Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
XTrojan

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by XTrojan »

Anyone know if the new Google ChromeCast (4th generation) can playback DV BluRays formats with full support FEL etc?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

XTrojan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 pm
Anyone know if the new Google ChromeCast (4th generation) can playback DV BluRays formats with full support FEL etc?
It cannot
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:00 pm
DV could be only supported for Streaming apps....
I really hope it supports dual-layer FEL + lossless audio with PLEX. If it does, I think I'm going to buy one.
Hoping I'm wrong but I noticed that this new Dune player has the same SoC (Realtek RTD1619) as the new Zidoo players, and those are only compatible with MEL. Who knows, but maybe it's a software/licensing limitation this time that the Dune guys have somehow gotten around.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:22 pm
kws53 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:17 pm
Thanks. So - Latest TSMuxer release (JustDan) is the perfect way to go creating DT DL P7.
Final question - your signature refers to a .TS file from DolbyLabs (I downloaded) and you refer to it "fixing" a DL problem on the x700? I'm confused based on what you say above...
yeah, the TS/M2TS files created by tsMuxer have a bug.
When you stop playback of a DT-DL TS file, the next file you play will have a green or purple tint on it. The x700 and the Oppo somehow get locked in that mode and only(besides rebooting) playing the TS demo file in my signature will unlock the player. I think playing back an original UHD-BD should unlock the player as well.
man that's annoying. This happens to every file? Even if we stop the playback of a file and play the same file again, it will have the tint?

Any other bugs on this x700 that I should know about besides this tint and forced flags sub issue? I'm looking to buy one and an avr/speaker setup that comes with it so it will be a pretty big purchase as a whole and I want to make sure every part meets my needs.
daddy

Post by daddy »

kuka7 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 am
b- is there an easy way to rip BD with DV and play them with Oled LG E8 internal player? (Plex app on LG doesn't support mkv with DV)
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 525#p76820
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:09 am
XTrojan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 pm
It cannot
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:00 pm
DV could be only supported for Streaming apps....
I really hope it supports dual-layer FEL + lossless audio with PLEX. If it does, I think I'm going to buy one.
Hoping I'm wrong but I noticed that this new Dune player has the same SoC (Realtek RTD1619) as the new Zidoo players, and those are only compatible with MEL. Who knows, but maybe it's a software/licensing limitation this time that the Dune guys have somehow gotten around.
I own the Zidoo and their rhetoric is the same as Nvidia- no official Profile 7 support for media players.
The fact that profile 7 does work as Mel is something you sense they will turn a blind eye too, as long as Dolby doesn’t kick off, their main selling point is Dolby Vision support in apps and the VS10 engine.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:35 pm
kws53 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:26 pm
Now that it is clear that the Shield/CX has a problem with DV, does it make sense to remux the DV releases to HDR10 (drop the EL+RPU layer)? Or is what we are seeing equivalent to HDR10, only labelled as DV?
while it's ignoring the EL, you are still getting dynamic HDR from the Shield. It's no better than HDR10plus and it's superior to HDR10.
But yes, because of the red push issue, I think HDR10 is better. Not anyone will notice the issue though, there are a couple of clowns on avsforum that say we are all crazy and that the red push does not exist.
So if you don't really care about color accuracy and losing FEL, the shield DV output is fine.

What bell end that guy is.
I own a colorimeter, a spectrometer a licence for Calman home and a licence for Chromapure, I’ve been calibrating my sets for years, and the Shield is wrong, even on some HDR10 movies I look at the picture and think “that isn’t suppose to look like that..”
Out if the 4 main media players I use Shield (2019 or 2017, I own 3 shields) has the least desirable pic, I would rate Oppo clone tops for DV obvs, Zidoo Z9X tops for HDR10, and the Firestick 4K tops for frame rate accurate streaming.
The shield does a lot of things, but there isn’t one thing it does which is tip top.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:10 am
man that's annoying. This happens to every file? Even if we stop the playback of a file and play the same file again, it will have the tint?

Any other bugs on this x700 that I should know about besides this tint and forced flags sub issue? I'm looking to buy one and an avr/speaker setup that comes with it so it will be a pretty big purchase as a whole and I want to make sure every part meets my needs.
unfortunately yes, every time. It's a tsmuxer bug though because the same happens when you play TS/MT2S DV file on the oppo. Strangely the single track dual layer files don't have this issue but some ST-DL file just wont play at all
It honestly doesn't bother me that much since I never watch two movies in a row. But it did annoy me a lot when I watched Westworld a couple of months ago.

here are the main issues:
- red/green tint after TS/M2TS DV playback (you can use the file in my signature to unlock the player)
- no automatic forced subs
- no FF / RW for the longer movies (2h20+)
- a slow ethernet port.
- you have to turn off DV when you want to watch HDR10.
kuka7

Post by kuka7 »

daddy wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:53 am
kuka7 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:24 am
b- is there an easy way to rip BD with DV and play them with Oled LG E8 internal player? (Plex app on LG doesn't support mkv with DV)
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 525#p76820
Thanks, but that's way too complicated for me
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:35 pm
while it's ignoring the EL, you are still getting dynamic HDR from the Shield. It's no better than HDR10plus and it's superior to HDR10.
Cannot agree with your statement.
There are 6 trim options in Dolby Vision Content Mapping v2.9 (since UHD Blu-Rays are limited to v2.9) (https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... ing_v4.pdf page 13)
Parameters for these trims stored in PRU and applied to image even if FEL removed, because FEL is irrelevant to this process

So no, removing EL doesn't make video just HDR10plus
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:27 pm
Cannot agree with your statement.
There are 6 trim options in Dolby Vision Content Mapping v2.9 (since UHD Blu-Rays are limited to v2.9) (https://professional.dolby.com/siteasse ... ing_v4.pdf page 13)
Parameters for these trims stored in PRU and applied to image even if FEL removed, because FEL is irrelevant to this process

So no, removing EL doesn't make video just HDR10plus
Well, that's the way DV handles the dynamic metadata in RPU. Of course, HDR10plus will be different in that way but in the end, I highly doubt there's visually any difference between HDR10+ & DV without FEL if the same colorist/persons graded the movie.
I think there are some bluray with both HDR format, maybe someone with hardware that supports both can comment on that.
morbius

Post by morbius »

Been doing a few DV vs HDR10+ comparisons with Back to the Future 3. Sources are the Shield/Plex (mkv from 1.15.4), Vero 4K+/Kodi on the 4.9 test kernel for HDR10+, and a Sony X700 (m2ts from full disc backup via USB). All sources routed through a Marantz AVR to a Panny HZ980 OLED (supports DV and HDR10+).

First step was to configure settings on the TV to give as close to like for like as possible for DV vs HDR10. I had noticed from my ATV that DV out of Disney+ did not look at all good in the TV’s “IQ mode”, but found one of the other DV picture modes could be customised to match my HDR10 profile on all user-selectable settings.

For DV I have been using LLDV. This might be an issue with the Panny, but for TV-led DV there is a strong tendency to overcook the lift in shadow detail for all DV sources. So eg the saloon bar scene early on looks almost floodlit, totally unnatural. LLDV looks much more “right”. Maybe a firmware update will fix this.

On to the comparisons. First of all, regardless of DV/HDR10, the Shield, for me, does not quite produce the detail levels I see from the ATV (Infuse Pro), X700 and the Vero.

HDR10+ from the Vero is very good, and the Vero has a rock-solid user experience as a media player. The X700 DV does add some additional richness/vibrancy, eg when Marty runs out from the saloon and is chased through the town, the sunshine has a touch more punch.

The Shield is like a slightly gaudy version of the X700. In overall tone it is closer to the X700 than the Vero, but I think it’s a touch too warm and there is a slight loss of detail (this is quite noticeable when comparing Spiderman Homecoming across sources).

So my conclusion is that HDR10+ from the Vero is not quite as good as DV on the X700, but I much prefer it to DV from the Shield. Given how flaky the X700 is as a media player, I think the ATV and the Vero will be my primary sources for now, and I’ll see how things progress with the Shield.
HarperVision

Post by HarperVision »

morbius wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:08 pm
Been doing a few DV vs HDR10+ comparisons with Back to the Future 3. Sources are the Shield/Plex (mkv from 1.15.4), Vero 4K+/Kodi on the 4.9 test kernel for HDR10+, and a Sony X700 (m2ts from full disc backup via USB). All sources routed through a Marantz AVR to a Panny HZ980 OLED (supports DV and HDR10+).

First step was to configure settings on the TV to give as close to like for like as possible for DV vs HDR10. I had noticed from my ATV that DV out of Disney+ did not look at all good in the TV’s “IQ mode”, but found one of the other DV picture modes could be customised to match my HDR10 profile on all user-selectable settings.

For DV I have been using LLDV. This might be an issue with the Panny, but for TV-led DV there is a strong tendency to overcook the lift in shadow detail for all DV sources. So eg the saloon bar scene early on looks almost floodlit, totally unnatural. LLDV looks much more “right”. Maybe a firmware update will fix this.

On to the comparisons. First of all, regardless of DV/HDR10, the Shield, for me, does not quite produce the detail levels I see from the ATV (Infuse Pro), X700 and the Vero.

HDR10+ from the Vero is very good, and the Vero has a rock-solid user experience as a media player. The X700 DV does add some additional richness/vibrancy, eg when Marty runs out from the saloon and is chased through the town, the sunshine has a touch more punch.

The Shield is like a slightly gaudy version of the X700. In overall tone it is closer to the X700 than the Vero, but I think it’s a touch too warm and there is a slight loss of detail (this is quite noticeable when comparing Spiderman Homecoming across sources).

So my conclusion is that HDR10+ from the Vero is not quite as good as DV on the X700, but I much prefer it to DV from the Shield. Given how flaky the X700 is as a media player, I think the ATV and the Vero will be my primary sources for now, and I’ll see how things progress with the Shield.
What are your findings on the AppleTV 4K with Infuse Pro? Are you getting DV at all with it? I have tried many of the options here in this thread and haven't been able to get DV with this, if it is even possible? I have done various combinations with DVDFab, MakeMKV and TSMuxeR.
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

Hi.

What app options are there for Dolby Vision playback via a Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) on a Panasonic GZ950 OLED? I’ve read some mention Plex beta app, is that currently the only option?

Thanks.
morbius

Post by morbius »

What are your findings on the AppleTV 4K with Infuse Pro? Are you getting DV at all with it? I have tried many of the options here in this thread and haven't been able to get DV with this, if it is even possible? I have done various combinations with DVDFab, MakeMKV and TSMuxeR.
There is no real DV from Infuse Pro on the ATV from UHD-mkv's, but you can be tricked into thinking it works. Very occasionally, my ATV will re-set its DV enabled status and invite me to "try Dolby Vision". On enabling DV, you need to be careful that the system settings have "match range" enabled for dynamic range. Otherwise, you'll get the DV logo on your display when playing an mkv, and at first I thought that meant DV is working as I was playing a DV mkv, but then found out I also got the DV logo when playing an HDR10 title. The reason for this was that match dynamic range had accidentally got disabled. When match range is enabled in system settings, I always get HDR10.

Couple of issues to consider with the ATV: no passthrough of DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD, but Infuse will output hi-res PCM as far as I can tell. I have surround channels but not overhead, so for me I am ok with Infuse but lack of hi-res passthrough could be a dealbreaker for some. Also, I noticed that ATV/Infuse seem to use weave deinterlace on everything. So native 50i material is unwatchable on the ATV, as it throws away the 50Hz motion. It's ok with TV drama that is progressive at source but authored in a 50i stream (lots of UK TV drama is like this), but just dreadful for genuinely native interlaced material (e.g. older studio TV material). This may be a general issue with the ATV, not just with Infuse. I looked briefly at Plex, but lip-sync on the ATV with Plex is such a joke the demo did not last long.
HarperVision

Post by HarperVision »

morbius wrote:
There is no real DV from Infuse Pro on the ATV from UHD-mkv's, but you can be tricked into thinking it works. Very occasionally, my ATV will re-set its DV enabled status and invite me to "try Dolby Vision". On enabling DV, you need to be careful that the system settings have "match range" enabled for dynamic range. Otherwise, you'll get the DV logo on your display when playing an mkv, and at first I thought that meant DV is working as I was playing a DV mkv, but then found out I also got the DV logo when playing an HDR10 title. The reason for this was that match dynamic range had accidentally got disabled. When match range is enabled in system settings, I always get HDR10.

Couple of issues to consider with the ATV: no passthrough of DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD, but Infuse will output hi-res PCM as far as I can tell. I have surround channels but not overhead, so for me I am ok with Infuse but lack of hi-res passthrough could be a dealbreaker for some. Also, I noticed that ATV/Infuse seem to use weave deinterlace on everything. So native 50i material is unwatchable on the ATV, as it throws away the 50Hz motion. It's ok with TV drama that is progressive at source but authored in a 50i stream (lots of UK TV drama is like this), but just dreadful for genuinely native interlaced material (e.g. older studio TV material). This may be a general issue with the ATV, not just with Infuse. I looked briefly at Plex, but lip-sync on the ATV with Plex is such a joke the demo did not last long.
Yes that can be tricky so I always make sure I check the HDfury web GUI to see what is being sent. I’m the one who discovered the HDFury LLDV/Dolby Vision hack for HDR only displays/projectors and shared it with the world, so I know this well and check It often.

So the answer is, Infuse Pro only plays the HDR base layer of the DV rip so I’m only getting HDR10 and no DV, correct?

I do like the results of it with Dolby Vision forced on with Match Dynamic Range set to off. The AppleTV 4K does an exemplary job of mapping it to pseudo Dolby Vision but I’d love to feed it real DV if at all possible of course!