HD Audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
griffo

HD Audio

Post by griffo »

Hi All,

I've just started playing with the software and have a bit of a noob question. I've done some searching but seem to have found conflicting answers.
What I want to do, is to rip by BD's to MKV including all the TrueHD or DTS-HD etc and then be able to play them back with the high def audio.
So my questions are
a) Is this possible?
b) What media players can bitstream the HD audio from an MKV file?

I tried ripping a movie that contains a true-HD file, but when i played it back with PDVD10 it didn't seem to have a TrueHD audio track. I opened the MKV with MKVtoolnix but not really sure what i was looking for - everything said it was an AC3 track.

Thanks!
setarip_old

Re: HD Audio

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

By any chance, is the Blu-ray you're referring to "RED"?

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

PDVD will not bitstream HD audio in an MKV container. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure it'll even decode it. What you want to setup is the freeware MPC-HC with ffdshow for bitstreaming the audio. I use haali for splitting the MKV. With that setup I get perfect bitstreamed audio and full PGS subtitle support. My setup is a bit more complicated as I then add madVR renderer for excellent PQ, but, that is not necessary. If you're using ffdshow for bitstreaming the audio, you might as well add the dxva video decoding for h.264 and vc-1, as well. That will play your MKV's perfectly.

@setarip

Is there an issue with Red 2010 US release? I just received mine today. I haven't had time to rip it or even watch it yet.
skittle

Post by skittle »

SamuriHL wrote:What you want to setup is the freeware MPC-HC with ffdshow for bitstreaming the audio.
Minor correction, but one that i believe is important: MPC-HC and ffdshow are not "freeware" they are free open source software.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

skittle wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:What you want to setup is the freeware MPC-HC with ffdshow for bitstreaming the audio.
Minor correction, but one that i believe is important: MPC-HC and ffdshow are not "freeware" they are free open source software.
You are absolutely correct, of course. Thanks!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@SamuriHL
Is there an issue with Red 2010 US release?

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2487
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:@SamuriHL
Is there an issue with Red 2010 US release?

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2487
Thanks! I'll respond to that thread.