Hard coded subtitles query and issue on 'The Mummy' BluRay

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
shark bait 84

Hard coded subtitles query and issue on 'The Mummy' BluRay

Post by shark bait 84 »

Hiya, new to this site so I suppose the issue I'm gonna mention has been brought up before but can't find the best or relevant page related to it.

When I rip a Blu Ray with 'text only' subtitles (ie: subtitles that only appear when foreign language or on-screen foreign text shows on screen) I select the EXACT subtitle track I know to be the correct one in the file options (by selecting both the subtitle option AND forced option) then rip. But when I watch the MKV after, the subtitles don't appear.
I'm currently trying this with Rise of the Planet of the Apes - there are two or three scenes where the apes Caesar and Maurice communicate with sign language with subtitles accompanying their dialogue - when I ripped it, the subtitles weren't there.
Anything I'm doing wrong?

Also, with The Mummy, there is - for some reason - over 60 subtitle options on this disc. When is the disc is decrypted, it only picks up the first 30 or so options, and the subtitle track I need is number 63 or somewhere in the high numbers. I have this exact same issue on this disc when using Pavtube too.

Any advice on how to deal with these two issues?
Woodstock

Re: Hard coded subtitles query and issue on 'The Mummy' BluR

Post by Woodstock »

As I say every time this subject comes up, "Welcome to the world of subtitles!"

There are competing practices for subtitles:

1. One track with everything for a given language, but some tagged as "forced".

2. Multiple tracks for a given language, one containing just the "forced" subtitles, which are not marked as such, and may or may not be tagged as "default".

3. Everything else.

The "forced" flag in MakeMKV is an attempt to separate out from type 1 the subtitles that are flagged as forced. But, in my experience, the second is the most popular way to master a disk.

How do I deal with it, when 95% of what I buy is anime? I have MakeMKV rip EVERYTHING, then view the result in VLC to chose the correct subtitle tracks and the order to put them in (many players always play the first subtitle track, no matter what is "flagged" as default), then use that information to have Handbrake (handbrake.fr) to construct the version that goes out on the media server.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shark bait 84

Post by shark bait 84 »

Nice advice.

I downloaded VLC Media, and after re-ripping Rise of the Planet of the Apes with the correct subtitle track, the sign language subtitles appeared where they should. Excellent.

Now the subtitles appear in VLC but not in Open Freely. When I compress this in Handbrake, what steps should I take to get the film I want intact?

Again, this is coming from someone who hasn't even yet used Handbrake.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you've identified the subtitle track, you CAN tell handbrake to "burn it in", which will make it always be there, no matter what the player software/hardware.
shark bait 84

Post by shark bait 84 »

The question regarding burning subtitles is understood....However.

The problem remains with the Mummy Blu Ray. Only the first 31 subtitle options appear but it doesn't pick up the remaining 30+ subtitle tracks. And it's around the 63rd/64th track that has the text subtitles I need to burn in the final rip.

Any suggestions still regarding this?
jdgtr7

Post by jdgtr7 »

shark bait 84 wrote:The question regarding burning subtitles is understood....However.

The problem remains with the Mummy Blu Ray. Only the first 31 subtitle options appear but it doesn't pick up the remaining 30+ subtitle tracks. And it's around the 63rd/64th track that has the text subtitles I need to burn in the final rip.

Any suggestions still regarding this?

Hi, I am having the same issue with The Mummy BD - it seems that the correct subtitle track is not showing up as an option. Did you ever find a solution to this?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it's an issue with the limitation on the number of subtitles when you get to handbrake, I think their nightly builds address that, but...

You could simply unselect all subtitle tracks MakeMKV sees that are not in your chosen language, reducing the number that appear in the output.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

The same probleme is here with "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns".

The movies actually contain forced subtitles, but that tracks cannot be ripped. Although ripping all english subtitle tracks none of them contains the forced ones.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Is there no way to rip The Mummy 1+2?

I can actually send debug information if required.

MakeMKV detects 2 english PGS tracks and 4 english TextST tracks.

Although ripping all 6 english subtitle tracks, the forced subs are not displayed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I cannot say, because I do not have these disks, but I do not remember them popping up on this forum for anything except this issue with the subtitles. The issue with handbrake and "too many subtitles" is a separate issue that Mike can't do anything about.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

I do not remember them popping up on this forum for anything except this issue with the subtitles
And was there a solution for the subtitle issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not that I've seen. Assuming you've got expert mode turned on, you can remove any subtitle tracks that aren't in your preferred language quite easily using a selection rule (although they can be a pain to compose "exactly right"), or by using manual selection, as discussed here: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405

Removing unwanted subtitles "fixes" the handbrake issue, but picking which one has the "forced" subtitles in it is pretty much a manual process if you want to be sure. Handbrake's "Foreign Audio Search" gets it right most of the time, but not always. And there is always the possibility that the forced subtitles are already burned into the video, in the "letterbox bars" that handbrake defaults to cropping.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Assuming you've got expert mode turned on, you can remove any subtitle tracks that aren't in your preferred language quite easily using a selection rule
But I can only remove selection, can't I? This won't lead to subtitle tracks above 30+ being selectable in MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hmmm... I thought the limitation of 32 subtitle tracks was handbrake's, not MakeMKV's...

If MakeMKV is not showing subtitles beyond 32, then I'd submit the information from the disk (FAQ link in my signature) to Mike at support@makemkv.com for him to look at it. He may ask you for more information.
titntin

Re: Hard coded subtitles query and issue on 'The Mummy' BluRay

Post by titntin »

I've just spent all day trying to get the correct subtitles for the foreign language bits in 'The Mummy' Blu Ray.

I have finally succeeded and just wished to share some of the things I learnt!

For some reason this file has about 60+ subtitles. My understanding is that the Blu ray format limits PGS sub files to 32 so the files after this are in TextST format, and this is what's causing many issues as very few programs can use TextST files.

As usual, MakeMKV does the job flawlessly and allows you to rip everything. If you want to simply select it all and rip - it will rip it all.

The subtitle file which you need for the foreign language sub titles (English text when they are speaking ancient Egyptian), is the last English subtitles on the disc (ensure you open the title in the MakeMKV listing so you can see all the sub titles) - I think is was no.53.

For my own use I only need the DTS soundtrack and the previously mentioned last english subtitles set so I deselected everything else (except the video) and made my MKV file.

I used MKVtoolnix with the gui and loaded the MKV I had just made. I then chose the subtitle file I wanted (easy in my case as I had only ripped the one I wanted) and saved this as a separate subtitle file.

At this point then I have the complete MKV rip of the title, and the separate subtitle file in TextST format.

I then installed and used the free 'Subtitle Edit' program, which is easy to get with a simple google search. I didn't even associate it with a video player when I launched it as I didn't need that functionality.
Chose 'open' and chose the separate TextST subtitle file we generated with MKVtoolnix.
Chose 'save as' as it should save the file now as an 'srt' file, which is what we want as most programs can use these files.

If MKV is your target, you should be able to mix this subtitle into your MKV now.

I tend to make m4v files with the H.265 codec in handbrake, so I loaded my MKV file into handbrake and set my encoding presets up as per normal. Under the 'Subtitles' header I've removed the default scan option and chose 'import subtitle' and choose the subtitle srt file we have just made. I burn my subtitles into the file, so I choose to tick the 'Burn in' option.
Start encode.

My M4v file plays in plex and now has perfectly timed subtitles when they are speaking Egyptian - thank god!

I've seen no end of questions on the web about why this film doesn't have these sub titles, so I hope this post helps someone who has a similar problem.