David Gilmour: Remember That Night Blu-ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ezimmeth

David Gilmour: Remember That Night Blu-ray

Post by ezimmeth »

Can't seem to read the mkv file after ripping with MakeMKV on a Mac OS 10.8. Tried a second disk with the same results. It feels like there is another layer of encryption or something preventing play back. VLC crashes when attempting to play as does Handbrake when trying to re-processing the file. XBMC will "play" it but sound and video is scrambled.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
mike admin

Re: David Gilmour: Remember That Night Blu-ray

Post by mike admin »

Did you get any errors during conversion to MKV? Please try making a full disc backup and see if any errors show up. Overall, this sounds very unusual.
dcrob

Post by dcrob »

Same problem on this disc. I did a complete backup and encountered no errors. I had a similar problem on a couple files from Song Remains the Same. Never figured it out.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please send a test dump for the shortest title that has such scrambling artefacts, per instructions at /onlinehelp/testdump.html
dcrob

Post by dcrob »

Trying to submit a zip of the testdump file but site doesn't seem to want to accept. Have you permitted attachm,ents?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

depends upon the size of the attachment, really.

Best bet if you don't have your own server to upload to (kind of a convenience I enjoy) is to use one of the free "dropbox" services, and send Mike the link to the file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pwinger

Post by pwinger »

I'm experiencing some problems with backups & MKV rip of disc 1 of this collection. The video blocks temporarily at certain times during access with certain apps.

The disc itself plays fine with standalone BluRay player as well as Cyberlink PowerDVD on computer.
Using MakeMKV, the backups complete successfully. I have tested multiple decrypted backups & as well as an MKV rip, all are successful.
I can use Cyberlink PowerDVD on the resulting MKV file and it plays fine.
If I attempt to use VLC on either the backup folder structure or the MKV file, I consistently experience the blocking at the same times.
I have attempted to use both Handbrake and ffmpeg to convert to MP4, video blocking is in the resulting MP4 file.

One thing I noticed, I enabled OSD on PowerDVD during playback and I get an extended (2 to 3 secs) spike of video bitrate at these same times at 40+mb/s.

Is this situation common when using MakeMKV to backup bluray discs?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Common, no. What is causing it is difficult to say. If you know the times that they occur, were there any anomalies noted in that area in the handbrake logs?

The fact that you get different results with different players complicates things - which is the culprit, the player, or the file being played?
pwinger

Post by pwinger »

I have confirmed that the backup produced by MakeMKV plays successfully on PowerDVD, KMPlayer as well as WMP. It continues to have problems being played with VLC and converted by ffmpeg and Handbrake. I believe the problem is with the VC-1 codec used in the m2ts file. It looks like all 3 - vlc,ffmpeg & hb - appear to be based on ffmpeg libraries and will continue my search for a resolution at those support sites. Thanks for the help & comments.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Which versions of VLC and handbrake? Handbrake has had VC-1 and VC-1 Interlaced support since 0.10.x came out; the 0.9.x version didn't support it. And VLC has supported both since 2.1 came out, if I remember correctly.
pwinger

Post by pwinger »

Handbrake 0.10.5 64-bit
VLC 2.2.3 32 & 64-bit versions

They look okay for the most part, there just seems to be 1 or 2 short scenes in each chapter with artifacts. My OCD nature just won't let them go.

I first attributed the problems to network issues, then source media and now I'm looking at software applications.
Arndrell

Post by Arndrell »

Old post I know but did anyone find a fix for this?
Pulled this disc down last night and it plays fine sound wise but has serious blocking issues in most shots, proper psychedelic flashes of colour and artefacts..
MKV file direct play from a Synology 720+ NAS - ATV and also embedded TV App in two different Panasonic TV's, first time I have seen this kind of issue!

Thanks,
Obsessive compulsive ripper and collector since finding Make MKV!
Converting nearly 1,200 Blu Rays and UHD in 1:1 format to a Plex library serviced by Infuse.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you downloaded the file from somewhere on the internet, then who knows what someone did to it before you downloaded it.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/David-Gi ... u-ray/493/

The review of the blu-ray, however, is somewhat unkind. Some of the shots are full of noise and other artifacts. You might just be seeing the poor quality of some of the shots in the concert video.
Arndrell

Post by Arndrell »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:34 pm
If you downloaded the file from somewhere on the internet, then who knows what someone did to it before you downloaded it.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/David-Gi ... u-ray/493/

The review of the blu-ray, however, is somewhat unkind. Some of the shots are full of noise and other artifacts. You might just be seeing the poor quality of some of the shots in the concert video.
Sorry for the slow reply, notifications were off!
I think my post was misleading, this was a full rip from the original Blu-Ray using Make MKV - no post conversion etc..
I agree the the picture isn’t the best with this title even when played directly from my BR transport but the sound and music is top tier IMO this is serious computer blocking/artefact and I believe it’s something to do with interlacing (1080i) from searching the web.
I have recently switched over to Infuse due to having so many issues with Plex (Plex backend, Infuse Front now) and so far the experience has dramatically improved on ATV with all files that had issues now playing flawlessly with way better sound. however I will now revisit this title and report back so we can put it down to Plex messing with the file unnecessarily which seems to be be the major issue I have experienced in this journey so far!

Update:
Play flawlessly on Infuse, still broken on Plex
Obsessive compulsive ripper and collector since finding Make MKV!
Converting nearly 1,200 Blu Rays and UHD in 1:1 format to a Plex library serviced by Infuse.