New to Blu Ray, trying to view on MythTV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
pyite

New to Blu Ray, trying to view on MythTV

#1 Post by pyite » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Please forgive me if this is a n00b question, but I am trying to get Blu Ray working with MythTV. It looks like the rip/encode part will work with makemkv; however, in order to play discs real-time with menus I seem to need a file that as recently as September 2010 was located at http://www.makemkv.com/svq/allcombo.svq

Two questions:

1) Where can I get a copy of this file

2) Is this method (libbdplus) still the best way to play Blu Ray movies? MythTV is the only player that seems to be usable with VDPAU.

Thanks

theophile

Re: New to Blu Ray, trying to view on MythTV

#2 Post by theophile » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

I can't help you with MythTV, but I can tell you that XBMC, Boxee, mplayer, and Xine all work great with VDPAU. There's even a fantastic makemkv plugin for XBMC.

mike admin

#3 Post by mike admin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 am

Latest version of MakeMKV should process most discs without the need of SVQ file. For very few it'll download them automatically.

knobbi

#4 Post by knobbi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 am

I hacked around a script I found on this site which played the live stream.
I should have left the original authour's details in the comments, but I didn't. My apologies to them.

Code: Select all

!/bin/bash

cat /home/knobbi/Bin/blueray_please_wait.png > /dev/null
qiv /home/knobbi/Bin/blueray_please_wait.png &

# Make sure we're not already decoding a disc.
killall makemkvcon

# Start streaming the first Blu-ray drive we find.
makemkvcon --minlength=4200 --upnp=1 --cache=128 stream disc:0 &
sleep 16

ADDRESS=192.168.1.20:51001

# Wait for the streaming server to be ready.
RESULT=1
COUNT=0
while [ $RESULT != 0 ]; do
    wget http://$ADDRESS -O /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    RESULT=$?
    if [ $RESULT != 0 ]; then
        # Handle timeouts so we don't leave orphan makemkvcon tasks running.
        COUNT=$(( $COUNT + 1 ))
        if [ $COUNT == 60 ]; then
            echo ""
            echo "$0: Timeout - ABORTING"
            killall makemkvcon
            killall qiv
            exit 1
        else
            echo "$0: Waiting for the UPnP Server to go live ... $COUNT ($RESULT)"
            sleep 1
        fi
    fi
done

# Tell VLC to play the first title of the disc.
echo ""
echo "$0: Starting VLC ..."
vlc --video-on-top --spdif --audio-language en --sub-language en --fullscreen -I dummy  http://$ADDRESS/stream/title0.m2ts vlc://quit

# Shut down MakeMKV after VLC closes.
killall makemkvcon
killall qiv
The "blueray_please_wait.png" is just an image saying to wait. Make your own, or comment it out.

You want a fairly grunty box to do it though.
MythTV 0.24 has better support for BluRay, but not playback.

Swegononego

#5 Post by Swegononego » Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi,

I just bought Makemkv (1.6.9) because my trial time was up. I've setting up a Mythbuntu 10.10 (64bit) HTPC frontend in my living room that lets me watch tv and other media from a server (backend). I've been trying to watch Blurays on this pc for a while (on my free time which is rare with the newborn!) I've used a script similar to yours and the Bluray starts to play but it lags and I see many artifacts (after a few minutes it freezes). I've been playing downloaded 1080p mkvs just fine.

I have a Asus AT3IONT-I board/mobo combo (atom 1.6 and ion GPU). I've set the memory for the GPU to 512m (leaving 1.5g for the rest of the system). I even overcloaked the cpu by 10% (max that works with auto settings in bios) in an attempt to give more juice to the decrypting. I've tried with VLC and Smplayer both with VDPAU enabled and different video buffer settings but I still get the same problem. Bluray is Harry Potter, Deathly Hallow part1 and Piche entre Ciel et Terre (French Canadian movie). Is this PC too weak to decrypt Bluray in realtime? I also increased the --cache=128 to 512 and 1024, are there any other lines I can add to the script to help with decryption?

By the way, the part of the script that supposed to wait for the UPnP did'nt work for me, it would just start the player and the player would say no stream found or something. I commented it out and put "sleep 90" instead.

Marla

#6 Post by Marla » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 am

Thanks a lot for this script! I have it installed and it is working great! I can now watch Blue Rays through my LED monitor and flat speakers. The picture and sound is utterly amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this code. It has been quite helpful!