Patterns of Evidence - Exodus

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
bk7777

Patterns of Evidence - Exodus

Post by bk7777 »

Patterns of Evidence - Exodus is a theater released documentary. Here is the initial few lines from the reading of the blu-ray:

MakeMKV v1.9.3 linux(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
File 01010.mpls was added as title #0
File 01011.mpls was added as title #1

While there are no errors when creating the mkv files. Playback is another story. Never had a blu-ray do this before. When playing the newly created .mkv files and there is any movement at all, the picture jerks at a consistant rate I would say average of once per second. It's almost like it is missing frames. When changing scenes via fade out and in the blocky boxes are huge and there are many. I have always had some of these only in dark scenes where there is nothing but shadows. I should say that is the only place I have noticed them.

The blu-ray plays fine in a blu-ray player but makemkv does not seem to be able to make a good copy of it. No problems with audio

The only thing I can think of is this due to the fact that the Blu-ray is not encrypted since there is no AACS directory? Is makemkv running decryption when it is not needed and loosing data?

What else can I provide?

Thanks,
Brian
Woodstock

Re: Patterns of Evidence - Exodus

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely your playback software is having problems with the video. What are you using?

If there is no AACS directory and no copy protection, MakeMKV just copies the video to the MKV file.

If that video has an odd frame rate, the player has to correct for it. BDs are usually recorded at 24 frames per second, but they CAN be at other frame rates.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bk7777

Post by bk7777 »

I am using VLC under Linux. Been using it for years and never had a problem with it. Tried the video on 3 different computers all Linux same results.

I also tried the default out of the box player called videos and it does the same thing.

Should I cut is again and hard set the frame rate? If so which NTSC setting should I use the one for film or videos?

Thanks,
Brian
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I suspect a second rip would be the same as the first. You aren't going to be able to change the frame rate without reencoding the file.

It would be interesting to run the MKV file through handbrake (handbrake.fr) to see if it finds any weirdness in the file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bk7777

Post by bk7777 »

Woodstock, I had already run the mkv file through handbreak and it processed everything normally. Still the same playback results.

Now what you said earlier about the player made me start thinking of another test.

Since the blu-ray is not encrypted I directly copied the *.m2ts file containing the movie to the hard drive and it plays the same as ripped mkv file.

So I went further. While I did my testing with more than one computer and they all act as if frames are missing at different degrees. Now I am beginning to wonder if it's video driver related because they are all running Mint 17 / Ubuntu 14.04 / Linux.

This has not been a problem before but maybe one of the many updates has cause some problem. All the systems are I7 processors with beefy video cards nvidia and intel.

I am going to continue to play but thanks for the ideas. Will likely have to take this to the Mint / Ubuntu forums.

Thanks,
Brian