Do I need all audio track levels?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Arp137

Do I need all audio track levels?

Post by Arp137 »

Hello,

That's maybe a stupid question, but if a title has, lets say a TrueHD track, and in the level below is the DD surround stream, or in other cases there is a DTS-HD, with a DTS Core below it. Do I need both for the top one to work? So, do I need to extract TrueHD and DD in order to have TrueHD work?
This always confuses me.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Do I need all audio track levels?

Post by Woodstock »

Depends on your player. Theory says that players should handle extracting the lossy layer from the full track. Some players dispute that theory, which is why MakeMKV offers to pull them out for you.
Arp137

Post by Arp137 »

Does that mean that the layer below it is already included in the top layer and would just be an additional track?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most "lossless" audio tracks are built upon lossy cores. Even below the "lossless" stuff, the track profiles build up from a single-track core. Additional information is included to tell the decoder what is different between the main channel and "channel X". The lossless part is the difference between the lossy core and a lossless version.

But not all decoders can deal with that. If yours can, sweet - only one version needed. If not... that happens, too.

Personally, I put multiple tracks in my stuff. It all goes through handbrake before it goes onto the media server, so I put an AC3 track, and AAC track, and then pass through whatever was the highest spec track, for someday when I have one of those fancy "plays everything" home theaters.