Subtitles and Audio

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Sirmingham

Subtitles and Audio

Post by Sirmingham »

I recently ripped a tv show off of a blu ray but it's in another language, requiring me to turn on the English sub. I would like to put hardcode subtitles onto the show so that I won't have to use a program like VLC to be able to enable the subtitle track, but I have no idea how to do that. I would like to do the same with the audio because it seems to play only on VLC. Is there any way I can make it so that each episode is ready with subtitles and audio whenever I open the file?
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles and Audio

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, but it requires working with other tools, such as handbrake and mkvtoolnix. Your procedure will depend on how you intend to play the video; the most simple is simply tagging the subtitles to be default and forced, which can be done with mkvtoolnix, but not all players will automatically play them. Some require them to be in a certain order within the video to "always work".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sirmingham

Post by Sirmingham »

If I can, I’d like to be able to have it kind of like a MP4 where the video and audio tracks are separated instead of all in one file. That way it’d be easier to play the video without using a dedicated program to pick which audio or subtitle track it needs to use. Also, I apologize if I’m not making too much sense or if I’m just asking dumb questions. This is my first time ripping blu rays so a lot of this knowledge is very new to me.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Both MKV and MP4 are "combined files", with individual tracks within them, so it's really about which apps will play them. :)

The difference is really in what each accepts. MKV files, for example, can have a number of different formats for subtitles/captions that MP4 files do not allow. Bluray subtitles is one of those types. If you try to put the subtitles from an MKV file into an MP4, most tools (like handbrake) will burn one of them in. The choice is which one.

Personally, I tell MakeMKV to rip ALL subtitles into the MKV file, then select the one I want burned in with handbrake later (assuming I'm writing an MP4). Automated method don't always work for this, because some sources (like a recent Cruchyroll BD set) have six different subtitles on the tracks, two of which are English. Which one do you "burn in"? (track 4 if you're using English audio, on this set). A tool like handbrake, after the rip, makes that an easy decision.

But if you're dealing with ONE audio track and ONE subtitle track, it's simpler - just converting the MKV file to MP4 in handbrake would automatically burn the one subtitle track in for you, if you select it.

If you don't want it burned in, but "automatically displayed", mkvtoolnix lets you do that by setting flags within the MKV file. Flag the track you want to have automatically displayed as "default" and "forced", and you cover most players. No need to burn the track in for modern players.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sirmingham

Post by Sirmingham »

Ah I understand. For the most part anyway lol. I appreciate your help very much. I’ll try those softwares when I have some time.
Raphdude

Post by Raphdude »

Hi, I hope it's alright if I join this discussion.

I recently ripped a 4K movie in a non-english language to mkv using makemkv, and I want to add English subtitles from a 1080p BD to the 4K 2160p.

I've ripped the 1080p version to MKV as well. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks!:)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Raphdude wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:47 am
Hi, I hope it's alright if I join this discussion.

I recently ripped a 4K movie in a non-english language to mkv using makemkv, and I want to add English subtitles from a 1080p BD to the 4K 2160p.

I've ripped the 1080p version to MKV as well. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I've never done what you're trying to do, but I would start with MKVToolNix.
Raphdude

Post by Raphdude »

Thank you very much! Is there a workaround to get MKVtoolnix installed on Mac without iOS blocking the installation?
I've always been able to over-ride and get makemkv installed (or any other program) but not MKVtoolnix.
Any suggestions?

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you trying to install using Homebrew? Or downloading the .dmg from MKVToolNix's website?

Whenever I want to use the GUI, I just use the app from the .dmg from the website.

macOS informs me that MKVToolNix.app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it malicious software. I clear that message and launch it a second time, taking care to right-click on the app and select open from the context menu, where I'm presented with the same message but also a button to open it anyway.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491