MakeMKV's disk usage

Everything related to MakeMKV
chengbin

MakeMKV's disk usage

Post by chengbin »

I tried to rip a blu-ray with MakeMKV, I set it to copy to my external hard drive. The ripping was incredibly slow, at 1MB/sec. Then I found out my main hard drive in my computer is extremely busy. Why is MakeMKV maxing out my main hard drive when I set it to copy to my external? Even ripping to my main hard drive, it is at the same speed.
ChinaJade

Re: MakeMKV's disk usage

Post by ChinaJade »

It sounds like you're in Windoze disk-thrash mode. How much main memory does your system have? (My Computer -> Properties)

MakeMKV uses a fair bit of RAM. I've seen it get as high as 500MB memory consumption when ripping Blurays. If you've got less than 1GB of RAM, I would try closing everything else down and see if that helps your problem. Windows, especially Vista, is a memory pig--even when it is 'doing nothing' at idle. If you're running Vista, I'd consider 1.5-2GB RAM the minimum needed to run MakeMKV.

If this isn't your problem, I'm out of ideas. :) Good luck.

cheers,
CJ
chengbin

Post by chengbin »

ChinaJade wrote:It sounds like you're in Windoze disk-thrash mode. How much main memory does your system have? (My Computer -> Properties)

MakeMKV uses a fair bit of RAM. I've seen it get as high as 500MB memory consumption when ripping Blurays. If you've got less than 1GB of RAM, I would try closing everything else down and see if that helps your problem. Windows, especially Vista, is a memory pig--even when it is 'doing nothing' at idle. If you're running Vista, I'd consider 1.5-2GB RAM the minimum needed to run MakeMKV.

If this isn't your problem, I'm out of ideas. :) Good luck.

cheers,
CJ
Thank you for your response.

I seriously don't think anyone with a Blu-ray drive will have 1GB of RAM. I have 3GB of RAM, plus 1GB of virtual RAM.
Jahdoh

Post by Jahdoh »

chengbin wrote:I tried to rip a blu-ray with MakeMKV, I set it to copy to my external hard drive. The ripping was incredibly slow, at 1MB/sec. Then I found out my main hard drive in my computer is extremely busy. Why is MakeMKV maxing out my main hard drive when I set it to copy to my external? Even ripping to my main hard drive, it is at the same speed.
I also set the destination to an external drive but have never seen MakeMKV thrash my drive. I also believe this is a windows issue. Even when I set the destination to my local drive, i've never seen any drive thrashing.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It is probably the memory problem. Firstly, try the following - got to preferences dialog and in "IO" tab change "read buffer size" from "auto" to "1024". Then restart the program and observe if anything changes. If it is still trashing your swap file please start the task manager, in "view-select columns" enable "memory usage" and "virtual memory size" and post these 2 numbers for makemkvcon.exe (not makemkv.exe!) here. Thanks.
chengbin

Post by chengbin »

I turned off virtual memory, and tried MakeMKV, it is still the same speed.

BTW, if I just copy the video to my hard drive through Windows Explorer, I'm getting 13MB/s. Is that normal? It seems a bit slow for a next generation disk. You can get that speed with a DVD after a few minutes. Also, the drive doesn't seem to be "loud" (like spinning fast, most drives will become louder when they spin faster)