I know, m2ts files do not have metadata like the language of the streams (or chapters). Those are in the mpls playlist files. I wonder why you use the m2ts files and not let MakeMKV create MKV files from them.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Presumably, the 5k Player will tell you which audio track it is playing when it is playing English on your PC. I don't have any experience with that player to know one way or the other. I assume the English track is the 1st track, the fancy Dolby TrueHD track.

I'm going to guess your TV doesn't know what to do with a Dolby TrueHD track, so ignores it. I don't think Windows Media Player understands Dolby TrueHD by default; I think you need the right codec pack installed. This is why VLC or MPV among others are recommended.

In any case, Ezatoka makes a good point. If you let MakeMKV create a .mkv file, you'll be able to split out the more mundane lossy core of Dolby Digital into its own audio track as well as have the full lossless Dolby TrueHD track. Then, if your player can't understand Dolby TrueHD, it can almost certainly play the very common Dolby Digital AC-3 track.
bobb09

Post by bobb09 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:19 pm
bobb09 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:33 pm
Basically .m2ts files comprise 2 video streams/6 audio streams etc.
As much as I know, m2ts files do not have metadata like the language of the streams (or chapters). Those are in the mpls playlist files. I wonder why you use the m2ts files and not let MakeMKV create MKV files from them.
Many thanks Ezatoka, making/playing the .mkv file fixed the problem. Afraid I'm a still novice when it comes to the world of BD ripping! Thanks also to the others who responded.
I'm still curious as to why Makemkv writes two sets of .mkv full length movie files that appear identical - are these the 2 video channels detected in the m2ts files? Any comments?

Bob