Two video files?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Smiggy

Two video files?

Post by Smiggy »

Hi,

I've ripped this Blu-ray movie, Journey to The Centre of the Earth, but when I open it in makemkv, there seems to the option to remove the video file, normally this isn't the case and for this movie, there are two video files.

Why is this?

Did I rip it incorrectly?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (363.57 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Smiggy

Re: Two video files?

Post by Smiggy »

Image corrected.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your image shows ONE file, which you've removed the video portion from. Is that what you want?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:01 am
Your image shows ONE file, which you've removed the video portion from. Is that what you want?
I don't understand what you mean.

Most of my rips look like this with no option to select.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (359.48 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Looking at the two images, one is from disk 1, the other from disk 2. Disk 1 has an optional video track that's been excluded. I would guess it's for a stereo picture.

I have rarely seen this option, because I don't do 3D. This is probably the secondary video channel needed for splitting the picture into stereo. The last 3D movie I bought as a test is in storage right now, but the 3D disk was separate from the 2D disk, and I remember the stereo video channel was marked as "MVC".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

It took me some eye-pinching to scan the screenshots. I think Woodstock is right with reading the additional MVC track.

FYI a 3D-BD carries two videostreams. The main AVC stream is the largest and holds independent (2D) video. Secondly there's a smaller, dependent MVC stream. This one contains differential videodata. With which - combined with the data in the 2D stream - a 3D capable player creates the videostream targeted to the other eye. So, for muxing a 3D mkv it is required to select MVC.
Not selecting it will result in "2D-only" video. Which saves space.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:36 pm
It took me some eye-pinching to scan the screenshots.
Out of Topic: Right click the image and open it in a new tab, then you can see it in original size.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Ezatoka wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:14 pm
Out of Topic: Right click the image and open it in a new tab, then you can see it in original size.
Didn't know this, thank you. Works like a charm.

Back on topic...
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:36 pm
It took me some eye-pinching to scan the screenshots. I think Woodstock is right with reading the additional MVC track.

FYI a 3D-BD carries two videostreams. The main AVC stream is the largest and holds independent (2D) video. Secondly there's a smaller, dependent MVC stream. This one contains differential videodata. With which - combined with the data in the 2D stream - a 3D capable player creates the videostream targeted to the other eye. So, for muxing a 3D mkv it is required to select MVC.
Not selecting it will result in "2D-only" video. Which saves space.
Hi,

Thank you.

What's confusing me, is other 3D BD movies I've ripped, like The Hobbit, I don't see this second video option?

I guess, I ripped them not realising I de-selected the 3D video option.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Smiggy wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:25 am
What's confusing me, is other 3D BD movies I've ripped, like The Hobbit, I don't see this second video option?

I guess, I ripped them not realising I de-selected the 3D video option.
Yes that's possible, but de-selecting something is a mindful act. Note that MakeMKV does not select MVC by default; you have to do that yourself. So probably that is what you didn't realise.