BD Not Rippable, but Playable

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jhyler

BD Not Rippable, but Playable

Post by jhyler »

I have a BD (BD+, actually) that MakeMKV can't rip due to a minor scratch on the disk. None of the other ripping programs I've tried can rip the disk either. I've done all the usual things one does to try to rescue a problem disk without success.

However, when using DVD player software rather than ripping software, the disk plays. There is a "hiccup" at the point of the error, but it's quite acceptable to me.

So what I'm about to do is play the disk, but with the HDMI output plugged into a capture card and "rip" it that way. I expect to pay a quality penalty doing it this way, but this seems to be all I can do. (Let's not talk about HDCP here, please).

Does anyone know of any "all-in-one" softare that can rip disks this way? I've never heard of any. Is there some reason nobody provides this kind of approach for imperfect disks?
Woodstock

Re: BD Not Rippable, but Playable

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping software will generally abort when it hits an unreadable section of a disk. Did cleaning not help?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jhyler

Post by jhyler »

Cleaning with water/rubbing alcohol/toothpaste - none of that worked. I actually did find a way to make it work, though. Not wanting to plug the competition here, but I did find a fabulous alternative ripper that, when it detected the error, allowed me to tell it to ignore errors, and it took a while but it did successfully rip the disk, though that "hiccup" I mentioned is still there. The ripped playback pixellates and then drops out for maybe two seconds, then picks up again as if nothint happened.

Good enough for me.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

jhyler wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:02 pm
Cleaning with water/rubbing alcohol/toothpaste - none of that worked. I actually did find a way to make it work, though. Not wanting to plug the competition here, but I did find a fabulous alternative ripper that, when it detected the error, allowed me to tell it to ignore errors, and it took a while but it did successfully rip the disk, though that "hiccup" I mentioned is still there. The ripped playback pixellates and then drops out for maybe two seconds, then picks up again as if nothint happened.

Good enough for me.
Out of interest what was the fabulous alternative ripper that had this bypass option?

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
DataMeister

Post by DataMeister »

I was just thinking about this too, because of a scratched disc that won't rip. Like the OP, my disc will play in a player and at one point will freeze for a few seconds then pick back up in what looks like 4-5 seconds later in the movie.

It seems like there should be a way for a ripping software to "fake" the data in areas like this to make a file that still works. With a backup, a few missing seconds out of the movie is better than no backup at all.

Blu-rays are not compressed like a TV Broadcast, but there is an app called TS-Doctor that can do repairs to an OTA recording that has been corrupted. It can't replace the corrupted data so you still see pixelation or hear audio glitches, but it can fix file errors that cause a player to lock up or crash.