Star Trek Discovery Not Ripping

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
AgentFoxMalder

Star Trek Discovery Not Ripping

Post by AgentFoxMalder »

Im getting a number of similar but slightly different errors on each disc of Star Trek Discovery (the Blu Ray).

I have 2 drives, a USB Matushita BluRay drive, and a Pioneer BDR-212U which i got from the forums here pre-flashed to rip UHD discs.

Starting with Season 1 and 2 im getting an issue with the Pioneer where the whole drive seems to lock up and stop transferring data for a time before continuing. Any attempt to ping the drive for any reason is met with app lockups and "not responding" messages. Eventually, when it starts transferring again, all is normal until it locks up. Both drives do this, but the USB drive is more prone to read errors.

I am also having trouble saving the files themselves, often with errors indicating AV Sync issues or corrupt hashes.

Is there a solution to this? Am I missing something?
dcoke22

Re: Star Trek Discovery Not Ripping

Post by dcoke22 »

If you post a MakeMKV log file from one of your rip attempts, we could make more educated comments about what you're seeing.

In general, AV Sync messages can be ignored; they're informational.

Corrupt hash messages usually mean the optical was unable to correctly read the optical disc. The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again.
AgentFoxMalder

Re: Star Trek Discovery Not Ripping

Post by AgentFoxMalder »

It takes several hours to "fail" outright.

But ive attached a screenshot of what i see when the drive is locked up. It says its reading, but the read light is not on. Eventually it will start up and continue slowly, and stop again.

Yesterday the "remaining time" got up to 300 hours before the drive disappeared from windows, i guess the firmware hard reset for some reason.

I have ripped UHD, Blu-Ray, and DVDs on this drive in the past with no issues, and it was reading 20+ MB/s.

Once/If it fails ill post a dump of the logs. I would say its the drive, but both of my readers do this to varying degrees, and across at least 8 discs from this show specifically.

I should also note that the same disc in the same drive will play in PowerDVD just fine.