Panasonic TV Limitations and knowing what to select

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
KingJohn

Panasonic TV Limitations and knowing what to select

Post by KingJohn »

Hi all, I've spent a lot of time playing with 4K and not taking any interest in the audio, I have a Panasonic TX-58JX850B dont mean a lot to me, at the time I bought it I was making sure it supported DLNA as I store my DVD collection on WD Nas drives and play the back via the DLNA port.

I normal use a converter that converts most type of formats to a Panasonic TV, its in its list, doing so it makes small MP4 files, video is good and audio is also fine.

Now as time moved on Ive always wanted a sound Bar, I think the TV says it plays Atomos, I know nothing about that, well I found out it suppose to play the sound at a particular location, the TV with all those speakers inside isnt going to do it like it was supposed too.

So I moved on from DVD and rip blue ray, again just looking at ways to make them 4K, I give up my bluray writer, which I use for reading/ripping is a good OLD LG M DISK which use to be inside my PC, in fact 2 of them, thinking if I get a blue ray writer it be a good quality DVD ripper.

Sorry its long and irrelevant, ill try to get to the point

Im now trying to produce a MKV file that has dolby 5.1 and at the same time make sure it works on my Panasonic TV

Some very strange things happened, I didn't really select much in the MKV ripper, and just ripped without sub titles, and found the biggest title.. thats it

Now I'm trying to learn the jargon, I ripped my collection of Pirates of the Caribbean, sorry I just didn't know the TV supports MKV I was struggling to get MP4 to work. But I did rip them all, and put away the original disks safe, just like I use to do with DVDs, I never give copies, just for my own use, large collection, I even had to get rid of the cases there was so many.

Sorry again, I can just jump in at the end because I really don't know what I'm doing, The Pirates of the Caribbean disks 1 to 3 play good on the TV, I didnt have the sound bar at the time, and didn't check them, but I only just found out that this new Panasonic TV has a different support to my older Samsung, So I had to go through the MP4 files and see which didn't play (Not supported) no audio mostly.

So I must have selected something in MKV ripper while doing 1 to 3, and something else when doing 4 and 5, Ive put an attachment on which has 1 that plays, and has AC3 5.1 English and the one that dont work is DTS 5.1 English

So while now doing the Jurassic park blu rays, I came across the fault that the TV says it does not support the audio, So I though, thats strange all the Pirate movies were ok, and tested them, oops 5 and 6 dont play the audio.

Im sorry I jump in at the deep end without learning to swim, I dont know what I can select, but when I see AC3n 5.1 English, Im thinking that is dolby 5.1 or am I wrong? I dont know what DTS 5.1 is, Digital xx Sound?

Which brings me back to MKV I really now dont know what I should select, Ive pout up an image (I think) of what Im about to do, so have I been just ripping stereo, and its not possible to make a dolby 5.1 that plays on the Panasonic, with the very high quality but 32Gb size

attachments works
works.png
works.png (239.13 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
dont work
dont work.png
dont work.png (45.39 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Snapshot of what Im about to try
MKV.png
MKV.png (72.96 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Sorry this is a lot of information, sorry I really do need to read up a lot, but when you been up all night long unit 5am everyday for 3 days, you hope some kind person will tell me what I can and cannot do, and why some rips play perfect audio, and even though it comes through the sound bar, I dont think for one min its in 5.1

My Bluray Panasonic 4k 3D player, really does work well in the sound bar, yes I know the TV has Atomos, but built in, I need to break out :)

Thanks in advance, if you can tell me what to select in the MKV title list, and thats the best I can do considering the panasonic TV limitations

BTW, the rips don't stay on the NAS drive forever, probably a year max, don't have enough room to keep them all, and I have all the originals safe, no scratches etc

John, Coventry, central UK
KingJohn

Re: Panasonic TV Limitations and knowing what to select

Post by KingJohn »

As an update to this, the last selection did work, and I transferred it to the NAS, the TV plays it, just by chance i had upgraded my router for wifi 6, and it has a 2.5g WAN port, i decided to connect the movie NAS drive to that, with great transfer results.

So the TV plays a perfect video now, and i am having special effects out of the sound bar, i cant fast foward the movie as it stutters, but it plays from start to end.

At last i can hear the thud in my woofer, and a rustle sound in the back speakers of the velociraptors, its amazing.

now i'm hooked and need a 4K bluray writer that will make a good 4K ripper, don't have a clue if the stream will be too big, so far i'm getting away with it.

Now need a dolby Atomos, separate speakers system :D

MKV is great, only used it this week, but learning fast, i guess i will be buying it, so how about any comments on trouble i might get.

Back to Jurassic park, 1,2,3 and 6 with the horrid extension :D done, and its good to be able to select my movie collection without having to get up as im disabled... These disks are costing me a fortune, first dvd, then bluray, now 4k, i bought them all, heck forget 8K i don't want to know
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

KingJohn wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:02 am
Im sorry I jump in at the deep end without learning to swim, I dont know what I can select, but when I see AC3n 5.1 English, Im thinking that is dolby 5.1 or am I wrong? I dont know what DTS 5.1 is, Digital xx Sound?
There are two major companies that compete against one another regarding multi-channel audio formats for movies. One is Dolby and the other is DTS.

Dolby makes the ubiquitous Dolby Digital (aka AC-3) and it makes Dolby TrueHD, which is a newer, lossless multichannel audio format. Dolby Atmos is an even newer multichannel format that adds in 'height' to the audio mix.

DTS makes a 5.1 multichannel format called DTS that is very similar to Dolby Digital. They also make DTS-HD Master Audio that, like Dolby TrueHD, is a newer lossless multichannel format. Finally, they make something called DTS:X that competes with Dolby Atmos.

DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHDs might have some form of Dolby multichannel sound or some form of DTS multichannel sound, rarely both.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

When I make a rip of a disc, I keep all the relevant audio tracks in their original formats in the resulting .mkv file. This is the 'archival' copy if you will. In the case of blu-rays, I then choose to transcode, creating a version with more compressed video and simplified audio (usually a 'standard' Dolby Digital 5.1 track). This smaller file (usually one third the size of the original) then gets plopped onto my Plex server for my local use.

I keep my 'archival' rip as well, since over time, whatever the common and easily accessible audio and video formats are will change. Having the original rip will let me transcode again in the future if necessary.