Title failed to save

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Anakunda

Title failed to save

Post by Anakunda »

Greetings,

happened on several DVDs I was unable to save DVD title.
I don;t know what's wrong because the DVD can be played in video player and there's nothing more said in log pane just title0.mkv failed save.
Working solution ?

Code: Select all

Opening files on harddrive at H:/video/DVD/1/VIDEO_TS/
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
Title #0 was added (9 cell(s), 1:24:40)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory C:/Users/Anakunda/Videos
Failed to save title 0 to file C:/Users/Anakunda/Videos/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
mike admin

Re: Title failed to save

Post by mike admin »

Please enable debug log per http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8 and post it here.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Here you go:

thanks.
eagleeye82

Post by eagleeye82 »

I have the same problem running on OSX 10.6 trying to copy Terminator 3.

Will not copy title 00 but it will copy title 01.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Another MakeMKV issue:

Setting up wrong FPS resulting A/V missync in target mkv.

DVD name: Buffalo '66
DVD format: DVD9 Progressive 23.976fps
Target FPS: 29.970
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

A badly ripped DVD, please try original DVD disc.
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Could you in the future add ability to handle even badly ripped DVDs?
I don't have the original...Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

hi!
I don't have the original...
Then it's inappropriate to post a question about it at the MakeMKV Forums...

homeuser

Post by homeuser »

setarip_old wrote:hi!
I don't have the original...
I have the same situation in the thread i created. So here's my question. Are you saying that you won't try to fix DVD error issues unless you first make sure that the requester has the original dvd? You are basically saying that you are acting like the copyright police. That's fine, but what you're also saying is that you won't fix actual problems that the software will have with certain dvd's or files from dvd's. So in the end, the software just won't be as useful as it could be.

The other problem I have with this sort of attitude is just because you ask someone to "prove" they have the original DVD, doesn't actually prove anything. The person can lie. The person can go to the store and find whatever "proof of purchase" information you are asking for (or just go online). The person can borrow a friend's DVD. The person can get the DVD from Netflix. In other words, there is no way you can check for all of those things. i don't even understand why you would want to.

So that brings me to my point. Why not just fix any errors that come up without being suspicious or anything like that? because in the end, it will make MakeMKV a much more useful and trouble-free software, which I hope is a goal. It's not your job to be the copyright police. If you don't fix people's issues with dvd's (whether they purchased them or not), they are not going to use the software as much. On the other hand, if your software has the reputation to work with every situation that could come up with users, then you truly have a great product.

I have high hopes for this program. I've tested it out a few times, and it works great for the most part. Now, my video collection is all over the place. I have movies on my hard drive that I've ripped (possibly incorrectly). For at least a couple of the dvd's, I know I've literally lost the actual discs, but I still have it on my computer so I don't really care. I also have some that I've copied, I admit it. I just don't see what MakeMKV has to gain from checking how it is that I got the movies.

If it is something you can fix without the original disc, I suggest you do it because it just makes the program better. But to refuse to fix something because the person didn't buy it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, from any viewpoint. Now, if you CAN'T fix it without the original disc, that's another issue. But i don't think that's the case.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@homeuser

1) You'll find similar rules in place and enforced at many "clean" forums. Among other purposes, such rules are in place in order to protect the forum and its owner(s) from being threatened/sued/closed down by entities such as the MPAA, SONY, the former Macrovision, etc.

If you'd like proof of such events occurring, go to:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/

and read their Rule #19 that resulted primarily from their willingness to host such questions.

2) In light of the relatively gentle nature of my post:
your post seems "over the top"...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

homeuser wrote:Now, if you CAN'T fix it without the original disc, that's another issue. But i don't think that's the case.
That's what I was referring as a badly ripped disc - the video stream is corrupted beyond repair.

This doesn't however invalidate any points raised by setarip_old.
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

@homeuser

How utterly RIDICULOUS to expect Mike to address a problem so obviously related to a POORLY ripped COPY of a commercial DVD!

What planet are you on anyway?

Sheesh... Get real!
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

Sorry, I did not intend for my post to be so over the top or inflammatory. I wasn't angry or annoyed or anything...very neutral. i just wanted to understand what the issue really was. Sorry about that, it's sometimes difficult to get the proper tone across with text.

Here's a question: let's say a video is badly ripped. Could makemkv still convert it, but just give a warning that there may be errors with the file? I ask because the badly ripped files seem to play perfectly fine in the players. So even if there are some bad sectors (or whatever it is) the converted mkv might still be able to play without any noticeable differences. And the program would be more desirable also, so everyone wins.

Anyway, fairly soon I'm going to really start converting my dvd's (once I figure out how many hard drives and equipment I need). So I'm just trying to help the program work for any situation we might encounter. I have some ISO's that I ripped long before I knew anything about ripping, and I suspect they may have similar issues. But I can always find the dvd's around here somewhere if I need to. I hate using discs, so I'm really looking forward to using this program.
Goldengoose7

Post by Goldengoose7 »

No problem. It is often hard to convey your actual emotional state in a text message. :)

Its just that this is obviously a VERY touchy subject since it is assumed that everyone is copying their own PERSONAL COPY of the DVDs they OWN, and not a bootleg or something illegal. I would say that when it comes to a COPY of a commercial disc... considering all the ways a user could screw up the copying process, it is impossible for an app like MakeMKV to anticipate every conceivable issue. My suggestion to anyone out there using this app is to stick with LEGIT media and stay clear of dupes made by friends and friends of friends etc.

Personally, I have transferred over 250 store bought DVD and Blu-ray based movies and TV episodes using MakeMKV and so far, I have not run into a single title that ultimately failed to transfer. Now, as I mentioned in a few other threads, once in awhile, for whatever reason, MakeMKV will FAIL to copy a title, but I have found that if I quit the app, relaunch it and try it again it almost always works fine. A few times this still failed and then I ejected the DVD and reloaded it into the drive and then launched MakeMKV, and this time the problematic DVD was copied normally.

Why this happens is not clear to me, but I can only assume that with all the copy protection that needs to be sorted through, this likely has a lot of to do with. The few discs that have given me the above mentioned trouble have always been heavily encrypted. Far more elaborately than the majority of the DVDs and Blu-rays in my collection.
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

How about this method? Can I rip a dvd to an ISO image, and then use that image in makemkv to convert it? Is that a practice that I should do? I ask because I have already previously done the legwork of converting things to ISO's and I'm not going to want to find the dvd's themselves, but I will if I have to.

If using ISO files is fine, is there a way you recommend making ISO files that would be more accurate or problem free than another? Is using ImgBurn along with Anydvd good enough, or is there a better way?