Contact (1997) Blu ray - multiple titles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
labodeguitadelmedio

Contact (1997) Blu ray - multiple titles

Post by labodeguitadelmedio »

Hi, apologies if this has been covered - I have tried to find it!

Can anybody please confirm what the correct playlist/title file is on the Contact (1997) UK Blu-ray from 2009? I'm getting two titles that look identical in file size, film length etc. except for localised audio files and source file names; something seems off as I can't imagine two titles with different localised audio would come up exactly the same file size. I can't open it up in VLC to check (on a Mac and the usual methods are... not cooperating) and don't have a physical player otherwise, so I've got no way to check.

Thank you in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Contact (1997) Blu ray - multiple titles

Post by Woodstock »

A possibility is that there is one group of files that contains ALL audio, ALL subtitle tracks, and other files that use that "master" group to give individual versions. Several GDisk titles I have are like that. Getting my normal "Japanese+English" tracks are a pain to do, because they have "English" and "Japanese" as separate videos, even though the disk has ONE master track.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
labodeguitadelmedio

Interesting - that's not totally dissimilar to what I'm seeing (although ironically the second title is just English and Japanese!). Would MakeMKV be pulling the file size from this 'master' group then, rather than calculating it based on the audio files included under each title?

My main concern is, of course, ensuring I don't end up with a scrambled title - no segments etc are showing up. Is this something I would be able to use mkvtoolnix (on Mac) to check?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

For 'source file name', are both a 5 digit number with a .mpls extension (#####.mpls)? If so, presumably the numbers are different?

Or is one #####.mpls and the other is #####.m2ts? If this is the case, then when the .mpls title is selected, does the number listed in the 'segment map' match the number for .m2ts version (minus any leading zeros)? If this is the case, the .m2ts title can be ignored and the title with the .mpls source file name is the correct one.
labodeguitadelmedio

Source files are .mpls for both, and yes, both file names are five digits (00000.mlps for most languages and 00001.mlps for English/Japanese). No difference in the segment counts, segment maps, or chapter counts - there's an obvious dummy title showing 34 chapters on a 5.40 min file, for comparison. And, obviously, no difference in the actual run times (which I'm about 99.9% certain is the correct one).

If the answer to this does end up being 'they're both the same except for the audio' that'll obviously be happier days than the alternative :)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If the segment maps are the same, but the .mpls file is different, then it is a case of just the available languages being different. Choose whichever title has the audio language(s) you prefer.

You can think of .mpls files as a playlist of .m2ts files (aka segments). Chapter information is stored in .mpls files as well as which languages are available.

If you were to make a decrypted backup of the movie and look in the BDMV/STREAM/ folder you'd find a bunch of files named #####.m2ts. These are the actual movie files on the blu-ray. If you played one (with VLC or whatever) from the segment map listed for the movie you'd find it contained all the audio and subtitle tracks that are available on that disc.
labodeguitadelmedio

Thank you for this tip, it's really helpful :)

I think I've now successfully got it and it looks like this panned out okay so, to the next...
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

What's the current state of using Win Software on MACs? You could try BDInfo on this one.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
labodeguitadelmedio

Chetwood wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:59 am
What's the current state of using Win Software on MACs? You could try BDInfo on this one.
Hi, thanks for this - can't get it working unfortunately, it's not letting me select the BDMV file/folder even from a backup and just generally seems to not want to work. Thank you for the tip though, I'll keep an eye on it :)