Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kws53

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by kws53 »

While the Shield/CX combination has issues with DV, do they handle HDR10 perfectly?
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 pm
XTrojan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 am
I have been checking out some BluRay players, specifically the Panasonic UB820, The sony X700, X800M2 and X1100. In most reviews it says the UB820 has the best PQ for Dolby Vision but it has subpar support for playing back ripped BDs. Do the Sonys have as good network streaming support (of Bluray files) like for say Kodi or Plex does (without the dolby vision bugs/issues, full support MEL & FEL and TV-Led playback)?
All the bluray players have the same DV SDK so they all output the same quality.
Yes the Sony support tv-led, FEL, MEL... No DV color issues. All of this has been answered in the past few days. you guys should read the thread a bit instead of repeating the same questions over and over
Network playback(DLNA, no plex) works too but it's not fast enough for high bitrate movies.
Alright, I understand if it it's same quality on both I'll just buy the best one with best DLNA streaming. It's a bit lame they don't support high bitrate movies though is it limited by a 100mbps connection or wifi? Or any way to fix since most Blu-Ray rips can reach 140Mbps? Also curious what formats in dolby vision it supports like mkv, mp4 etc

Second question, ripping with MP4 like on this thread, is it a profile that contains MEL+FEL and everything? Was thinking of trying to test this on my LG CX with the WebOS player to try to see the difference (if it works)
morbius

Post by morbius »

I've looked through a lot of this thread, and have struggled to pin down whether a workflow exists that delivers an X700-friendly file with both DV video and TrueHD audio (with support for forced subs as the icing on the cake). While some of my 4K content is DTS, a lot is TrueHD/Atmos. I figured out that tsmuxer does not support the latter, and needs an AC3 track, does this mean I have to forego TrueHD audio? I'd rather have the hi-res audio and HDR10 than trade that for DV.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

XTrojan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 pm
Alright, I understand if it it's same quality on both I'll just buy the best one with best DLNA streaming. It's a bit lame they don't support high bitrate movies though is it limited by a 100mbps connection or wifi? Or any way to fix since most Blu-Ray rips can reach 140Mbps? Also curious what formats in dolby vision it supports like mkv, mp4 etc
The X800M2 supports wifi 5 (ac) so you should be able to avoid any buffering (assuming you can connect at a high enough rate) caused by high bit rate movies that way.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

morbius wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm
I've looked through a lot of this thread, and have struggled to pin down whether a workflow exists that delivers an X700-friendly file with both DV video and TrueHD audio (with support for forced subs as the icing on the cake). While some of my 4K content is DTS, a lot is TrueHD/Atmos. I figured out that tsmuxer does not support the latter, and needs an AC3 track, does this mean I have to forego TrueHD audio? I'd rather have the hi-res audio and HDR10 than trade that for DV.
Tsmuxer supports truehd; it just has to contain an ac3 core, which the original m2ts files on the disc always do. The workflow is literally just drop the main playlist file into tsmuxer and click mux.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

morbius wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:37 pm
This really isn't a problem since in order to even get DV (in the tsmuxer remux) you need to remux from the full Blu-ray BDMV anyway (so the AC3 core should be there). If the "source" you are working with doesn't have the AC3 core then you are probably working with a movie that was improperly remuxed or (worst) re-encoded.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kws53 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:09 pm
While the Shield/CX combination has issues with DV, do they handle HDR10 perfectly?
yes, HDR10 on the Shield is accurate and matches 100% my x700 and HTPC.
morbius

Post by morbius »

This really isn't a problem since in order to even get DV (in the tsmuxer remux) you need to remux from the full Blu-ray BDMV anyway (so the AC3 core should be there). If the "source" you are working with doesn't have the AC3 core then you are probably working with a movie that was improperly remuxed or (worst) re-encoded.
thanks, all my rips are direct via makemkv, but I never tick the box to include a separate DD/DTS core in the output mkv, as I have no need for it. So I realise now that such an mkv cannot be an input for tsmuxer. But if I do a full-disc decrypted backup and identify the main-title playlist, I'll be set. So maybe the X700 will be an option worth looking at.
morbius

Post by morbius »

one further quick question: does it make any difference if I output ts or m2ts from tsmuxer, with the X700 as the playback device?
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Driveless chinese oppo clone named M9702 or similar could be more interesting compared to X800M2
1Gbps LAN
BDMV folders over network with working Blu-ray menu
HDR10/DV/HDR10+
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
glc650

Post by glc650 »

morbius wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 pm
one further quick question: does it make any difference if I output ts or m2ts from tsmuxer, with the X700 as the playback device?
I never tried always used m2ts since that is the container found on BR disc anyway. I would go with X800M2 at this point (unless you don't have good wifi 5 signal where the player will go).
glc650

Post by glc650 »

lexyz wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:32 pm
Driveless chinese oppo clone named M9702 or similar could be more interesting compared to X800M2
1Gbps LAN
BDMV folders over network with working Blu-ray menu
HDR10/DV/HDR10+
If only the price wasn't outrageous. Or if the firmware was still being updated might be worth it at the current price.
morbius

Post by morbius »

thanks for advice. My one other question is whether forced subs get handled automatically via the m2ts method played in to the X700/X800. If not, that's a bit of a chore. All my mkv's are correctly tagged for forced subs, so Kodi/Plex pull them up seamlessly.

EDIT: if the X700/X800 plays a full-disc backup folder off a local USB drive [does it?], I have full virtual disc capability?
glc650

Post by glc650 »

morbius wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:46 pm
thanks for advice. My one other question is whether forced subs get handled automatically via the m2ts method played in to the X700/X800. If not, that's a bit of a chore. All my mkv's are correctly tagged for forced subs, so Kodi/Plex pull them up seamlessly.

EDIT: if the X700/X800 plays a full-disc backup folder off a local USB drive [does it?], I have full virtual disc capability?
X800 is not the same as X800M2. I believe the X800 (non-m2) only does HDR10. I don't recall what happens with forced subs but I think that depends on if the move has forced hard coded. If not you might have to select the forced track. I don't believe these players support BDMV backups (I know they don't over the network) at all (so m2ts/ts only).
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

forced flags don't work on the x700.. you have to manually activate the subtitles.