Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
lucbm

Re: Help an idiot with a 1st gen WH14NS40

#76 Post by lucbm » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 pm
lucbm wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm
My drive is recognized by the applications. I can read, erase and write firmware. However, the firmware extracted from the unit always gives the error message on the EEPROM DATA MOVER: incorrect firmware file !!!
What did you use to extract your current firmware and can you tell us the size of the output file.
I used 2 applications: dosflash32 and sdftool flasher.
Both firmwares had an error in the EEPROM Data Mover.
Output file size: both 2048 kb, but generated different files.

MartyMcNuts

#77 Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 pm

lucbm wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
lucbm wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm
My drive is recognized by the applications. I can read, erase and write firmware. However, the firmware extracted from the unit always gives the error message on the EEPROM DATA MOVER: incorrect firmware file !!!
What did you use to extract your current firmware and can you tell us the size of the output file.
You're the first person I've ever heard of that is having trouble with EEPROM data mover!!

Ok, don't use the file from sdftool with eeprom data mover. Only use the dosflash one. Also, when using eeprom data mover, are you selecting the 2 files the right way around?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

lucbm

#78 Post by lucbm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 pm
lucbm wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:

You're the first person I've ever heard of that is having trouble with EEPROM data mover!!

Ok, don't use the file from sdftool with eeprom data mover. Only use the dosflash one. Also, when using eeprom data mover, are you selecting the 2 files the right way around?

In fact, I cannot continue the process, as the first file requested is the extracted firmware.
The error message appears and I cannot proceed.
I believe my driver is dead.

Sorry for English...

jonghotti

#79 Post by jonghotti » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:00 am
dekedubya wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Beware of newbies on here listing UHD friendly drives.
just saying me marty and alex were here helping far more people then he ever has and he probably used firmware or flashers made by marty or me at some point.
just saying we sell the drives here to so do consider us
Yes I'm not sure why it was necessary to paste that guy's drivel here.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

cruissoi

#80 Post by cruissoi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 am

Hi guys,

I have been catching up on this forum left and right.. the reason I ended up here will be interesting/funny to some of you specially those who helped the original OP deal with his semi-bricked drive...

Comes out that LG's support site, actually does not specify whether a firmware update is for the old revision or the new revision of the WH14NS40...
I had been using my old revision drive for a long time with a mac with an external enclosure (I know i know.... ) and honestly had not gotten into the UHDs yet. I recently built a PC after more than 2 decades of being off windows... naively I went ahead and updated the firmware thinking it would make the drive work better with windows 10. So basically I updated using THEIR firmware updater to version 1.05 (this one: https://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?f ... Ide9MsXnSA) found in this page: https://www.lg.com/us/support/software- ... 40.AUSU10B and ended up bricking my drive because that firmware is for the new revision of the drive (NS50). I am not sure what can be done here... Obviously the procedure outlined here using dosflash will probably work. My problem is that my new PC's box doesn't have a drive bay and this procedure requires connecting the drive internally through SATA in IDE mode, so this is more trouble than I want to deal with right now... I will just buy another drive, but I thought it would be worth while telling the story and perhaps maybe finding a way to warn others with old drives NOT TO UPDATE the firmware from LG's website....

Thanks guys

jonghotti

#81 Post by jonghotti » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Yeah it sort of goes without saying that no one from this site should be going to either ASUS or LG's website for anything firmware related...
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

ametalslimedrawsnear

#82 Post by ametalslimedrawsnear » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:01 pm

I too made the mistake of updating my drive with the official firmware from the LG site (for the older drive). It was not until after doing so, that I found out about the steps on this forum (and the SVC code variations).
As the other user said, I created the USB with Rufus and had a firmware error while using the move over tool.

brucehvn

#83 Post by brucehvn » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 am

Count me in to that group that got suckered by the LG website. I read their readme files from top to bottom and they never mention anything about the different models. Almost like they want to forget the NS40 versions ever existed though they won't change the stupid model number. Even if they've discontinued support for the NS40s, they should at least post some kind of a warning about it.

So, in my case, I can still flash the drive successfully using makemkvcon on Linux (NS50 firmwares). Can I attempt to flash the NS40 firmware with that or do I still need to use the dosflash method? I'm trying to be very careful about my next step now that I know what happened. The drive is currently in a USB enclosure (Mercury Pro), but I could find an old computer to put it in if necessary.

Billycar11

#84 Post by Billycar11 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:48 am

brucehvn wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 am
Count me in to that group that got suckered by the LG website. I read their readme files from top to bottom and they never mention anything about the different models. Almost like they want to forget the NS40 versions ever existed though they won't change the stupid model number. Even if they've discontinued support for the NS40s, they should at least post some kind of a warning about it.

So, in my case, I can still flash the drive successfully using makemkvcon on Linux (NS50 firmwares). Can I attempt to flash the NS40 firmware with that or do I still need to use the dosflash method? I'm trying to be very careful about my next step now that I know what happened. The drive is currently in a USB enclosure (Mercury Pro), but I could find an old computer to put it in if necessary.
5th time
Read this and follow all the reply's follow the same steps
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p104021
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com

brucehvn

#85 Post by brucehvn » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:48 am
5th time
Read this and follow all the reply's follow the same steps
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p104021
Sorry, Billy. Don't mean to be annoying. Just so many threads here it's hard to navigate through them all. I'm reading the SDFTool thread now.