Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Everything related to MakeMKV
fruitMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Post by fruitMan »

I have a LG WH16NS40 that is no longer working with 4K and UHD disks.

All 4K disks come show an error in MakeMKV:

"The volume key is unknown for this disk - video can't be decrypted."
"Failed to open disk"

It has been working fine with 4K's in the past. It works well now with Blu-rays. I have recently updated the registration key in MakeMKV. I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm supposed to do. I appreciate the help.
Woodstock
Posts: 10977
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Post by Woodstock »

What does your debug log say about downloading the latest HK file?
fruitMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Re: Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Post by fruitMan »

hi @woodstock thanks for the reply.

i'm attaching the log.

Is this what you need to see?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodstock
Posts: 10977
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, that's where the download of the keys file would be logged, but there is no indication it tried.

In Preferences->General, do you have "Allow contacting web server for updates" checked?
fruitMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 pm

Re: Drive stopped working with 4K / UHD disks

Post by fruitMan »

I did not have that checked :roll:

Must have opted out of that on install.

Thanks much and have a wonderful day.