MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
toomuch

MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by toomuch » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:03 pm

What is this, Does it need fixed?

MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started
Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104". Make sure that you either have write access to device "/dev/sr0", are member of "cdrom" group or have CAP_SYS_RAWIO enabled.
Using direct disc access mode

Thank You

Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by Woodstock » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:04 pm

How are you installing MakeMKV? There are some 3rd-party packagers that require permission changes to work with devices, as well as the things mentioned in the error message.

toomuch

Re: MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by toomuch » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:19 pm

I think I used the Software center. additional searching and reading I launched the Software center, searched for MakeMKV, when it found it a "Permissions" box appeared, I clicked on it and found the bottom of the list were not given permission. I am in Win 10 now and can't remember all, I added permission to read write access & something else. I started MakeMKV, everything looked ok, it finished sooner than normal but the Output Folder was empty.

Is using snap a better way, or the Forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 the best way to install?
Thank You.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:47 pm

Any method other than what's outlined in the forum message is not supported by the author. There have been quite a number of people requesting that Mike provide a packaged version, but he hasn't.

Most package managers provide a "sandbox" environment for packages, and the device permissions are tied to that.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge can move your question along. Access to CD/DVD/BD devices has to be higher than just read/write, because MakeMKV sends requests to directly access the hardware, not just "send me sector XXXXXX".