Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
staknhalo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:41 pm
damn , DV is a mess!!!
It looks pretty, but damn I hate this video generation lol
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

hulu recently added dv and hdr10plus support and it looks like they are all in profile 8 DV ... Make sense, no time wasted encoding both HDR10 and DV base layer.
Since it looks like the appleTV is doing fake DV with profile 7/8 , I wonder how it will go lol ...

Code: Select all

Complete name                            : The.Handmaids.Tale.S01E01.Offred.2160p.HULU.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.DoVi.H.265.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
File size                                : 4.70 GiB
Duration                                 : 57 min 25 s
Overall bit rate                         : 11.7 Mb/s
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 57 min 25 s
Bit rate                                 : 11.4 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.058
Stream size                              : 4.59 GiB (98%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0020 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 212 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 157 cd/m2
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@quietvoid

the hdr10plus to DV conversion works very well IMO. I watched a 2h Amazon movie in DV and I don't see anything wrong. Brightness change is not visible at all, perfectly smooth transition. I didn't create any l2 metadata, I added l6 metadata and I adjusted the active area, that's it. And just to be sure, I made an off-sync version with the RPU late 120 frames and I could easily spot the brightness adjustments. I still would like to take a look at manix shogun lldv capture though... Still, DV couldn't save the horrible amazon encoding, seriously that shit looks like 720p.

Anyway, another major achievement by you, well done. we can basically do anything now thank's to you :D

higher wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:31 pm
Sorry for asking this but is there a way to mux or convert Dolby Vision mkv's to mp4? Unfortunately LG OLED TV's built-in players are not recognizing DV in the mkv container and I don't have an X700 or Shield 2019. Excuse me if it had been asked earlier.

Keep up the great work!
if you don't care about subtitles, the easiest and fastest way is tsMuxer .. wont be an mp4 but should play on your lg tv (assuming you're talking about p5 files)
otherwise, you have to demux and remux with the mp4muxer
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 am
the hdr10plus to DV conversion works very well IMO. I watched a 2h Amazon movie in DV and I don't see anything wrong. Brightness change is not visible at all, perfectly smooth transition. I didn't create any l2 metadata, I added l6 metadata and I adjusted the active area, that's it. And just to be sure, I made an off-sync version with the RPU late 120 frames and I could easily spot the brightness adjustments. I still would like to take a look at manix shogun lldv capture though... Still, DV couldn't save the horrible amazon encoding, seriously that shit looks like 720p.
That's good, I had no problem on my side either.
There's a difference between the target nits but now that we have production profile 8 files with both, it looks like HDR10+ tools just measure slightly differently.
higher

Post by higher »

galarond wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:31 am

well, depending on the model of the oled you can play dv mp4 dual or single layer, that will show what you need to do. for example in my LgC1 i can only play 1 layer mp4/m2ts/ts files and trigger dv, i had a lgb6 where i could play dual layer mp4 but only mel movies and fel very very buggy.

so first to know that to see what you need to do to make a watchable file in the internal player of your tv and trigger dv
I have an LG C8 and it plays dual and single layer mp4's flawlessly. I tried remuxing to ts with tsMuxer but it doesn't trigger DoVi so I guess it's P8 which the TV doesn't support.
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:15 am
if you don't care about subtitles, the easiest and fastest way is tsMuxer .. wont be an mp4 but should play on your lg tv (assuming you're talking about p5 files)
otherwise, you have to demux and remux with the mp4muxer
Thanks for the reply. So shall I demux the video track with tsMuxer then remux it with mp4muxer using profile 5?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

higher wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:19 am
I have an LG C8 and it plays dual and single layer mp4's flawlessly. I tried remuxing to ts with tsMuxer but it doesn't trigger DoVi so I guess it's P8 which the TV doesn't support.
the C8 supports all the DV profiles.
The ts file you tried must be dual-layer which the c8 won't trigger DV in this container (or it will even say ''corrupted'').

so you have to demux and remux with the mp4muxer using profile 7
higher

Post by higher »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:07 pm
The ts file you tried must be dual-layer which the c8 won't trigger DV in this container (or it will even say ''corrupted'').

I was trying with a Hulu DoVi mkv file floating on the web which is Profile 8 but remuxing it to ts didn't trigger Dolby Vision, only regular HDR.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

higher wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:26 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:

I was trying with a Hulu DoVi mkv file floating on the web which is Profile 8 but remuxing it to ts didn't trigger Dolby Vision, only regular HDR.
that's strange... I dont think I ever had a p8 file that my C8 didnt play in DV.
I will try tonight. which web-dl did you try?
higher

Post by higher »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:22 pm
higher wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:26 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:

that's strange... I dont think I ever had a p8 file that my C8 didnt play in DV.
I will try tonight. which web-dl did you try?
I was trying it with an episode of Nine Perfect Strangers. Will be home soon and I'm going to give tsMuxer yet another try because I used 2.6.12 not the nightly build you linked. Will also try mp4muxer with P5.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

higher wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:33 pm
I was trying it with an episode of Nine Perfect Strangers. Will be home soon and I'm going to give tsMuxer yet another try because I used 2.6.12 not the nightly build you linked. Will also try mp4muxer with P5.
hulu web-dl are not in profile 5 but you can use the mp4muxer and remux to profile 8.
nightly tsmuxer should work though
higher

Post by higher »

Got home and tried the nightly tsMuxer build you posted earlier and it works, ts is now triggering DV on the TV. Thank you for the link! :)
cannibalist2

Post by cannibalist2 »

Guys thanks for all the information you shared so far. I started to reading all of the pages for making dolby vision rips properly. But I need to ask you some questions before that. I have LG G1 and I'm gonna use native plex app. (I don't have shield or apple tv)
1. Does this tv support only mp4/m2ts/ts and single layer dolby vision?
2. My pc doesn't have a strong cpu. Does making dolby vision rips take too much time?
3. I want to get best picture as possible. Is plex app enough or do I need shield pro?
Last edited by cannibalist2 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

galarond wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:28 pm
How can i see if a mt2s or mkv have hdr10plus metadata'?

Trying to find a Alien 1979 hdr10plus disk backup version...
It should be apparent in mediainfo

thetoad

Post by thetoad »

are hdrplus10 and dovi rpu (i.e. not enhancement layers) metadata effectively similar information? could one conceptually convert one to the other? (i.e. assuming one has an hdr10 base, could one convert hdr10plus to give a dolby vision only tv dynamic metadata and vice versa for an hdr10plus tv).

or are they totally different (or different enough) that this isn't possible. just wondering if anyone has thought about this?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 am
are hdrplus10 and dovi rpu (i.e. not enhancement layers) metadata effectively similar information? could one conceptually convert one to the other? (i.e. assuming one has an hdr10 base, could one convert hdr10plus to give a dolby vision only tv dynamic metadata and vice versa for an hdr10plus tv).

or are they totally different (or different enough) that this isn't possible. just wondering if anyone has thought about this?
Going from HDR10+ to Dolby Vision can be done partially, since both include the image analysis info (min/max/avg luminance). The rest of the info is incompatible without heavy calculations.
Going from Dolby Vision to HDR10+ isn't really possible because HDR10+ requires some information (luminance percentiles per shot) that's not present in Dolby Vision, and would require analyzing the image and more calculations..

Not to mention most of the steps for calculations are proprietary.