Cartoon movies often have multiple versions - Easy way to find the right one to keep?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Hoggorm

Cartoon movies often have multiple versions - Easy way to find the right one to keep?

Post by Hoggorm »

Hello,

Living in Norway there are often multiple versions of a children’s/cartoon movie. Differences are usually a short scene where text appear in Norwegian (or any other language included in the disc) rather than the movie language English.

It is easy to find the Norwegian and English audio tracks and keep them in the MKV file I create. However, since most often all Scandinavian countries including Spanish, German, French, Italian and so forth also is included in Blu-Rays bought in Norway, the video part of the MKV can be many possible versions. I often rip them all and try to identify the one I want afterwards (either English or Norwegian).

Unfortunately, there is a new problem arising here. Where is the scene with the text that has been swapped out? If this is just a few seconds it can be easy to miss...

Without watching the entire movie to hopefully see where it is - is there an easy way to identify the correct video version the same way I can identify the correct audio tracks?
dcoke22

Re: Cartoon movies often have multiple versions - Easy way to find the right one to keep?

Post by dcoke22 »

Almost always blu-rays use something called seamless branching to implement multiple versions of the same movie on a disc.

A post about seamless branching: viewtopic.php?p=131413#p131413

A post about file structure: viewtopic.php?p=130458#p130458

After reading those posts, you'll be ready to make a decrypted backup of a movie. Compare the segment maps of the titles to find the differences and view the different segments (the .m2ts files) directly (via VLC or MPV or your favorite player) to find which title contains the languages you're looking for.

Once you find the right titles, you can make .mkv files from the backup.
Hoggorm

Re: Cartoon movies often have multiple versions - Easy way to find the right one to keep?

Post by Hoggorm »

Hello dcoke22,

Yes, I see what you mean now! I did ready your two posts before making my own here, but I did not understand fully how I could use them to my advantage. I think I understand what I should do and will try this in the next few days.

Thank you.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

It should be much easier, if you take a look at the segments of each of the big movies.

Different language parts are in different segment parts. So e.g. if a movie has 2 languages and the main movie has 10 segments, it could be like this:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 for the movie in original language
1, 11, 3, 4, 12, 6, 13, 8, 9, 10 for the movie in another language

So you only have to take a look at the segment files which differ on the playlists (usually only possible with a decrypted backup).

You just have to open e.g. 00011.m2ts (in BDMV\Stream) to see, what language is used in the segment for the second playlist.
garretn

Post by garretn »

Another thing I've noticed is often times the different versions don't include the same audio languages, so you can often identify what you're after by just expanding the titles in MakeMKV and keeping an eye on that.

Also, for Disney titles -- and often Disney-owned -- the discs are all mastered the same way. I'm not sure which is which for languages other then English, but English is always playlist 800 for example.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:47 pm
Compare the segment maps of the titles to find the differences and view the different segments (the .m2ts files) directly (via VLC or MPV or your favorite player) to find which title contains the languages you're looking for.
I just tried this now on a Disney Pixar movie and see that VLC is unable to play the m2ts files. I tried with several other movie players also, Windows Media Player and one other. All say the m2ts format is not supported...

What do you suggest?
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

The disk was not decrypted. After backing it up again with decryption the files opened ok.
JenishJohn12

Post by JenishJohn12 »

Yeah Cartoons Movies have multiple versions but the easy way is to go for the original one and you can find that by languages in each version. Real version has the the language of cartoon origin region and with accurate dialogue but as these cartoon get dubbed their dialogue and way of message delivery also change.