Makemkv produces corrupted mkvs (sometimes)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mango

Makemkv produces corrupted mkvs (sometimes)

Post by Mango »

I ripped 2 blu-rays that produced broken mkvs (this is the first time this happens).

- Rise of the Guardians
- Wreck-It Ralph

Version used: Makemkv 1.8.0 on Linux.
Media used: ISO file loaded into Makemkv. (so this is not a blu-ray reading failure).

Problem:

1. media players stop playing at some point.

2. mkvmerge can't remux the mkv, it starts showing this message several times at different positions and then finally doesn't continue, the message is always the same:

Code: Select all

A block group was found at position xxxxxxxxxx, but no block element was found inside it. This might make mkvmerge crash.
3. mkclean crashes after showing these messages:

Code: Select all

The EncryptedBlock element at 4565482376 is not part of profile 'matroska v2', skipping
The EncryptedBlock element at 4698274301 is not part of profile 'matroska v2', skipping
4. Loading the mkvs in Makemkv to remux them makes Makemkv hang at some point (i.ex: at 30%). It doesn't crash, and seems to continue working on the file (the MB/s processing speed continues going up and down a bit, but the output stops being written to the HD. After waiting for 10 minutes I click on the stop button and close it.

Thoughts:
There was a cover attachement on both discs. I selected in when muxing with Makemkv. I don't know it this was the problem, but this is the first time I add this cover attachement and now the mkvs are broken for the first time... coincidence?

edit: to test I just did another movie that also had a cover included, it worked fine (but this time I did it on Windows, will have to try on Linux as the 2 above had the issue on Linux).
Last edited by Mango on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Re: Makemkv produces corrupted mkvs (sometimes)

Post by setarip_old »

Try using the original disc (NO ISO) as your direct source...
Mango

Post by Mango »

setarip_old wrote:Try using the original disc (NO ISO) as your direct source...
I did it with the disc first and then saved the ISO to make sure it was not a disc reading issue.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I've had this issue before. Turned out to be a failed SATA cable causing the drive I was ripping to to damage the file as it wrote it to disc.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Mango

Post by Mango »

Ok, I just re-ripped "Rise of the Guardians" again with the exact same features, but this time on windows.

The mkv now works fine and I could also remux it completely with mkvmerge.

This of course needs some more testing, but so far it seems to be an issue that only exists with the Linux version of Makemkv (as it is working properly with the windows version).

@crowfax: of course you can never know with cables... but I don't think I'm having this issue as the server hosting the files I have used to rip the 2 movies with the Linux version is being hammered daily with reads and writes without any issues. And using the windows version of makemkv I am saving the files to the same HD.

Thanks for the feedback.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Are you saving to internal HD, external HD, or network drive?
Mango

Post by Mango »

mike admin wrote:Are you saving to internal HD, external HD, or network drive?
It's an internal HD which is part of a samba share (so a network drive) that includes only this 1 HD on a networked Linux server.

When I created the bad mkvs I was logged on this Linux server on the LAN with windows remote desktop, running Makemkv 1.8.0 for Linux on the server. This means, Makemkv Linux was locally executed on the server and the resulting mkvs were saved locally on the server. So you can call this a local operation on the Linux server. (I did this locally on the server so that the mkv muxing would be faster).

When I then created the mkv without errors, I did this with Makemkv 1.8.0 for windows on a windows 8 client that was saving the resulting mkv on the same samba share (=the same HD on the Linux server).

==> to sum up:
  • the local opertation on the Linux server produced bad mkvs. (with Makemkv Linux)
  • the remote networked operation on the LAN from windows to this same server HD produces good mkvs. (with Makemkv Windows)
ufoDziner

Post by ufoDziner »

Hello,
I'm using 1.8.1 on win8, and get a stuttering playback of several blu-ray movie mkv files including Rise of the Guardians. Any help is appreciated.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

What is your computer's CPU? What are you using to play the files with?

SC
ufoDziner

Post by ufoDziner »

It's an i7-2700, and I'm using VLC Player 2.0.6. Thanks
dizzie

Post by dizzie »

I'm on a dual core Intel iMac running OSX 10.5 and I can't seem to get past about the 590MB mark of Rise of the Guardians. When it would finally fail, the log showed a number of messages referencing posix errors, so I assume it is something in the C+ coding rather than the hardware, but who am I to say. I am still running 1.8.0 - is that perhaps a concern for this disc? It took quite a few minutes for makemkv to even prep the disc for ripping, and then another few to analyse seamless gaps or whatever.

Thanks very much to a great community and development team!
dizzie

Post by dizzie »

1.8.1 definitely got me a lot further but still failed. Here is the log:

Saving 1 titles into directory /Volumes/Storage
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '16047538176'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '16049240064'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '16049504256'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00800.m2ts' at offset '16049504256'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/Storage/Rise_of_the_Guardians_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed