Blu-Ray Backup

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dcow36

Blu-Ray Backup

Post by dcow36 »

I am new to the backing things up and I have run into an issue.

When I backup a blu-ray, instead of an .iso file as I was expecting, and as I get with a DVD, I got a folder with a bunch of other folders inside. What I was looking for (hoping for?) was an .iso file (or something like it?) I could use to preserve the Blu-Ray disc experience in a digital format. Am I doing something wrong or is there another step involved that I haven't found yet?
Woodstock

Re: Blu-Ray Backup

Post by Woodstock »

Bluray backup is creating the file structure of the BD, not an ISO. It's basically a copy of the BD, without the encryption (if you asked for decryption).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcow36

Post by dcow36 »

What can those files be used for then? Not to sound dense, but that backup doesn’t seem particularly useful. In the format that the backup exists in, can it be burned to a new disc in that format? Or played? And, is there a way to create a playable .iso or similar type file with MakeMKV? I tried another program that claimed to do it and while I got an .iso, nothing seemed to be able to play it
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dcow36 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:03 pm
I am new to the backing things up and I have run into an issue.

When I backup a blu-ray, instead of an .iso file as I was expecting, and as I get with a DVD, I got a folder with a bunch of other folders inside. What I was looking for (hoping for?) was an .iso file (or something like it?) I could use to preserve the Blu-Ray disc experience in a digital format. Am I doing something wrong or is there another step involved that I haven't found yet?
MakeMKV doesn't create iso files. You can use something like ImgBurn or Nero etc to create an iso from that decrypted folder backup you just created.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What can those files be used for then?
Strangely, I find them easy to play, when I bother to use them. You simply have your player (I use VLC) open the same file it opens when loading a BD, and then you have the menus and everything from the BD. I don't bother, because I rarely want the "extra inventory" involved, and you can't really compress the files and still have them work.

I didn't buy the BD for the extras, I bought it because of the movie.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In addition to VLC, there are hardware players like various Dune HD models that can read the decrypted folder structure made by MakeMKV.

It is important to note that MakeMKV can defeat the encryption on a blu-ray or UHD. Most programs that create .iso files can't. If you try to copy a disc without defeating the encryption, the copy's contents will be scrambled. What is LibreDrive?

Personally, the thing I've enjoyed most about digitizing my movie collection is breaking free of the 'blu-ray' experience. I generally find the menus, FBI warnings, forced trailers, and all the other junk annoying. I do like the 'extras' on most discs, however. I've found that Plex lets me easily watch the movie and all the extras (assuming I've ripped them as well).
Last edited by dcoke22 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcow36

Post by dcow36 »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm
Strangely, I find them easy to play, when I bother to use them. You simply have your player (I use VLC) open the same file it opens when loading a BD, and then you have the menus and everything from the BD. I don't bother, because I rarely want the "extra inventory" involved, and you can't really compress the files and still have them work.
I didn’t know you could open those files with VLC. I ended up using imgburn and it worked perfectly but I wouldn’t mind skipping that step. I’ll need to look closer at VLC to figure that out.

Eventually I plan on having all the movie and show content accessible by Plex and the .iso as well for if I want the special features. I thought that was the only way to persevere those things, but it sounds like I am wrong and this process may be able to be a bit faster. Original plan was to rip the main movie/show, then do the back up/.iso creation. But, from what I am reading here, maybe not?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dcow36 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:55 pm
I didn’t know you could open those files with VLC. I ended up using imgburn and it worked perfectly but I wouldn’t mind skipping that step. I’ll need to look closer at VLC to figure that out.

Eventually I plan on having all the movie and show content accessible by Plex and the .iso as well for if I want the special features. I thought that was the only way to persevere those things, but it sounds like I am wrong and this process may be able to be a bit faster. Original plan was to rip the main movie/show, then do the back up/.iso creation. But, from what I am reading here, maybe not?
to open the folders with vlc you do open disc bluray then point it to the movie folder
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

dcow36 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 pm
Plex Local Files for Movie Trailers and Extras
dcow36

Post by dcow36 »

Wow. There is a really good chance you guys have changed my life. Thanks for the help!