Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

Aquaman is MEL
That's just a glitchy file
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ragico wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:45 am
With Ugoos AM6 plus/Kodi Matrix DV edition (thanks @Fandangos and @quietvoid) Saving Private Ryan (MKV DV) no flicKering like the m2ts on Sony X700.
This is the first time that a device (except Sony X700) does not flickers on this film.
I tried Firestick 4K, Shield 2019 and Google Chromecast with Google TV.
In Ugoos (latest firmware 0.40) also HD audio (True HD Atmos and DTS X) works in passtrough in Kodi.
My soundbar confirms.
ah I recently just gave in and put in an order for a chinoppo. now if this ugoos really becomes an alternative...
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm
yossSP wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm
HarperVision wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 am

I have ripped the movie The Meg to .mp4 DV single layer using DVDFab and it shows up as DV in the Infuse GUI and plays as such just fine. The colors seem the same as when I play the disc in my Sony X800M2. I’m an ISF Certified Calibrator amongst many other industry things for 30+ years so would notice if color was amiss. What color issue is it that I’m supposed to be looking for exactly?

The only reason I’m not satisfied at this point is due to the lack of ATMOS audio.

So am I reading right that the new Chromecast Google TV is capable of playing all DV profiles with MEL and FEL and ATMOS?
No every Atmos...

I can confirm that the new Chromecast with Google TV supports:

Video:
HDR
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer in P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8 profiles

Audio
Dolby Digital (AC3)
Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)
Dolby Digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
DTS (only with Kodi)
DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix (only with Kodi)
AAC
PCM multichannel (only with Kodi)

Audio not supported:
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
DTS-HD
DTS-X

I don't have an Atmos ready AVR so I can't test too much, I don't know if it could be possible to convert the TrueHD stream to lossless MCPCM or EAC3 and maintain the Atmos layer.

About DV profile 7 FEL I'm now making some tests to determine if it's processing the FEL layer in the right way, but teh first test is passed.
Stay connected...
On my setup chrome cast gave me to most issues, bc off my vertex2,
P8 plays for me but only a few minutes.
But directly into the tv works better.
& plex is the only way on Chromecast?
P5 plays fine of course.
Chromecast cast feel like the vs10 engine
LLDV on it clashes with LLDV on the vertex2
When I use my amplifier u see 24bit 422 yuv as well without the vertex2 another answer that’s it’s LLDV only. Also no forced dv8 rgb from the vertex with that device
Vs10 engine is LLDV from what the vertex is showing
Thanks for the answer Manixx2020beyound :)
Sorry, but you write in a so telegramically technichal way that I can't understand altogether...

I think you're talking about the test you did before, without the last Chromecast february update.
I agree that the best way for testing is connecting the Chromecast directly to an HDMI 2.0 of the TV.
I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end. I have only issues when I create with MakeMKV a new Single Track Dual Layer mkv from a Dual Track Dual Layer FEL mkv file, it's impossible to jump in time, fast forward or rewind. Even if you stops the playback you can't restart from there, the only option is to begin from start, although it's possible to pause en continue.

As I can understand from your words, from your tests you think this Chromecast is an LLDV device.

Well, I wait for news tests with the last february update when you are able to do it. Thanks!
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:39 am
Manixx2020beyound wrote:
yossSP wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm

No every Atmos...

I can confirm that the new Chromecast with Google TV supports:

Video:
HDR
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer in P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8 profiles

Audio
Dolby Digital (AC3)
Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)
Dolby Digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
DTS (only with Kodi)
DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix (only with Kodi)
AAC
PCM multichannel (only with Kodi)

Audio not supported:
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
DTS-HD
DTS-X

I don't have an Atmos ready AVR so I can't test too much, I don't know if it could be possible to convert the TrueHD stream to lossless MCPCM or EAC3 and maintain the Atmos layer.

About DV profile 7 FEL I'm now making some tests to determine if it's processing the FEL layer in the right way, but teh first test is passed.
Stay connected...
P5 plays fine of course.
When I use my amplifier u see 24bit 422 yuv as well without the vertex2 another answer that’s it’s LLDV only. Also no forced dv8 rgb from the vertex with that device
Sorry, but you write in a so telegramically technichal way that I can't understand altogether...

I think you're talking about the test you did before, without the last Chromecast february update.
I agree that the best way for testing is connecting the Chromecast directly to an HDMI 2.0 of the TV.
I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end. I have only issues when I create with MakeMKV a new Single Track Dual Layer mkv from a Dual Track Dual Layer FEL mkv file, it's impossible to jump in time, fast forward or rewind. Even if you stops the playback you can't restart from there, the only option is to begin from start, although it's possible to pause en continue.

As I can understand from your words, from your tests you think this Chromecast is an LLDV device.

Well, I wait for news tests with the last february update when you are able to do it. Thanks!
Just finished testing mkv dv version playback Total Recall whol movie playback
Smooth & trigger DV plex ( no vertex) in volved but I can capture which means it’s also LLDV but quality seems better already I can tell diff from the dune.
El is being used but I’ll wait for confirmation
@$50 dollars lol with the dune price I can get 9 chrome cast device lol
I also have no issuses skipping chapters
File plays normally
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

dysprosium wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:14 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:41 pm
Romero91 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:29 pm
And what does Chromecast or Ugoos, what does not have Dune for FEL to work? For the same reason, don't you think Dune adds support through FW? i hope so if Another streaming devices apparently have FEL support now...
I have no idea, it's very surprising that not 1 but 2 streaming devices can do FEL...
But can they really do it properly? that's why I want @manix to capture the Total Recall scene with his Atomos Shogun.
As someone mentioned already, if you look at the S922X spec sheet on page 12:
  • Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
  • Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps
  • Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding
    It has 2 CPUs; Quad core ARM Cortex-A73 and dual core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, which is probably how it is able to decode a 2160p and 1080p stream simultaneously.

Meanwhile, looking at the S905 spec sheet on page 11 (Chromecast with Google TV is using S905D), you can see only:
    • Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
    • Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding
      It is also a single CPU: Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU. This probably explains why the Chromecast with Google TV can only decode 5 seconds of FEL, while the Ugoos AM6Plus is fine; it uses the same Amlogic Video Engine and is able to simultaenously decode multiple video streams as well, but is lacking in processing power compared to the S922X.
      You're wrong, the new Chromecast with Google TV has an Amlogic S905D3 (https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/Dat ... Wesion.pdf):
      ● SoC: Amlogic S905D3 Quad Core 4x ARM-A55 @ 1.9GHz (64bit) / GPU Mali-G31 MP2 / 12nm.
      ● Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
      ● Support multi-video decoder up to 4x1080P@60fps
      ● Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding

I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end without stuttering.

The short 5 seconds playback you mentioned just happened with some RESET_9999 samples selfmade, that aren't compatible with my system.
      Last edited by yossSP on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
      yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 am
      yossSP wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:39 am
      Manixx2020beyound wrote:

P5 plays fine of course.

Just finished testing mkv dv version playback Total Recall whol movie playback
      Smooth & trigger DV plex ( no vertex) in volved but I can capture which means it’s also LLDV but quality seems better already I can tell diff from the dune.
      El is being used but I’ll wait for confirmation
      @$50 dollars lol with the dune price I can get 9 chrome cast device lol
      I also have no issuses skipping chapters
      File plays normally
      Thanks!, I'm very curious about the picture quality comparison with other devices. I observe a very good image quality, with right light and color treatment and a punchy impression.
      yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Hello, finally I also have tested the Total Recall escene in my Chromecast with Google TV.

Test equipment:
      - Chromecast with Google TV updated with february firmware
      - Panasonic HZ1000 OLED TV updated with last firmware
      - Plex server and Plex for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version
      - Emby server beta and Emby for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version

As I reported before, none of the samples provided by RESET_9999 activate Dolby Vision in my case, except de P8 MEL test, that shows clearly the compression artifacts.

At the end I have been able to get a copy of the DV version of Total Recall (1990) and I proceeded to test it in the scene at 43 minutes, the spaceship landing.
      I created a single track double layer Dolby Vision FEL profile 7 mkv file with MakeMKV.

I have made 3 playback tests and the results are curiously the following:
      - Normal playback in Dolby Vision: No artifacts shown!, so it's processing the FEL layer, isn't it?
      - Playback disabling the Dolby Vision compatibility in my TV: my TV reports it plays as HDR10 and... don't show artifacts!
      - I created a HDR10 version with MakeMKV selecting only de HDR10 layer (NO the EL layer): it shows the artifacts clearly.

It's very curious for me the second case:
      - Playback disabling the Dolby Vision compatibility in my TV: my TV reports it plays as HDR10 and... don't show artifacts!

I disabled the tone mapping and any image improvement of the TV but it seems that the Chromecast is still using the FEL layer to improve the HDR10 output, I didn't be aware of this smart behaviour :)

The image quality of the Dolby Vision version and even the HDR10 with FEL improvement seems very good for me, with no artifacts and a punchy impact.
      Unfortunately, as known, the SDR screenshots I did are of no utility because of the wrong colour and detail.
      Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

yossSP wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:12 am
      Hello, finally I also have tested the Total Recall escene in my Chromecast with Google TV.

Test equipment:
      - Chromecast with Google TV updated with february firmware
      - Panasonic HZ1000 OLED TV updated with last firmware
      - Plex server and Plex for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version
      - Emby server beta and Emby for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version

As I reported before, none of the samples provided by RESET_9999 activate Dolby Vision in my case, except de P8 MEL test, that shows clearly the compression artifacts.

At the end I have been able to get a copy of the DV version of Total Recall (1990) and I proceeded to test it in the scene at 43 minutes, the spaceship landing.
      I created a single track double layer Dolby Vision FEL profile 7 mkv file with MakeMKV.

I have made 3 playback tests and the results are curiously the following:
      - Normal playback in Dolby Vision: No artifacts shown!, so it's processing the FEL layer, isn't it?
      - I created a HDR10 version with MakeMKV selecting only de HDR10 layer (NO the EL layer): it shows the artifacts clearly.

The image quality of the Dolby Vision version is very good for me, with no artifacts and a punchy impact.

It's very curious for me the second case:

Unfortunately, as known, the SDR screenshots I did are of no utility because of the wrong colour and detail.

I disabled the tone mapping and any image improvement of the TV but it seems that the Chromecast is still using the FEL layer to improve the HDR10 output, I didn't be aware of this smart behaviour :)
      Had that happen with my Philips player some how bc u have dual decoders it still uses the fel along with the hdr10.
      In my Chromecast test plex starts the mkv as HDR10 then switches to dv don’t know if that’s normal.
      dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

yossSP wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:03 am
      You're wrong, the new Chromecast with Google TV has an Amlogic S905D3 (https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/Dat ... Wesion.pdf):
      ● SoC: Amlogic S905D3 Quad Core 4x ARM-A55 @ 1.9GHz (64bit) / GPU Mali-G31 MP2 / 12nm.
      ● Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding

I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end without stuttering.

The short 5 seconds playback you mentioned just happened with some RESET_9999 samples selfmade, that aren't compatible with my system.
      Ah, you're right about it being the S905D3, I'll edit my post to fix. It's interesting that the S905D3 can decode multiple streams "up to 4x1080P@60fps"; 4x1080P@60fps is equal to 1x2160P@60fps, or 1x2160P@30fps + 4x1080P@30fps, so it would be enough to fully decode FEL at 23.976fps, which is the majority of DV UHDs. However, to fully decode a FEL at 2160P@60fps, you would need to decode 1x2160P@60fps + 1x1080P@60fps, so it seems like the Chromecast with Google TV might not be able to deal with this while the AM6Plus could (in theory). If there was a 2160p@60fps FEL UHD released one day, we could test this (Gemini Man is close, but is 2160p@60fps MEL).

Also, it seems like the CPU doesn't even matter regarding this - the datasheets all say
      Amlogic Video Engine(AVE-10) off-loads the Cortex-A55 CPUs from all video CODEC processing. It includes dedicated hardware video decoder and encoder.
      So it seems like the AVE-10 hardware decoder is the key thing that is enabling the proper FEL decode on the S905D3 and S922X-J. Perhaps this explains why the RTD1619DR is not capable of decoding FEL, despite having a very similar CPU (6x ARM Cortex-A55) to the S905D3 and S922X-J.
      DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

So I have the Chinoppo, 2 Shield 2019 Pro, 4K firestick, Zidoo Z9X, had the Google thing with the long name and sold it because it can’t do lossless audio, what do I buy next, is this Ugog a winner?
      yossSP

Post by yossSP »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 am
      So I have the Chinoppo, 2 Shield 2019 Pro, 4K firestick, Zidoo Z9X, had the Google thing with the long name and sold it because it can’t do lossless audio, what do I buy next, is this Ugog a winner?
      As far as I know Ugoos AM6 don't have official certificates so it can't play HD in most of streaming platforms, but if it has good image quality it could be a good option for local content playback.

After a decade of playback of lossless audio tracks I have switched to this small device to get an all in one solution: suppport for 4K HDR, 5.1 in almost every streaming platforms, the best app store in my opinion, offical Google support, compatibility with all HDR formats in local content, great image quality and expandable through USB 3.0 type C.

About audio, Chromecast with Google TV supports:

- Dolby Digital
      - Dolby Digital Plus
      - Dolby digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
      - DTS (not officially, but it supported with Kodi)
      - DTS-ES Discrete y Matrix (not officially, but supported with Kodi)
      - AAC
      - PCM Multichannel (not officially, but supported in Kodi and Plex)

It doesn't support:
      - Dolby TrueHD
      - Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
      - DTS-HD
      - DTS-X

In my case what I do when necessary is to convert with ffmpeg the best track with audio in a format not supported in my language to Dolby Digital+ (EAC3) at 1536kbps and 5.1 channels and adding it as the default track.

I use EAC3 because is the best multichannel codec my AVR can playback (better than AC3) and I encode it at the highest secure bitrate to maximize quality. I can't go beyond 5.1 channels because it's a limitation ffmpeg has, but there are only a few films that has more than 5.1 channels in my language.

I must say that I can't hear any artifacts and can't distinct anything about audio quality from the original source, and I think I have good hearing.

Other option is to use Kodi to extract raw lossless multichannel PCM, and the audio quality would be exactly the same as the original source, as it seems to do.

Plex is not sure that sends lossless PCM and Emby has issues with this, but are working on it.

To finish I have to say that I don't have an Atmos/DTS-X ready AVR and there is practically no film that have a track of this kind in my language, so I'm not in a hurry with this. I don't know if it could be possible to convert the TrueHD stream to lossless MCPCM or EAC3 and maintain the Atmos layer.
      Last edited by yossSP on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
      Rob9000

Post by Rob9000 »

Hi

I have been using Yusesope's tool for while now - great piece of coding! Does anyone know what the tool is actually doing when it converts a DV file to profile 8.1? It looks like it is discarding the EL layer - Media info reports the output as BL+RPU whereas the source file (DV7 MKV) is reported as BL+EL+RPU.
      If the EL is being discarded then the output file is really just a HDR10 file.

Thanks
      DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

The Above reply seems to be about the GCCWTV or what ever they call it, I’m interested in the Ugoo.
      yossSP

Post by yossSP »

dysprosium wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 am
      yossSP wrote:

Ah, you're right about it being the S905D3, I'll edit my post to fix. It's interesting that the S905D3 can decode multiple streams "up to 4x1080P@60fps"; 4x1080P@60fps is equal to 1x2160P@60fps, or 1x2160P@30fps + 4x1080P@30fps, so it would be enough to fully decode FEL at 23.976fps, which is the majority of DV UHDs. However, to fully decode a FEL at 2160P@60fps, you would need to decode 1x2160P@60fps + 1x1080P@60fps, so it seems like the Chromecast with Google TV might not be able to deal with this while the AM6Plus could (in theory). If there was a 2160p@60fps FEL UHD released one day, we could test this (Gemini Man is close, but is 2160p@60fps MEL).

Also, it seems like the CPU doesn't even matter regarding this - the datasheets all say
      Amlogic Video Engine(AVE-10) off-loads the Cortex-A55 CPUs from all video CODEC processing. It includes dedicated hardware video decoder and encoder.
      So it seems like the AVE-10 hardware decoder is the key thing that is enabling the proper FEL decode on the S905D3 and S922X-J. Perhaps this explains why the RTD1619DR is not capable of decoding FEL, despite having a very similar CPU (6x ARM Cortex-A55) to the S905D3 and S922X-J.
      It sounds coherent :)

I can confirm that this Chromecast navigate fluidly Google TV and runs smoothly when playing the heaviest material I've got, which is Dolby Vision 90mbps 24fps FEL titles.
      NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

yossSP wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 pm
      dysprosium wrote:
      Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 am
      yossSP wrote:

It sounds coherent :)

I can confirm that this Chromecast navigate fluidly Google TV and runs smoothly when playing the heaviest material I've got, which is Dolby Vision 90mbps 24fps FEL titles.
      The AFR working with Chromecast?