Using MKV to copy Blu-Rays

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
JVEM23

Using MKV to copy Blu-Rays

Post by JVEM23 »

Hello all.

My goal: I want to be able to rip commercial Blu-Rays which friends lend me, use Toast to burn the info on to a blank Blu-Ray, and then be able to watch the copied Blu-Ray as if it were the original disc.

My problem: Every time I use MKV to rip Blu-Rays, and then use Toast to burn, the copies don't come out right (Examples: They take me to a "Media Center" rather than the disc's original main menu. When the movie plays, I often can't switch audio tracks, turn on subtitles, etc).

Note: For years, I've used Mactheripper to rip DVDs, and then Toast to burn them, and this always has and still does work perfectly for DVDs. But Mactheripper only rips DVDs and not Blu-Rays.

So my main questions are: Am I doing something wrong with MKV? Or should MKV not be able to do this?
Ezatoka

Re: Using MKV to copy Blu-Rays

Post by Ezatoka »

Do you end up with a bunch of MKV files or with three directories? You'll need the latter one.

You need to make a backup of the whole disc, not "open" it (where you can select, which tracks are put into a MKV).
JVEM23

Post by JVEM23 »

I end up with three directories.

How do I make this backup of the whole disc?
JVEM23

Post by JVEM23 »

I tried using MakeMKV to backup a whole disc. Then I used Toast to burn it to a new Blu-Ray. But when I put that copied Blu-Ray in my player, nothing played.

Please remember: I am using Mactheripper to rip DVDs, and then Toast to burn them to blank DVDS, and that all works fine. This makes me believe that my problem is not in Toast, but in MakeMKV. I don't know if that means MakeMKV is not capable of ripping Blu-Rays as I'd like, or if I'm doing something wrong in the settings.

If only Mactheripper could rip Blu-Rays in addition to DVDs, I'd have no problem. But unfortunately, it doesn't (at least not the version I have).
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Is there a way to get a picture of that media center which is shown on the player then?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I haven't used Roxio Toast in a long time. I'm pretty sure you'll need the Blu-ray Disc Plugin.

viewtopic.php?p=17530

That thread says you should be able to point Toast at the BDMV from the decrypted backup and away you go. I don't have the software around to try it, so please let us know how it goes.

Side note: my copy of Toast DVD version 2 still starts and runs on macOS Monterey (Intel) which is astonishing, considering it has to be more than 20 years old. No blu-ray support though.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 pm
Is there a way to get a picture of that media center which is shown on the player then?
I'm guessing the OP is referring to a default navigation template that Toast can apply when you author a disc.
JVEM23

Post by JVEM23 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 pm
Here you go.
Attachments
DSC06872a.jpg
DSC06872a.jpg (804.86 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
JVEM23

Post by JVEM23 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:30 am
I haven't used Roxio Toast in a long time. I'm pretty sure you'll need the Blu-ray Disc Plugin.

viewtopic.php?p=17530

That thread says you should be able to point Toast at the BDMV from the decrypted backup and away you go. I don't have the software around to try it, so please let us know how it goes.

Side note: my copy of Toast DVD version 2 still starts and runs on macOS Monterey (Intel) which is astonishing, considering it has to be more than 20 years old. No blu-ray support though.
In early 2020, I got the latest version of Toast. I'm pretty sure my version should work for Blu-Rays.

Please remember: Even when I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs (and not Blu-Rays), and then try to use Toast to burn it to a DVD, it still takes me to this Media Center... Equally, when I rip a DVD with Mactheripper and then use Toast to burn it to a blank DVD, it works fine... My point is: I really think the problem I'm having is in MakeMKV, and not Toast.