Ripping Errors ?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
zarc987

Ripping Errors ?

Post by zarc987 »

After successfully ripping the Blu-Ray, whenever I skip to another scene, theres whole screen of random colors then it returns to normal. If I don't skip, this does not occur. This happened with this specific film. I bought 2 copies of it in NEW condition. What is going on ?

This is that picture. https://ibb.co/1vW837b
Woodstock

Re: Ripping Errors ?

Post by Woodstock »

The picture in your link gives an error displaying, but...

Sometimes I have a similar reaction when I play something back that has been ripped. The distortion moves around... it isn't permanently in one place. The error is in the seek to a new location, not in the movie itself.

If you seek to a location that is the start of a frame, no problem. If you seek to someplace between full frames, you get part of the old frame and part of the new frame, which does NOT look right. Many videos have "full frames" a couple of times per second. Some go several seconds between full frames. Seeking to a scene change usually takes you to a full-frame, rather than a mid-frame in a series. But there is no guarantee of that.

Generally speaking, if MakeMKV finished the rip, it is a copy of what's on the disk. Processing the output through something like handbrake will change where the "full-frame" frames happen, sometimes to 4-6 frames apart, making it very difficult to hit a partial frame.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 am
What do you recommend to fix this ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My "solution" is handbrake, for my usage. But that may not work for what you're seeing.

The issue I'm seeing is that the picture isn't complete where I tell it to jump to. Handbrake shrinks that area to about 5-7 frames in my typical compression settings, but it may be 20-30 frames in the original. It's not visible if you pass through the entire area in a single read, but becomes VERY visible when you jump into the middle of it.
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:11 pm
My "solution" is handbrake.
I bought a total of 3 individual copies of the same movie. After ripping, all 3 have the same frame issue. Could it be the manufacturing error ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it is happening at the same point in the film, yes, it's likely a manufacturing defect. I when through this with one disk of Hercules. Two complete sets from the only place that had it for sale died at the same place. Ordered a copy from Netflix... two copies had the same error. Dug out an OLD DVD player, set the retry count ridiculously high, and got a copy of the problem track. None of my BD players could read it, all failing at the same point. The DVD player didn't like that point, either, but got through it with enough retries.

That is "unusual behaviour". But that doesn't mean it can't happen to others. When it happens, the track is tossed by MakeMKV, though, and not considered a successful read. If it's left on your hard drive, there wasn't a detected read error, and the checksum matched.

That doesn't affect playing, though. And optical disks are generally programmed so that jumps to the middle of a long sequence either start before or after the current block, so you don't see the middle stuff. That doesn't work with a hard-drive copy, where physical layout isn't enforced.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Out of curiosity, what player are you using to play your rips? What happens if you use a different player?
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 pm
Out of curiosity, what player are you using to play your rips? What happens if you use a different player?
Im using MPC-HC. The same problem exists for VLC.
Last edited by zarc987 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
H4rd3n

Post by H4rd3n »

I'm not a pro, so I hope I don't talk complete rubbish, but as far as I understood movie compression, this is caused by a missing index. See, a compressed movie is made by few full frames (I-Frame) and the others only contain the difference (P-Frame) to the previous (and sometimes in both directions, called B-Frame) full frame and other P-Frames. So, if you skip to a time, you will most probably end up between two I-Frames, so you don't have a complete picture and the player trying to make sense of only P- and B-Frames is the corrupted picture you're seeing. An Index tells the player, where the I-Frames are, so if you skip to a certain time, the player starts decoding from the previous I-Frame until your selected time and then shows the complete picture.

Maybe remuxing the movie with mkvtoolnix could help or rerender it with handbrake or fastflix will add an index, so you can skip and play the movie without corruption.

And what dcoke22 meant was, what player software are you using? VLC, WMP, Cyberlink?
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

H4rd3n wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:05 am
Maybe remuxing the movie with mkvtoolnix could help.

And what dcoke22 meant was, what player software are you using? VLC, WMP, Cyberlink?
I am using MPC-HC. The same problem exists in VLC too.
How do I remux it with mkvtoolnix ? What settings do I need to use ?
Last edited by zarc987 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Both Woodstock and H4rd3n have explained why you may get distortions after a skip. dcoke22 and H4rd3n have asked which computer application (player) you are using to view the video since a good player would likely display the pre-skip frame until it reached an I-frame after the skip. Woodstock has suggested using HandBrake. Have you tried these suggestions?

Remuxing with mkvtoolnix means you load your mkv file into mkvtoolnix and press the remux button.

Since your problem does not involve MakeMKV, you should do some research and experimentation on your own.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I happen to have a rip of a blu-ray Doctor Who episode handy. When I play it in VLC 3.0.18 on Apple Silicon I am unable replicate what the OP sees. I can occasionally get a few frames of macro blocking if I move the playhead back & forth in an erratic way, but it always clears up nearly instantly and is never the grey mess like in the picture. Skipping to the next chapter or moving the playhead seems to always work cleanly.

Here's the relevant video section from MediaInfo for my test .mkv file.

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 h 2 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 31.7 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 35.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.638
Stream size                              : 13.9 GiB (86%)
I can speculate a bit here. Maybe the particular blu-ray in question, whatever that is, is encoded in an unusual way which causes VLC or MPC-HC to need a few more frames before it can display the video properly.
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:01 am
Thankyou for your assistance. This is what I got on my MediaInfo. Maybe it'll help ?

Code: Select all

Video
ID                          : 1
ID in the original source m : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : High@L4.1
Format settings             : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, Reference  : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP        : M=1, N=10
Codec ID                    : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                    : 1 h 46 min
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 19.8 Mb/s
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.399
Stream size                 : 14.8 GiB (63%)
Language                    : English
Default                     : No
Forced                      : No
Original source medium      : Blu-ray
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The major difference I notice between my test rip and your rip is a different number of reference frames and your rip seems to have Group Of Pictures (GOP) information. If I understand what I've read about GOP, your video has 10 frames between I frames and your video needs two of them before the decoder can properly decode future frames of video. That would imply a best case scenario of the decoder needing to decode 11 frames of video before it can work properly and a worst case scenario of 20 frames. This seems like a reasonable explanation of the underlying cause of the behavior you describe.

Take everything I just said with a grain of salt since I'm an internet novice on this topic.
Last edited by dcoke22 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zarc987

Post by zarc987 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:56 am
Take everything I just said with a grain of salt since I'm an internet novice on this topic.
Evidently, you know a lot more than me