how to decrypt UHD from backup?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jpopte

how to decrypt UHD from backup?

Post by jpopte »

In nutshell, is it possible to decrypt the encrypted UHD disk stored on the drive?

Sometime ago, I created the encrypted backup of UHD disk on the local drive using File/Backup option. It stored it in BDMV structure on the drive. Now, I load this UHD in makemkv from the local drive (e.g. by reading index.bdmv file) and want to decrypt this UHD and store it again on the BDMV structure on the drive. It loads and reads the encrypted BDMV file structure from the drive. At this point, the only option I am offered is to create MKV file from it. The "backup" menu item from File menu is greyed out. Could someone please help? Thanks.
jpopte

Re: how to decrypt UHD from backup?

Post by jpopte »

Could anyone please help? Mike? Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you are wanting to make MKV files out of it, you just open the encrypted backup's index.bdmv file; MakeMKV would have saved the information necessary to decrypt it when it was backed up.

If you want to turn it into an unencrypted backup, I cannot give exact advice, because I haven't done that before. But make sure you save the result to a DIFFERENT directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

you're gonna have to make an iso out of your encrypted backup and then mount it to a virtual drive. you can then have makemkv treat it like any other disc and do your decrypted backup.
jpopte

Post by jpopte »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:07 pm
you're gonna have to make an iso out of your encrypted backup and then mount it to a virtual drive. you can then have makemkv treat it like any other disc and do your decrypted backup.
Yeah, I tried that (using PowerISO on Win10) and the ISO file mounts just fine. However, makemv (latest rev) does not recognize this mount at all. What could I be doing wrong with mounting the ISO file? Any suggestions on mounting the ISO? Thanks.
jpopte

Post by jpopte »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:16 pm
....But make sure you save the result to a DIFFERENT directory.
Sure. Thanks.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

jpopte wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:07 pm
Yeah, I tried that (using PowerISO on Win10) and the ISO file mounts just fine. However, makemv (latest rev) does not recognize this mount at all. What could I be doing wrong with mounting the ISO file? Any suggestions on mounting the ISO? Thanks.
I've used Virtual Clonedrive to do this exact workflow in the past and have had no issues.
jpopte

Post by jpopte »

@ shawnc22, Thank You - you're right. Ultimately, the same worked for me - Virtual Clonedrive to create virtual drive and later mount using PowerISO or other tools. makeMKV recognized it.

makeMV DOES NOT recognize the virtual drive created by PowerISO. Very frustrating.

Is this a bug? Could makeMKV team look at this problem and possibly fix it please? Thanks.