Rip from ISO of a damaged disc?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
SquarePeg

Rip from ISO of a damaged disc?

Post by SquarePeg »

Hi guys

I've got a bit of a problem, one of my Bluray discs is damaged so I managed to use ddrescue to create an ISO file of it (took AGES because of the damage) and I'd like to be able to get the film off to put on my Emby server. Is there a way to do this? I've tried just opening the iso but makemkv just says 'Failed to open disc'. It will start opening the physical disc itself but I gave up trying that after it taking nearly 2 hours. As far as I can tell, the ISO is a perfect copy of the disc and even though it will probably take some time to open, it's still bound to take less time than the actual disc.

I've had the disc for months but only just got around to trying to watch it, only to find it's damaged. Wish I'd tried sooner now as I could've sent it back for a refund.

Thanks in advance
dcoke22

Re: Rip from ISO of a damaged disc?

Post by dcoke22 »

There are other posts on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23552

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16826

I've never had to go that route, so I don't have much experience with it.
thetoad

Re: Rip from ISO of a damaged disc?

Post by thetoad »

If you've been able to make a full 100% copy with ddrescue, use anydvd to decrypt.

If anydvd users have decrypted the disk before, all you have to do is use an iso mounter and anydvd will be able to decrypt the iso (as already knows the key).

if anydvd users have not decrypted the disk before, all you have to do is stick the broken physical disk into the machine, as long as anydvd can scan it (not read the whole thing), it will scan it and learn the key to the disc. you can then mount it like above.

or just do what mike suggested in the answer to the 2nd link above to me, about starting a full disc protected copy. stopping it quickly. copying the .dat file away, mounting / extracting the iso and copy the dat file back in. will have the equivalent of a protected copy.

With that said, this is probably only true if one has a bluray drive without bus encryption. If one's drives do have bus encryption, ddrescue probably created a scrambled copy and unsure the above will work (never tried, always invested in either non bus encrypted drives or drives that had libredrive available. Also note, if one does have a bus encrypted drive and libredrive available, always load makemkv first after one inserts the disc, have it scan it, loading libdredrive and then do ddrescue. This should prevent bus encryption.)