4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
philp

4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch

Post by philp »

Brand new 4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch, seller wont accept a return ”as the disc should play properly on a Blu-Ray player”

I bought a brand new 4K Blu-Ray movie, but it keeps failing to rip the movie. I took a look a the disc under a bright light and there’s a tiny, but deep scratch on the disc, possibly because when the disc arrived, it was loose in the case. MakeMKV can backup the disc, but with a hash error.

I emailed the retailer about what’s the return/replacement process on this, I told them the disc has a scratch and ”when I scanned the disc it shows hash errors”. To this they responded with that they can’t help me if it shows an error on PC, as a dedicated player would still play it normally.

I think I just have to eat the costs of this and never buy from this retailer, but is this sitation still salvagable? Is there a way for me to find out which track the scratch happens on, so I could just deselect it from MakeMKV? MakeMKV says at least some errors happen while reading /BDMV/STREAM/00002.m2ts, but I have no idea how to find which audio/subtitle/video track is.
MartyMcNuts

Re: 4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch

Post by MartyMcNuts »

philp wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:27 am
Brand new 4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch, seller wont accept a return ”as the disc should play properly on a Blu-Ray player”

I bought a brand new 4K Blu-Ray movie, but it keeps failing to rip the movie. I took a look a the disc under a bright light and there’s a tiny, but deep scratch on the disc, possibly because when the disc arrived, it was loose in the case. MakeMKV can backup the disc, but with a hash error.

I emailed the retailer about what’s the return/replacement process on this, I told them the disc has a scratch and ”when I scanned the disc it shows hash errors”. To this they responded with that they can’t help me if it shows an error on PC, as a dedicated player would still play it normally.

I think I just have to eat the costs of this and never buy from this retailer, but is this sitation still salvagable? Is there a way for me to find out which track the scratch happens on, so I could just deselect it from MakeMKV? MakeMKV says at least some errors happen while reading /BDMV/STREAM/00002.m2ts, but I have no idea how to find which audio/subtitle/video track is.
Tell the seller you tried it on a UHD player (or 2) and it still wouldn't play properly and demand a return/replacement. You should not mention trying the disc on a computer.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Re: 4K Blu-Ray doesn’t rip properly due to a scratch

Post by dcoke22 »

philp wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:27 am
Is there a way for me to find out which track the scratch happens on, so I could just deselect it from MakeMKV? MakeMKV says at least some errors happen while reading /BDMV/STREAM/00002.m2ts, but I have no idea how to find which audio/subtitle/video track is.
When you highlight a title on the left, on the right there will be a bunch of information about that title. One of those lines will be 'segment map'. The number(s) in the segment map correspond to the names of the .m2ts files that make up that title, so look for a title with 2 in the segment map.