Dolby Atmos audio playback issue

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
nathanielfisher

Dolby Atmos audio playback issue

Post by nathanielfisher »

Hello,

I have ripped my Downton Abbey 2 BluRay and a BluRay of the 9 Symphonies by Beethoven. Both of them have a Dolby Atmos track.
In MakeMKV the track codec also indicates TrueHD Atmos with 8 channels and the 7.1 layout.

If I play this file via plex on my AppleTV 4K my Marantz Cinema 70s does have the information about the fronts, center, surrounds and back surrounds.
My Setup although doesn't have have back surrounds however I have two front heights.

My Question now is if the 7.1 track is the only Atmos track that can be extracted and there are only informations for the back surrounds in this codec or is it possible to somehow take usage of my front heights. Maybe a setting?

I hope my text is understandable. :)

Thanks in advance!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Dolby Atmos audio playback issue

Post by MartyMcNuts »

nathanielfisher wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 am
Hello,

I have ripped my Downton Abbey 2 BluRay and a BluRay of the 9 Symphonies by Beethoven. Both of them have a Dolby Atmos track.
In MakeMKV the track codec also indicates TrueHD Atmos with 8 channels and the 7.1 layout.

If I play this file via plex on my AppleTV 4K my Marantz Cinema 70s does have the information about the fronts, center, surrounds and back surrounds.
My Setup although doesn't have have back surrounds however I have two front heights.

My Question now is if the 7.1 track is the only Atmos track that can be extracted and there are only informations for the back surrounds in this codec or is it possible to somehow take usage of my front heights. Maybe a setting?

I hope my text is understandable. :)

Thanks in advance!
The track itself is trueHD 7.1 + Atmos. This means that on a system that doesn't have Atmos, it will play standard trueHD audio up to 7.1 channels but on a system that does have Atmos, it will also utilise the Atmos metadata within the audio track and send the Atmos sounds to any connected Atmos speakers.

It sounds like you are using a 5.1.2 setup? So long as you have configured your speakers correctly and that the Cinema 70 can do Atmos, then if the audio track is trueHD+ Atmos, it will play as 5.1 plus send the Atmos sounds to your height speakers.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
nathanielfisher

Post by nathanielfisher »

Thanks for the answer!

If I look in the my speaker configuration on my Marantz there is Dolby Atmos as supported playback formats.
So I am understanding it correctly that my Receiver will only use the Atmos sounds for the front heights that are contained in the trueHD 7.1 audio? That would be correct and everything is fine.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

nathanielfisher wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:43 am
Thanks for the answer!

If I look in the my speaker configuration on my Marantz there is Dolby Atmos as supported playback formats.
So I am understanding it correctly that my Receiver will only use the Atmos sounds for the front heights that are contained in the trueHD 7.1 audio? That would be correct and everything is fine.
Yes, as long as your height speakers are connected to the height speaker connections of the receiver.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com