SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

2013 is before UHD discs hit the market. Therefore, your drive does not have the newer MT1959 platform and will never be flashable nor UHD-compatible. You can (and probably should) still keep it for regular Blu-ray discs as long as it works.
demariners
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by demariners »

Hey there, I have gone through your SD flasher tool for my drive and no success. I was able to flash it to 1.03 with no issues but now it just simply will not go to 1.02. I followed your directions exactly about flashing it to 1.03, then recovery on 1.03, then back to 1.02 or even 1.0. I have tried all the different .bins also.

I have a LG BP50NB40. Currently the tray will also no longer open. It keeps seeing it as 1.03. Any other things I can try. It just STAYS on 1.03 no matter what. Attached photos. Maybe I am missing something.

https://1drv.ms/i/c/fe841a02f6a60dc3/IQ ... M?e=GUdNS4
https://1drv.ms/i/c/fe841a02f6a60dc3/IQ ... E?e=cstqwj
Last edited by demariners on Mon Aug 31, 2026 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

Currently the tray will also no longer open.
The bad news is that this is quite bad. The good news is that we may still be able to save your drive.

Please do not use forum attachments, they are disabled right now. Upload the pictures somewhere else and link to them, please. (EDIT : Nevermind, you've already edited your post.)

What is the SVC code for your drive, if I may ask ? From the looks of it, it looks like you may have flashed an SVC NB40 drive.
Last edited by Sayaka on Mon Aug 31, 2026 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demariners
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by demariners »

Yea I was trying to get the attachements to work.

From MakeMKV.

OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: MD7G6DA2521
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:17
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 82

LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

What is the SVC code for your drive, if I may ask ? From the looks of it, it looks like you may have flashed an SVC NB40 drive.
Please reply to this question, it is important. You can find the SVC code at the bottom of your drive. :wink: Also unplug your drive ASAP, please, until we recover it. If the tray no longer opens, it means something bad is going on, and we wouldn't want to damage the drive by leaving it powered on any longer than we absolutely have to.
demariners
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by demariners »

Sorry I did not know what SVC means, now that you explained it to me.

SVC: NB40
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

You flashed a drive that can never be flashed to do UHD reading.

You need to download this :

https://mega.nz/file/mnwHlbbS#mphALHyxo ... j37GAxoxLU

And RECOVER with the BP50NB40 1.03 firmware in the first pop-up window (WRONG firmware - firmware to replace), then in the drop-down menu you have to use the firmware that's inside the zip file I linked to (CORRECT firmware - firmware to flash). Then START the flash.

If it fails, and it does fail sometimes, let me know and we'll do it with the command line.
demariners
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by demariners »

K, it it back to normal. Now, how do I upgrade it to whatever firmware I need to do?

I understand now HOW the recovery process works. I did not realize the first pop up you choose the "bad" firmware.
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

Now, how do I upgrade it to whatever firmware I need to do?
Please do not "upgrade" this drive's firmware, ever. You can't. SVC NB40 drives shouldn't be flashed.
demariners
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by demariners »

So what you are saying is that this drive can not be UHD even though it is on the supported list? Maybe I am a bit confused. The list is difficult to understand.
Sayaka
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2026 3:00 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Sayaka »

See Billycar's guide :
Billycar11 wrote:LG only on label for NB drives NB50+
Several conditions have to be met for the drive to be flashable, not just the drive model or the MT1959 platform. Your current drive cannot be flashed. If you're looking for a cheap (sort of) drive that's very similar to yours and can probably do UHD, I may be able to help. I can send you a Private Message if you want.

EDIT : PM sent.
eexxoo
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2026 7:50 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by eexxoo »

Sayaka wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2026 8:07 pm 2013 is before UHD discs hit the market. Therefore, your drive does not have the newer MT1959 platform and will never be flashable nor UHD-compatible. You can (and probably should) still keep it for regular Blu-ray discs as long as it works.
Thanks I will keep it as a backup for BR then!
dskagcommunity
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2026 11:23 am

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by dskagcommunity »

hi all!

I bough a new BR drive cos i want some 4k UHD of my favorite Films ever in my library as digital ones and my old one cant handle them. So it was quite expensive just to see, even with positive comments of buyers for 4k UHD disks, it cant read my newest Disc. All data firmware/type/flashstatus for the drive you can see above in the attachments. I downflashed it to recommended 1.03. But it still brings an error for this 4k Disc (its my first one so i dont have another to try).

Is there anything left i can try? :(

Thx for any help about it. Anyway thanks for this great pieces of software witch always helped me out, but not this time :(
Billycar11
Posts: 6264
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by Billycar11 »

dskagcommunity wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2026 12:05 pm hi all!

I bough a new BR drive cos i want some 4k UHD of my favorite Films ever in my library as digital ones and my old one cant handle them. So it was quite expensive just to see, even with positive comments of buyers for 4k UHD disks, it cant read my newest Disc. All data firmware/type/flashstatus for the drive you can see above in the attachments. I downflashed it to recommended 1.03. But it still brings an error for this 4k Disc (its my first one so i dont have another to try).

Is there anything left i can try? :(

Thx for any help about it. Anyway thanks for this great pieces of software witch always helped me out, but not this time :(
Post the error log in plain text along with your drive info
That way we can help troubleshoot
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
pmar4015
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2026 9:21 pm

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by pmar4015 »

I have tried several time but alas the flasher tool does not recognize the appropriate UHD drive. What is interesting is the MakeMKV application recognizes the drive and Windows Device Manager as well but some reason the SDFlasher tool (version 1.3.6) does not. I tried version 1.3.5 as well but still with no success.

At first I thought the problem may reside in the fact I am using Windows 11 on my Mac Mini via Parallels (and yes I am using an esata/usb connection directly connected to the Mac Mini) but when I tried using my son's Laptop PC (fully updated as of 9.23.2026 Windows 11 OS) the issues remained unchanged. I have attached various applicable screenshots that I hope will provide more insight into the matter. In any event, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated (and please let me know what additional information is needed).

Many thanks,

PS. I will send remaining attachments via separate post