Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

lexyz wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:33 am
I would like to add some info reagarding LLDV mode. Turns out there is a bug in Dolby SDK for all UHD Blu-ray players (and oppoclones as well)
This bug leads to noticable picture quality loss in LLDV mode like muted colors, limited brightness and various artefacts.
Probably you already familiar with this video by HDTVtest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_a77zJTrO4
Sadly Vincent Theo is wrong in conlusion. Difference caused not by additional data from TV but by a bug in Dolby SDK

Shield TV and FireStick and probably any other DV capable device (exept UHD Blu-ray player) are free from this bug

So yeah... fellow Bravia owners there is not so many options for us to enjoy DV besides streaming :D

X700/Oppo/Panny - FEL is used, dimness, bugged picture
Shield TV - FEL is ignored, red push
Fire TV Stick - FEL is unplayable, low specs for UHD backups

Is Zidoo the only viable option for now?
The Zidoo doesn’t support FEL either as far as I know
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:03 am
Regarding the red push, where are you still seeing it on? I know it's still there for p7 DV rips, but I was under the impression that it was fixed for streaming content when they removed the BT2020 tag from the RGB signal. I haven't looked too closely or really cared to honestly, but curious to what you're still seeing.
yes, I was talking about the DV rip from uhd-bd, I checked the Dr. Sleep sample quickly after the update.
In fact, any DV file that is not genuine profile 5 from the streaming services has the red push issue. (p7 p8 p4)
P5 playback on the Shield is not as color accurate as my x700 / C8 but the difference is negligible: I don't think I would notice a difference without the picture comparisons.
I almost never use my Shield though, I prefer my x700 for Netflix and Amazon because of the frame rate match. I know there's a couple of people on the Nvidia forum that says they're seeing issues with p5 as well. I know there are no red artifacts on Dr. Sleep Movies Anywhere / shield.
daicon

Post by daicon »

lexyz wrote:
I would like to add some info reagarding LLDV mode. Turns out there is a bug in Dolby SDK for all UHD Blu-ray players (and oppoclones as well)
This bug leads to noticable picture quality loss in LLDV mode like muted colors, limited brightness and various artefacts.
Probably you already familiar with this video by HDTVtest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_a77zJTrO4
Sadly Vincent Theo is wrong in conlusion. Difference caused not by additional data from TV but by a bug in Dolby SDK

Shield TV and FireStick and probably any other DV capable device (exept UHD Blu-ray player) are free from this bug

So yeah... fellow Bravia owners there is not so many options for us to enjoy DV besides streaming :D

X700/Oppo/Panny - FEL is used, dimness, bugged picture
Shield TV - FEL is ignored, red push
Fire TV Stick - FEL is unplayable, low specs for UHD backups

Is Zidoo the only viable option for now?
Where does the information in the SDK come from?

If it is finally so, I understand that the SDK, Oppo and similar players will get an update to fix it, won't they?
Can you put test images?

thanks
glc650

Post by glc650 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:53 am
Here's a way of finding out if your playback device is processing the FEL or not.

FEL DT-DL sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PszHwO ... sp=sharing
FEL ST-DL sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1caOej3 ... sp=sharing
P8 SL RPU sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNW6gE ... sp=sharing
Which movie is this from?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

glc650 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:40 pm
BL is Olympus has fallen and EL is Leon the professional
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:

yep, just sell that TV and get an LG lol.
Even Dolby recommends to the colorist the LG C7 or newer for previewing.

https://dolby.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/# ... 1D2vuoxiW4

agneva

Post by agneva »

yes, when switching from HDR10 to DV, my LG gets from YCbCr 12bit to RGB 8bit (LG UBK90 <-> LG OLED CX9LA), first time I´ve seen this I wondered.
the method Dolby Vision (DV) uses to transport the signal over HDMI is referred to as “RGB Tunneling”. The 12-bit ICtCp DV signal + Metadata is encapsulated inside the regular RGB 8-bit video signal. The DV “tunneling” carries 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data in an RGB 4:4:4 8-bit transport. This is possible because both signal formats have the same 8.9 Gbps data rate requirements.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

Thank you agneva for the tests. But I asked specifically for FEL vs FEL-to-MEL converted titles. But after reading the above discussion, I guess there won't be much difference between plain HDR and MEL titles. It's such a shame that I need to get another external device to enjoy DV even after having best TV(CX) and best streaming device (shield pro) :(
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm
glc650 wrote:
. Bc
Would (none LLDV) Blu-ray players plays on the Sony?
Vertex2 in the equation.
Here is another up date I also have 2 Philips Blu-ray 4K players 1 doblyvision 1 is not.
And with doblyvision on LLDV for a none LLDV player plays the FEL in hdr10 bl over bl layer what the hell. How is that possible?
It’s also utilizing the Rpu as welll.
Sample file/reset9999 & Lexyz gladiator fel sample displays fel & Rpu over base layer in hdr10. On none LLDV doblyvision player.
Will do a capture for comparison.
So u guys can add Philips 4K uhd doblyvision player to the list plays mp4 rips dl & muxed sl dv.
But no LLDV ability
As u can see from the photo fel is being played Along with the hdr10 when in LLDV mode. Player can’t play LLDV
So in that case who’s decoding the fel the tv or the uhd player?
Attachments
Hdr10 using the fel Phillips 4K uhd dv player
Hdr10 using the fel Phillips 4K uhd dv player
26BE5968-2C8B-4122-B5E0-1658C422D73A.jpeg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 24112 times
Hdr10 using the fel
Hdr10 using the fel
6AFDEF2F-64BF-4AD1-A9B7-F7512E84908C.jpeg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 24112 times
Last edited by Manixx2020beyound on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm
glc650 wrote:
I can confirm my X800M2 plays P7 FEL (I can see the artifacts with FEL DT-DL sample). I had to get close to really see the artifacts, though (my normal viewing distance is close to 15 ft so maybe that is why).
glc650

Post by glc650 »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 pm
Would (none LLDV) Blu-ray players plays on the Sony?
My guess is no but I have yet to use a source that does not support LLDV. My TV is the XBR75Z9F which only does LLDV. I currently use a Sony X800M2 and Roku Ultra (2020) as my external DV sources. My only other external source is a HTPC w/madVR (HDR10 only). I have also used an Oppo 203, Sony X700, FireTV 4K Stick and Apple TV 4K on this TV at some point in the last year and all played back (LLDV) DV just fine (of course only streaming profiles on the ATV and FTV).
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:10 pm
Not an option. I like Sony's motion handling and HDR10 8)
New 2021 Bravias will support TV-led DV
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

daicon wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm
Where does the information in the SDK come from?

If it is finally so, I understand that the SDK, Oppo and similar players will get an update to fix it, won't they?
Can you put test images?

thanks
SDK is Dolby's domain.
If Dolby unwilling to fix it then all UHD playes are doomed to output crippled picture in LLDV mode

I belive I've shared images before, but here they are https://slow.pics/c/SHnEtyql
There is 4 sets of 4 pictures:
X700 HDR
X700 DVp7 DTDL DV
X700 DVp8 DV
Shield DVp8 DV
Also the X700 DV LLDV version shows more pasteurization and artifacts, but they are very difficult to capture on camera.

And there is a message from Stacey Spears on blu-ray.com forum about bug in UHD blu-ray players https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=333
He is a co-creator of demo material I use for test. No one knows better what it should look like.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

lexyz wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:10 pm
Not an option. I like Sony's motion handling and HDR10 8)
New 2021 Bravias will support TV-led DV
You can change the tone curve and roll off in the LG to mimick the Sony with Calman, check the Calman forums on Avsforum.
HDR10 on my C9 looks really good, I don’t even use active processing with it.
Wanderlust3K

Post by Wanderlust3K »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:53 am
Here's a way of finding out if your playback device is processing the FEL or not.

FEL DT-DL sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PszHwO ... sp=sharing
FEL ST-DL sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1caOej3 ... sp=sharing
P8 SL RPU sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fNW6gE ... sp=sharing

These files are a mix of a BL and a random FEL track. This make the FEL data visible on top of the BL when played in DV so it easily tells us if the player just ignores the EL or if it actually use it. The P8 SL sample also has the same random RPU metadata.
On a CX (firmware 3.21.16) Plex internal app.

FEL DTDL plays as DV but SUPER DARK, NO EL.
FEL STDL plays as HDR, NO EL (obviously since played as HDR)
P8 SL-RPU plays as DV, brigth looks rigth, NO EL (its not there i know)

Regreting so much of having sold my old C7 to buy a CX....