Playback Pauses Often

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Len_Jacobson

Playback Pauses Often

Post by Len_Jacobson »

I recently used MakeMKV to create an image of the Blu-ray disc, "Funny Girl". When I played it on my Plex server, it paused often during the playback. I have never encountered playback problems with any other movie.

A friend suggested that the size of the created file, 37.1 GB, was extremely large and that could be the cause. But I don't see any way to create a smaller file.

And I ordered the sizes of all of my 129 movie files, and this one is the second largest. "Sound of Music" is the largest, at 40.0 GB, and it has no problem during playback. Of my 129 movie files, 123 are 7.5 GB in size or smaller.

Can anyone suggest a cause for the pauses during the playback of "Funny Girl"?

Any suggestions for correcting the problem?

Thank you.

Len Jacobson
dcoke22

Re: Playback Pauses Often

Post by dcoke22 »

Assuming you aren't transcoding your files with Handbrake or something similar, the files that are 7.5GB or smaller are probably ripped from DVDs. The other movies, including Funny Girl and The Sound of Music are rips from blu-rays, which are higher resolution and quite a bit bigger.

There's any number of reasons why playback from Plex might stutter. Plex might be trying to transcode the file so it can play back on your device and the server might not be fast enough to keep up.
Or, if not trying to transcode, maybe your network is not fast enough or stable enough to consistently transfer such large files. The more segments of your network that you can put on ethernet instead of wifi the better since ethernet typically has more consistent speeds and is less prone to interference.

The Plex forums are probably a better place to ask questions about Plex than here on the MakeMKV forums.
Len_Jacobson

Re: Playback Pauses Often

Post by Len_Jacobson »

dcoke22,

Thank you very much for your reply of three days ago, and informing me of the size of DVD vs. Blu-ray files. Makes sense.

My Dell XPS computer, which is my Plex server, is a five-year old high-end Windows 11 computer. I do NOT have an Ethernet connection in the room where the TV sits, but the Wi-Fi connection is quite strong: 114 Mbps download and 39.1 Mbps upload.

As you suggest, I will post this issue on the Plex Forum.

Again, thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Len Jacobson