Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bjaurelio

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by bjaurelio »

My discs arrived today even though yesterday Amazon said they would be delivered tomorrow. I've just started on Fellowship. I'm only backing up the extended versions. I will try the two parts in a single folder to see how that works with Plex. I can't wait to watch these movies!
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

bjaurelio wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:43 pm
I can't wait to watch these movies!
Same, I watched them a few months ago with my daughter, before the 4Ks were announced and I was bummed that it seemed like WB didn't care enough to give them a UHD release and we were going to be be stuck with 1080p forever. And after watching so many great 4K + HDR releases in the meantime it seemed like the LOTR image was honestly not that good looking, which made me even more depressed.

Then the 4Ks were announced and I couldn't believe it. Word is they look amazing so I can't wait! C'mon Amazon!
austinalex23

Post by austinalex23 »

Lucky me, I am unable to access any of the Extended Edition discs :D
A.RABID.BUFFALO

Post by A.RABID.BUFFALO »

Is anyone else having issues with the discs? Ripped the extended version of Hobbit Unexpected Journey and then moved on the Desolation of Smaug. Got half way through and failed. After ejecting the disc it no longer shows up and makemkv says no disc in drive. Swapping discs out for Resident Evil 4K and they show up.
sonnumber5

Post by sonnumber5 »

My Fellowship Extended Part 1 disc seems to have some kind of defect preventing read past the first 160MB on disc. Nothing visible to my eye. Hobbit 1-3 ripped fine, Two Towers is fine so far. Frustrating.
Gojira74

Post by Gojira74 »

Anyone else still not being allowed to rip TTT standard version disc? I see a couple people mention it. I've never done a "dump" before and am not sure how to.
marticus24

Post by marticus24 »

Obl918 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:28 pm
Anybody else getting MEDIUM ERRORS right out of the box on any of their discs?
Yes - multiple attempts on first disc of extended ed. of Fellowship. Gets to same spot then bombs with:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' at offset '381548544'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '381548544'

If this were a decryption issue, wouldn't the errors be different?
spaced

Post by spaced »

Finishing up ripping the extended versions. The - part1, - part2 tag for Plex doesn't seem to work right now for me, only sees part 1, figuring that out but my main issue is bandwidth.

Player is plex via 2019 Shield wired, server is Qnap Plex NAS over dual 1Gb Aggregated NICs (I know this doesn't double my bandwidth but noting it anyway), 24TB ironwolf 8TB drives, no ssd cache. CAX80 modem/router. DV kicks in fine, picture is stellar, Atmos is lovely but when I check the info panel, the bitrate is 80+ Mb/s! That's the most I've ever seen so far. When I play back, I will get stuttering here and there, enough to notice it especially in the spanning wide shots, so I am wondering who else may be seeing this or am I doing something wrong? Literally looks like frame drops due to buffering. Using rips from 1.15.3 direct with no remuxing. Plex is using Direct Play. I want to note no other 4k UHD rip suffers from this with or without DV.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Gojira74 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 pm
I've never done a "dump" before and am not sure how to.
Please see the stickied FAQ. The dump will be automatically created when you try to open the disc, and the location of the dump will be listed in the log window.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

spaced wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 am
Finishing up ripping the extended versions. The - part1, - part2 tag for Plex doesn't seem to work right now for me, only sees part 1, figuring that out but my main issue is bandwidth.

Player is plex via 2019 Shield wired, server is Qnap Plex NAS over dual 1Gb Aggregated NICs (I know this doesn't double my bandwidth but noting it anyway), 24TB ironwolf 8TB drives, no ssd cache. CAX80 modem/router. DV kicks in fine, picture is stellar, Atmos is lovely but when I check the info panel, the bitrate is 80+ Mb/s! That's the most I've ever seen so far. When I play back, I will get stuttering here and there, enough to notice it especially in the spanning wide shots, so I am wondering who else may be seeing this or am I doing something wrong? Literally looks like frame drops due to buffering. Using rips from 1.15.3 direct with no remuxing. Plex is using Direct Play. I want to note no other 4k UHD rip suffers from this with or without DV.
This is on the Shield Pro? And does it always choke on the same scenes? I don't have LOTR yet but I did watch Gemini Man from start to finish without issues and that movie was a beast with bitrate (~90Mb/s avg) as well. If the Shield can handle Gemini Man without issues, then theoretically it shouldn't run into issues with any other movies.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

I was ripping these just fine until I got to The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition. I put the disc in and the drive spun up and sounded funny. It then slowed to a crawl trying to open the disc before eventually crapping out with: "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00' at offset '145031168'".

What has me worried is that my UHD Drive now won't read ANY discs.

<edited-out needless stuff. left in READ THE FAQ initial stuff>
Last edited by Jdurg on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

spaced wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 am
Here's the docs from Plex about naming: https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming ... les/#toc-2

I don't know if spaces and capitalization really matter, but I named mine just like in their docs: folder name contains the movie title and year, each individual MKV file contains the exact same movie title and year, and then (space)-(space)part1.mkv

If you go to the detail page for the movie it should show the full length (both parts combined). But, when you start the movie the progress bar and time remaining will only show for the first part. Once it gets to the end it should automatically start the second and then the progress bar/time remaining will now show how far you are into the second part.
preserve

Post by preserve »

marticus24 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 am
MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' at offset '381548544'
Please see the stickied FAQ. That’s a read error of the drive reading data off the disc. This has been a common issue with UHD discs. Try cleaning the disc.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Floribraska

Post by Floribraska »

Obl918 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:28 pm
Anybody else getting MEDIUM ERRORS right out of the box on any of their discs?
Yes. Fellowship Extended Disc 1 - It gets about 45% through the main title for me before tanking. I've tried 5 different times with various cleaning, etc. of the disc as well as voodoo attempts such as inverting the PC. I also tried a backup. The backup ended up reporting mismatches against the hash. I increased my read retry from 20 to 99 and that actually helped a bit, but it eventually gives up further in.

It seems there are some serious manufacturing issues of the discs as well as packaging (missing discs? that's terrible). What's worst of all is that it appears the first run may be sold out from the big sellers like Amazon and Best Buy. I immediately went for a return/replacement, but there are no replacements to be had. Since I have no alternative to view the discs, I'm out of luck until Amazon restocks.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Jdurg wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 am
I was ripping these just fine until I got to The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition. I put the disc in and the drive spun up and sounded funny. It then slowed to a crawl trying to open the disc before eventually crapping out with: "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00' at offset '145031168'".

What has me worried is that my UHD Drive now won't read ANY discs. Is it possible there's some copy protection on these things that is damaging hardware if one tries to rip a disc?
No, don't go jumping to conclusions. We had these same problems with GoT. There seems to be some weird LibreDrive thing going on where these drives just stop reading discs after a while. Power cycle the drive, then put DIFFERENT media types in the drive until it starts reading discs again (dvd, blu-ray, whatever). That'll get you going again.