Is anyone as frustrated as me???

Everything related to MakeMKV
dtcjem

Is anyone as frustrated as me???

Post by dtcjem » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:28 pm

First off I LOVE MAKEMKV when it works for me. I have purchased also purchased the license.

Here's my frustration.....

It seems every time I shut off my computer, MakeMKV will not start again and gets NO ANSWER FROM MAKEMKVCON. I delete the program and re-install and get same message.

Checked Event Logger with nothing noted.

Many times I un-install then re-install and get a message "Fatal Error has occurred and Program will shut down.

It seems that sometimes I un-install and re-install a few times, with reboots in between and then it will magically work again. I am running a windows 10 Laptop with a hard drive I got from Billy on this site.

Like I said.......When I get the program working it works great!

Does anybody suffer this same situation and is there anything I can do about it? I have un-installed then re-installed five times today alone and no luck.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Woodstock

Re: Is anyone as frustrated as me???

Post by Woodstock » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:50 pm

Check your settings for your antivirus. Sometimes it will remove or block the console program because of aggressive settings. Should be log entries for that.

dtcjem

Post by dtcjem » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:15 am

I appreciate the reply. I have tried installing and running with defender shut off. Kinda at a loss.

nickdanp

Post by nickdanp » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:53 am

You're not alone. I have exactly the same problem, albeit in Windows 11 - started at some point in the last week. I tried rolling back my system a week (Macrium Reflect) to when it was definitely working, but got the same error. Removed Malwarebytes - no dice. No mention of Bitdefender blocking it in any shape or form either. Windows Defender/Security is of course switched off because Bitdefender is in control.

There's a Warning event that crops up every single time in Event Viewer when it fails to load, referring to DistributedCOM (10016). It may be coincidental, it may not:

Full text:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user NICK-PC\nickd SID (S-1-5-21-2783871395-1615391463-3696509728-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

(Note, there is no way to modify the security permission in the Component Services administrative tool I can find, neither can I change the permissions of the relevant Registry keys. TBH, I would be uncomfortable doing so without knowing whether this would only affect MakeMKV, or whether it opens up other possible security loopholes.)

After much faffing about like your good self, here's how I appear to have got it working:

1. On first reboot, try opening MakeMKV. While it's trying to open, open Task Manager to the Details tab. Scroll down and locate the two MakeMKV entries: makemkv.exe and makemkvcon64.exe.
2. Up pops the error after 30 seconds or so. Click OK and you'll see the makemkv.exe vanish, but in my case the makemkvcon64.exe entry remains. Right-click it and choose End task to end it.
3. Open MakeMKV as an administrator (look for it under Search, then choose the 'Run as administrator' option if it's visible, or right-click the app in this list to get to it).

This seems to work for me - but only once. However, I've managed to get MakeMKV to run again by continually running it as an administrator and checking Task Manager - if makemkvcon64.exe gets left behind, ending it will allow me to open MakeMKV successfully on the next go (so far). It's a faff, but at least it seems to work after a fashion.