Why does MakeMKV create these dump files please?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MrPenguin

Why does MakeMKV create these dump files please?

Post by MrPenguin »

Hi,

I have recently started playing with MakeMKV and BluRay disks, and have discovered these files in my $HOME/.MakeMKV folder:

Code: Select all

MKB_v76_unkn0wn_44DE.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_5492.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_8A04.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_987C.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_BFDC.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_C7CC.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_EA92.tgz
MKB_v76_unkn0wn_F30A.tgz
Should I email these files to svq@makemkv.com please? I am assuming that MakeMKV has created them for some reason... :|

Thanks for any assistance.
dcoke22

Re: Why does MakeMKV create these dump files please?

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV creates dump files for 4K UHD discs for which it doesn't have the decryption key and can't download it. This is typically just when a new UHD gets released.

It shouldn't make one nor need a decryption key for a regular blu-ray.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

It shouldn't make one nor need a decryption key for a regular blu-ray.
MakeMKV can certainly play all of these BluRays already, and so I can only assume that it has created these dump files because it cannot find any of their VUKs in KEYDB.cfg :?.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has its own key generation routines, so it doesn't make use of keydb.cfg unless asked to. You can set it up to create AND SAVE the files you're seeing, though.

Normally, it only saves ones that are new, and need a key generated. I have some form early 2022 like that. (really need to clean up my MakeMKV data directory one of these days...)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

MakeMKV has its own key generation routines, so it doesn't make use of keydb.cfg unless asked to. You can set it up to create AND SAVE the files you're seeing, though.
I am using the Linux version of MakeMKV 1.17.5, and cannot find any such options in the "Preferences", even after enabling "Expert" mode.

An option to update KEYDB.cfg would be very handy :wink:.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Sending updates to keydb.cfg would have to be added to the program, so you'll have to make that suggestion... :)

Updating your local copy would be problematic, because it would be overwritten the next time you updated it from source. You essentially need to have MakeMKV send the update request for you, then pull a copy later. Not sure if the authors of the text file would allow that, since they'd not have any proof that it worked. Updating public databases has been hard in the last 10 years.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Sending updates to keydb.cfg would have to be added to the program, so you'll have to make that suggestion... :)
To be fair, I was hoping that emailing those dump files to svq@makemkv.com would add those entries to the online database. As a Linux user, I don't have any other practical alternative for obtaining the VUKs for MKBv76 discs.