Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
XTrojan

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by XTrojan »

Just got a LG CX and was thinking of re-ripping my BluRays for Dolby Vision playback, however after reading this thread it seems there's many issues with DV.
I use the Internal LG CX Player and also have a Nvidia Shield with Plex. After reading around some it seems TV-Led DV seems superior which means limiting myself to dual layer mp4 instead of using Plex on the Shield.
But from reading around the internal player has playback Issues, and the Shield has the color palette issue as well as not supporting FEL (unsure if the internal player supports FEL?).

Is there any "bug-free" method of playing back Dolby Vision right now with all it's features (FEL+MEL, whatever you name it) or should I just keep myself to HDR10?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 am
Sorry I don't really understand this part... Say a movie is hdr10 only, why don't you play the m2ts file using the x700 but a htpc instead?
Because I would have to turn off Dolby vision every time I want to watch HDR10/SDR otherwise, HDR10/SDR content would be in fake DV.
Anyway, even if there was an auto-switch mode for DV/HDR10 on the x700, I would still use my HTPC for HDR10/SDR because it's much more practical. plus nothing can beat madVR when there is up-scaling involved (I have an RTX3070 :) ).
Also, I will use the Shield for MEL DV movies if they ever fix the red push issue. So eventually on my end, the x700 will only be good for FEL movies
XTrojan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 am
Is there any "bug-free" method of playing back Dolby Vision right now with all it's features (FEL+MEL, whatever you name it) or should I just keep myself to HDR10?
The Sony X700 or X800 or the Oppo.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sorry I don't really understand this part... Say a movie is hdr10 only, why don't you play the m2ts file using the x700 but a htpc instead?
Because I would have to turn off Dolby vision every time I want to watch HDR10/SDR content . otherwise, with DV turned on it would be in fake DV.
Anyway, even if there was an auto-match mode for DV/HDR10 on the x700, I would still use my HTPC for HDR10/SDR because it's much more practical. plus nothing can beat madVR when there is up-scaling involved (I have an RTX3070 :) ).
Also, I will use the Shield for MEL DV movies if they ever fix the red push issue. So eventually on my end, the x700 will only be good for FEL movies
XTrojan wrote:
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:38 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Because I would have to turn off Dolby vision every time I want to watch HDR10/SDR otherwise, HDR10/SDR content would be in fake DV.
Anyway, even if there was an auto-switch mode for DV/HDR10 on the x700, I would still use my HTPC for HDR10/SDR because it's much more practical. plus nothing can beat madVR when there is up-scaling involved (I have an RTX3070 :) ).
XTrojan wrote:
Don't know about the Sonys, but the Oppos are player led Dolby Visions I think? HDTV Test ran a comparison and there was a noticeable difference between the internal Bravia player and the Oppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_a77zJTrO4
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

XTrojan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 am
Don't know about the Sonys, but the Oppos are player led Dolby Visions I think? HDTV Test ran a comparison and there was a noticeable difference between the internal Bravia player and the Oppo
oppo and sony support both modes. tv-led and player-led
with your CX you will be getting tv-led DV, don't worry.
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 am
XTrojan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 am
oppo and sony support both modes. tv-led and player-led
with your CX you will be getting tv-led DV, don't worry.
I see, is it guaranteed though that the Shield will never support FEL, fix the red tint issue and start supporting all DV profiles? I'm unsure about the LG CX internal player other than that it's limited to these mp4 rips and currently doesn't work according to some recent posts, it did in the past however support all dolby vision profiles and MEL+FEL? Correct me if i'm wrong, kinda new into this dolby vision stuff.
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

Is the red tint and FEL support such a big problem? Is it a problem for general watching? I'm pretty content and happy with my Shield, otherwise.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:39 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Because I would have to turn off Dolby vision every time I want to watch HDR10/SDR content . otherwise, with DV turned on it would be in fake DV.
Anyway, even if there was an auto-match mode for DV/HDR10 on the x700, I would still use my HTPC for HDR10/SDR because it's much more practical. plus nothing can beat madVR when there is up-scaling involved (I have an RTX3070 :) ).
XTrojan wrote:
I have a few more questions:
-what is the usb port on the x700? Is it usb 3.0? For high bitrate movies, is there any problem (e.g. stuttering, freezing) playing the dolby vision m2ts file straight from the external hdd connected to the x700? Gemini Man in 4k 60fps dolby vision is an example. That file stutters like hell on my c9, but probably that's because the c9's chip is not powerful enough, not because of the usb speed.
-why do you need the Shield when you have a powerful pc and the x700 that can play everything I wonder?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:52 am
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:52 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:35 am
So oled tvs' internal media player and the oppo 203 are still the best ways to watch these DV remuxes?
But TV internal players aren't the best for playback, they lack chapters, may lack capacity for some audios (LG CX for example lacks DTS support).. lacks PGS support.. is it really worth it?
Your right, it probably isn’t worth the hassle, I have gone back to ripping FEL titles as Movie only ISO and watching on the Chinoppo, I upgraded my server with an extra 24tb of the Christmas break so I’ve got space to play with for a while.
Do love the convenience of Kodi / Plex/ HT4 though ☹️
Have you tried the method outlined here for integrating Emby with your chinoppo:

https://www.avpasion.com/foro/t/xnoppo- ... 9205.2779/

Seems promising and could be the best of both worlds if you can get it work.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:06 am
Is the red tint and FEL support such a big problem? Is it a problem for general watching? I'm pretty content and happy with my Shield, otherwise.
Hi, I would say if you are content with the output of the shield, don’t see the red push and don’t see the difference in ‘some’ movies without the FEL layer, then you don’t really need Dolby Vision.
You will be fine with HDR10.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:52 am
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:52 am

But TV internal players aren't the best for playback, they lack chapters, may lack capacity for some audios (LG CX for example lacks DTS support).. lacks PGS support.. is it really worth it?
Your right, it probably isn’t worth the hassle, I have gone back to ripping FEL titles as Movie only ISO and watching on the Chinoppo, I upgraded my server with an extra 24tb of the Christmas break so I’ve got space to play with for a while.
Do love the convenience of Kodi / Plex/ HT4 though ☹️
Have you tried the method outlined here for integrating Emby with your chinoppo:

https://www.avpasion.com/foro/t/xnoppo- ... 9205.2779/

Seems promising and could be the best of both worlds if you can get it work.
Hi, I followed that thread last year just as they was testing and teasing with it, (that is the site I bought the unit through) but most users have been disappointed with it so I never gave it a go, the way I understand it is you browse the library on an external device and then ‘fling’ it to the Chinoppo which is neither here nor there to me.
It’s no biggy I was hoping for the holy grail of total integration and that Yuescope or somebody else had found a way to wrap Dual Stream into a format devices could decode fully.
Off topic: latest releases of DVD fab claim to mixing TrueHD into mp4 AND achieving playback via e-arc.
I don’t have an AVR capable of e-arc or the money for a Diva, anybody been able to try this? Is this where Youscope and others that where originally working on this project disappeared too, working for DVDfab?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:18 am
Hi, I followed that thread last year just as they was testing and teasing with it, (that is the site I bought the unit through) but most users have been disappointed with it so I never gave it a go, the way I understand it is you browse the library on an external device and then ‘fling’ it to the Chinoppo which is neither here nor there to me.
It’s no biggy I was hoping for the holy grail of total integration and that Yuescope or somebody else had found a way to wrap Dual Stream into a format devices could decode fully.
Off topic: latest releases of DVD fab claim to mixing TrueHD into mp4 AND achieving playback via e-arc.
I don’t have an AVR capable of e-arc or the money for a Diva, anybody been able to try this? Is this where Youscope and others that where originally working on this project disappeared too, working for DVDfab?
Yeah that's my impression of how it worked as well. I saw the demonstration video and thought it looked promising, but my Spanish is elementary at best so I didn't read too much into the thread on people's actual experiences.

As for TrueHD and mp4, even if DVDFab is able do it, you're still missing a device that can properly decode both DL DV and TrueHD. Even though the non-X generation LG OLEDS can play DL DV, its internal player cannot decode TrueHD so having eARC is moot there. Maybe the Oppo can do it, but I don't know how much better this is than just playing the full folder backups.
elmox

Post by elmox »

Goodmorning everyone. I have been following the Thread for some time and I am using the GAMMA version of yusesope's tool with satisfaction.
I thank yusesope for his commitment and his ideas.
In this regard, I quote an old post of his:
yusesope wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:16 am
You just gave me an idea.
Instead of using a simple USB device, why not build a SMART USB device!

The new Raspberry pi 4 (like the old models A, A+ and Pi Zero) implements a USB (Type-C) On-The-Go (OTG. Official info HERE). It would thus be possible to connect devices that do not have the ability to use network protocols directly to a NAS/Server (Samba, NFS, etc...).
Another advantage could be that you don't have to wait two weeks before data transfer it's over (mechanical Hard Disk, slow USB 3.0 Transfer, etc...).
Some devices also do not allow playback of certain video/audio formats over DLNA; others may present bugs.

More information HERE and HERE (post number 10 is enlightening) in case anyone's interested.

I wish you all a good day!
A year later, someone else came up with the same idea (but using a PlayStaion 3 instead of a BD player).
The procedure involves sharing files via the iSCSI protocol (available on most NAS, Linux PC, Windows Server PC, etc ...)

https://matt.olan.me/making-a-piscsi-usb-drive-part-1/
https://matt.olan.me/making-a-piscsi-usb-drive-part-2/

I haven't tried it (I don't own a Raspberry Pi 4) but if it works it would be great for Sony X700 owners.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 am
I have a few more questions:
-what is the usb port on the x700? Is it usb 3.0? For high bitrate movies, is there any problem (e.g. stuttering, freezing) playing the dolby vision m2ts file straight from the external hdd connected to the x700? Gemini Man in 4k 60fps dolby vision is an example. That file stutters like hell on my c9, but probably that's because the c9's chip is not powerful enough, not because of the usb speed.
-why do you need the Shield when you have a powerful pc and the x700 that can play everything I wonder?
USB 2.0 only but it's more than enough speed..... I watched tons of DV movie on the x700 and never experienced any problem. Gemini Man 60fps included. Some longer movies cannot be Fast Forward but not a big issue to me.

I bought a Shield on day 1 because I wanted Atmos (lossy) support on Netflix, Disney. Plus back then, I had no idea what fel or mel was. Also, I really like Movies Anywhere app (close quality to bluray) and hate Apple.
Turns out, the lack of frame-rate-match annoys me enough to still use my x700 for Netflix lol . tried the beta app but it caused occasional stutter. So I only use my shield for MA... PC can't play DV.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:06 am
Well if you don't really care about color accuracy and having the best image possible, then no it's not a big issue.
IMO, I don't spend thousands of dollars on equipments and calibration just to have a device that ruins it all.

XTrojan wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:10 am

I see, is it guaranteed though that the Shield will never support FEL, fix the red tint issue and start supporting all DV profiles?
FEL support on the Shield is very unlikely and probably impossible because of hardware limitations.